Help Needed! why is my 8 month old puppy still peeing in crate?

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
why is my 8 month old puppy still peeing in crate? She pees on a towel and pushes it to back of crate.. she has nothing to drink after 7 pm goes out at 830 9 for last time.. we get up at 6 am ...thanks

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Take the towel out. Many will pee on bedding or towels in their crate. I know it seems mean..but it's the key!
I totally agree w/Becky... I took out the bedding for Winston & it worked like a charm!!!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
That's what we did and he stopped immediately

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

OP
pinkbully

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
thanks we had tried that when she was younger about 3 to 4 months old and she still would pee in there but lick it up.. I will try again tonight and see how it goes since she is little older.. thanks

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello! My Maude is now 10 months old. When she was a little pup, she would whine during the night when she had to pee.(she sleeps in her crate).When she got older-she didn't wake up and whine-she would pee in her crate. I had to change/wash her bed once or twice a night. They go to bed between 8 and 9 p.m.-me,too. I started getting her up at about 11:30 p.m.(had to drag her out of crate-she didn't want to wake up) to go out. I realized that she is such a heavy sleeper that she just wet in her sleep. Now the last month, she has been sleeping until about 4:30 a.m. without peeing(I stopped the 11:30 run) and then she lets me know that she has to go! Maybe your pup is a heavy sleeper too, and you need to take her out a little later. Hope this may help. She was the first dog I had that didn't pee in her crate when little-and started it as she got a little older. Couldn't figure it out at first. I did limit the water, but that didn't seem to help.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
The other thing you are going to want to do is limit the amount of space she has in her crate. I know again it's hard because you feel like you are being mean. She should only have enough space in her crate at night to turn around, nothing more. Most of the time they won't go if they know they are going to have to lay in it.

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Definitely make the crate smaller with a divider so she only has room to stand up and turn around. Also take the towel out - without a towel she will be forced to sit in her pee, which she won't like at all. We never gave Bosco any bedding in his crate until we were certain he understood that was his den and he wouldn't pee in it.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Every puppies bladder control develops differently hers might still need some time. 9 to 9 1/2 hours may still be to long for her to hold her urine at night.

Once a pup has peed in a crate you also need to clean it extremely well with something like nature's miracle to cover the urine smell or she will think it is an okay place to pee. Bleach doesn't work.

Last edited:
OP
pinkbully

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
update I have been leaving the towel out of her cage and well I have to bath her every morning.. Its like she doesn't care that she is in pee.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I wish I could give you a magic answer to this. Daddy was and is the same. He did get a lot better as he got older but he's almost 3 years old and still pees his bedding!!! :down:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Her bladder may not be as developed to hold her pee. I know it is a aim for you, but you may need to wake up in the middle of the night or the her out for last or later n see if that helps. You are cleaning out the crate w something that removes the scent, yes?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Have you explored the possiblity of a UTI?? Dogs definately care and by nature do want want to be in their own puddles.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.