Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
As soon as the shark teeth fall out your puppy will probably become a normal puppy again. Loki was an @$$hole when he was teething he bit me so hard once that I actually bit him back. He didn't like that at all and he has never bitten me since not sure if it was the right thing to do but it worked.

I totally did the same thing with Sheldon and my husband said did you just bite the dog lmbo

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Same here! My Khloe has super sharp teeth! & they hurt!! I'm going to try putting her on her back and see how that goes. Whenever I redirect and give her a nylabone, it doesn't even phase her! This is a very annoying stage! Can't wait till it's over!

View attachment 51311

Oh Wait! Is that the old let me chew my bone on your leg so I can "accidently" nibble on you leg trick?? Brutus loves that one.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I totally did the same thing with Sheldon and my husband said did you just bite the dog lmbo

LOL shesh if I had known it would stop the biting I would have done the same with Fergus. His biting was insane when he had his baby teeth.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
it is such a whim reaction it is funny that someone else has done it too!

It certainly is lol it happened so fast that I didn't even realize what I had done till I had done it , but he never bit me too hard again he nibbles and he is so gentle when taking food from my hand.

Jenni0222

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hi all,

Just new to these forums- and had a question about puppy behavioural issues. We got a mini english bulldog when he was 8 weeks old, he is now 12 weeks.

Little Bosco has been driving us nuts since the week we got him. He is extremely nippy, constantly biting our feet/legs/pants/shoes. I assumed this was normal puppy play behaviour, but when we try to get him to stop - he becomes aggressive and goes on the attack, lunging at us/growling/barking and biting us harder. We have tried every training method out there to get him to stop, but absolutely nothing seems to work!!

Giving him time outs, or saying NO and deflecting his biting to toys doesn't seem to phase him - he couldn't care less about time outs or other toys.

Doing the high pitched yelp and ignoring him just gets him even more worked up - as did shaking the can of pennies, spray bottle, and bitter apple spray in his mouth. These things just make him extremely aggressive and this is when the growling and barking and lunging to bite us begins.

We exercise him a lot and give him a ton of play time so he doesn't get bored. But his biting just seems to be getting worse, and quite frankly I don't even want to play with him or be around him lately because all he wants to do is chew on me (it's starting to hurt) or destroy my pants/shoes.

Does anyone else have a puppy like this? Is this a bulldog thing? So frustrating - not sure what to do. :*(:confused::eek:
Help!
Hi we just aquired a two year unfixed boy. I would love too say I've fallen in love with him but at night after a walk or hanging out nicely, playing petting him it quickly turns to what I think is him saying he wants more petting or playing but it seems crazy like behavior. He starts biting feet hands stomaches knees and thighs. He gets very focused and nothing I do seems to make him stop. If I pull him away he lunges back full force and continues biting, and nipping. I duvet his attention and he comes right back to me. I've brought him outside too think about what is going on. Sometimes he calms down other times I let him inn and her immediately goes back into biting and nipping. I have an appointment in August for a neuter. I have Nott made an appointment with our vet yet to do a wellness exam. But I'm concerned because he is such a loving happy sweet boy but when this happens I don't want to be around him

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It sounds like he has not been taught manners when it comes to playing. Since he is older, it will take longer than if he was a pup. If you can not get his attention to calm him down, I would have a crate, and put him in it for time out.
Having him neutered will help, though it won't be immediate. It will take a month or so to calm the hormones, but he still needs training When he gets too wild, put him in the crate for time out. Do it each time he misbehaves like that.Stay consistent with your training. As you put him in say "calm down" "no biting". He is way to old to be biting like that.Never let him bite you.Perhaps someone teased him a lot.
He will eventually get the message.If he settles when he comes out say "good boy" and give him a special treat only for that. If he likes a ball, take him out and throw the ball for him. Wear him out(not if it's too hot!) If you have room or a basement, do it there.As you know, bullies can't take much heat. Start now and continue. After he is castrated, ask the Dr. how long before activity can resume. Stick with training, it can be done,it will take time and work!
I am sure others will have suggestions.too.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi we just aquired a two year unfixed boy. I would love too say I've fallen in love with him but at night after a walk or hanging out nicely, playing petting him it quickly turns to what I think is him saying he wants more petting or playing but it seems crazy like behavior. He starts biting feet hands stomaches knees and thighs. He gets very focused and nothing I do seems to make him stop. If I pull him away he lunges back full force and continues biting, and nipping. I duvet his attention and he comes right back to me. I've brought him outside too think about what is going on. Sometimes he calms down other times I let him inn and her immediately goes back into biting and nipping. I have an appointment in August for a neuter. I have Nott made an appointment with our vet yet to do a wellness exam. But I'm concerned because he is such a loving happy sweet boy but when this happens I don't want to be around him

I Definitely agree with what @Manydogs said.

Since he isn’t neutered and he has been allowed to be rude and behave the way he has and no manners, I wouldn’t expect his behaviour to change immediately as for the marking and dominance (if he does), cause some of those habits some dogs are used to being allowed to do those things and their behaviour takes longer to improve.

Definitely do NOT let him but you and act like this, he will only get worse if boundaries are not set soon.

Be consistent and patient when dealing with him, praise when he is good, pet him and play when he is in good behaviour. Definitely don’t recommend playing when he is being rude and not respectful to you.

I also agree with the crate, even if he isn’t crate trained, the crate is one of the best things, they know it’s a safe space for them and not a punishment, and they can go in and out and if you go out you can put him it there so he doesn’t get into anything.
But for you the main reason for the crate is put him in there to calm down. Or if he is being rude to you and biting, put him in the crate to settle.
If he barks or whines do NOT let him out or give affection(that’s rewarding bad behaviour),, he will test you to see if you will give in and let him out when he wants. He needs to calm down and also learn boundaries and patience.
If he is anything but calm in the crate, ignore it(I know easier said than done sometimes).

When he is quiet and calm, reward and tell him he is a good boy give treats and play/praise when you let him out if crate. I’m not saying to have him in the crate lots, just when he is in the bad behaviour times.

He will learn, it will take time but these dogs are extremely smart and will figure it out. Eventually you shouldn’t need to put him In the crate, he should be able to listen to the calm down command or be able to listen and respect you without biting or being rude.

When he bites, say in a firm different tone “No biting” .
Sounds like he got away with a lot at the other place or he had no rules/limits or the people weren’t good to him. But he will learn with you what is allowed and what is not.

I know this is also hard sometimes, but you need to stay calm and confident cause if your stressed, frustrated, upset etc. he will pick up on your energy and reflect it with bad behaviour.

It may help to work on commands with him too and give treats/affection when he listens.
You could for example start by practicing ‘sit’ or ‘lay down’ or ‘stay’
When he listens to you, praise, reward with high value treats and give affection. Say ‘yes good sit’ for example.

He will learn he has to listen to you and YOU are in charge NOT him.

Then when he does well with this listening to commands, when he is rude behaviour or about to get into biting mode, ask him to Sit or lay down, then your redirecting his mind, he will know that’s not allowed to bite and be rude but your also asking him to do something. Or redirect him to get you a toy to throw for him BEFORE he starts biting, it’s a matter of knowing when he is gonna start the biting, so if you think he is gonna start to misbehave, ask him to do something to get his mind off of wanting to be rude.

Jenni0222

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I Definitely agree with what @Manydogs said.

Since he isn’t neutered and he has been allowed to be rude and behave the way he has and no manners, I wouldn’t expect his behaviour to change immediately as for the marking and dominance (if he does), cause some of those habits some dogs are used to being allowed to do those things and their behaviour takes longer to improve.

Definitely do NOT let him but you and act like this, he will only get worse if boundaries are not set soon.

Be consistent and patient when dealing with him, praise when he is good, pet him and play when he is in good behaviour. Definitely don’t recommend playing when he is being rude and not respectful to you.

I also agree with the crate, even if he isn’t crate trained, the crate is one of the best things, they know it’s a safe space for them and not a punishment, and they can go in and out and if you go out you can put him it there so he doesn’t get into anything.
But for you the main reason for the crate is put him in there to calm down. Or if he is being rude to you and biting, put him in the crate to settle.
If he barks or whines do NOT let him out or give affection(that’s rewarding bad behaviour),, he will test you to see if you will give in and let him out when he wants. He needs to calm down and also learn boundaries and patience.
If he is anything but calm in the crate, ignore it(I know easier said than done sometimes).

When he is quiet and calm, reward and tell him he is a good boy give treats and play/praise when you let him out if crate. I’m not saying to have him in the crate lots, just when he is in the bad behaviour times.

He will learn, it will take time but these dogs are extremely smart and will figure it out. Eventually you shouldn’t need to put him In the crate, he should be able to listen to the calm down command or be able to listen and respect you without biting or being rude.

When he bites, say in a firm different tone “No biting” .
Sounds like he got away with a lot at the other place or he had no rules/limits or the people weren’t good to him. But he will learn with you what is allowed and what is not.

I know this is also hard sometimes, but you need to stay calm and confident cause if your stressed, frustrated, upset etc. he will pick up on your energy and reflect it with bad behaviour.

It may help to work on commands with him too and give treats/affection when he listens.
You could for example start by practicing ‘sit’ or ‘lay down’ or ‘stay’
When he listens to you, praise, reward with high value treats and give affection. Say ‘yes good sit’ for example.

He will learn he has to listen to you and YOU are in charge NOT him.

Then when he does well with this listening to commands, when he is rude behaviour or about to get into biting mode, ask him to Sit or lay down, then your redirecting his mind, he will know that’s not allowed to bite and be rude but your also asking him to do something. Or redirect him to get you a toy to throw for him BEFORE he starts biting, it’s a matter of knowing when he is gonna start the biting, so if you think he is gonna start to misbehave, ask him to do something to get his mind off of wanting to be rude.
Thank you for all response and tips! He is really good in a crate he sleeps in a crate at night. We have been trying to redirect to a toy. Someone's it works sometimes it does not. If it doesn't we go too crate. I'm just worried her will associate create with punishment and view it as negative instead of calming and safe place. I'm looking into obedience classes and he is scheduled for neuter in Aug. I also have a well check with a vet next week maybe there are underlying causes that are stressing him out. Thanks again very helpful info

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for all response and tips! He is really good in a crate he sleeps in a crate at night. We have been trying to redirect to a toy. Someone's it works sometimes it does not. If it doesn't we go too crate. I'm just worried her will associate create with punishment and view it as negative instead of calming and safe place. I'm looking into obedience classes and he is scheduled for neuter in Aug. I also have a well check with a vet next week maybe there are underlying causes that are stressing him out. Thanks again very helpful info
You've gotten great advice... to lessen the crate being looked at as a punishment, give him a favorite toy or bone that is safe for him to have in there with him. Then he will focus on that instead of being separated. maybe have a toy just for crate time...maybe a peanut butter bone or raw marrow bone. this way he is having some mind exercise while in "jail" LOL

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I would wait though to put a treat or toy in the crate cause if you put him In there for biting and to calm down, then he will think “yay I get a special bone or peanut butter in the crate when I bite my owner” so that way would be a reward almost for biting.

If you put a toy in there now when he is good, or put a bone in there now when he is being good that will help him think the crate is a good thing.

But I just don’t recommend giving him peanut butter or a bone right when you put him in there after being bad.

Just thought I would mention when is best to put toys and special treats in there so the crate it’s still a good thing to him but not a reward during him being bad.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.