Extremely bratty biting puppy

Cookie

Jul 24, 2013
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Benson
Hi!! I'm new to this site and have been looking for answers to a similar problem with my bully puppy. Benson bites me when I try and feed him anything, he literally snatches it and bites me too! is this normal also? I can't seem to get him to calm down! he's 15 weeks old.

OP
BoscosMom

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Thanks for the replies.

For those of you who have also had difficult puppies - did socializing them with other dogs help? He still needs to learn bite inhibition - he only recently got his second set of vaccinations, so he wasn't allowed to socialize with other dogs until this week. We are sending him to a doggy day camp and taking him to puppy socialization classes now in hopes that being corrected by other puppies will settle down his biting.

Has anyone had experiences solving this with puppy socializing? Or socializing with adult dogs?

Last edited:
OP
BoscosMom

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Thunder is 12 weeks and 3 days old today. I have had the exact same biting and nipping issues. For whatever reason, today, it seems like he has almost completely stopped. I can't explain it other than maybe he is done teething for a bit. I started giving him raw butcher bones. View attachment 50430 I give him two or three a day. I take the marrow out of them because he is just a pup, but he will gnaw on them for a while and this seems to cure his need for biting all the time.

Thanks, good idea I'll be trying this. Maybe this will keep him busy longer than the stuffed kongs!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi and welcome. I am usually behind on the posts! I have had puppys of many breeds. All pups LOVE to bite-it's a puppy thing! Some are worse/more persistant than others.
I always say" no bite"(firmly), and hand them something(shove it in their mouth) and say "bite this!". It sometimes seems to take forever, but they all get through that stage-even though you think you can't survive it! Mine always loved shoes, and shoe laces. Especially when I was walking! So, I bought them their own pair of little kids tennis shoes, and said-"here, bite this!" I always tried to have something to replace the things I didn't want bitten(Me!). Don't get aggressive back-it seems they take it as a game! If I was outside, and they went after my shoes, I would have a toys, on a rope, and drag it to distract them. Tricks, you need tricks!!ha!ha! I never left them unsupervised with toys, though-unless they were puppy proof!

OP
BoscosMom

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Great advice so far!!! I would only like to add establish dominance you can do this one of many ways I prefer the hand feeding because it is the easiest of the ways that I know of feed him a handful at a time and make him work for it so that he knows you control everything including his food, and he is still a puppy for us the hand feeding and try the purple and green (or yellow depending on the size I always got the big ones) Nylabone they are wonderful when I had to redirect Sheldon when he was a pup these seem to be the best and what I had the most success with I'm sure others have other suggestions as well. Although I had to be more drastic with Sheldon in the end I had to put him on his back and wait till he became submissive I almost cried having to do it but it has made it easier on him and us. Hope we all can get you more comfortable in your roll as skin parent :hug: for you and muzzies for Bosco.

Yes the trainers we've talked to do think he's trying to be alpha - he is a very pushy/dominant little puppy. He even bullies other adult dogs in his doggy classes! We've tried to hold him down and wait until he's submissive, but when it does seem like he's being submissive, as soon as we let go he attacks us at full force again!

I tried the hand feeding for the first week, but stopped because he would clobber me for food the minute he would see it in my hands. Maybe I should restart that now that we've trained him to sit and wait for his food.
Thanks! :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
He is still a puppy when Shelly Bean was a pup when we redirected him we used the purple and green Nylabone he loved those. I see a lot of great suggestions on here it will get better and socialization is a must we took Sheldon every where and still do around other animals and people. He does the OTT booty shake but the only people it brothers are the little little ones and we are trying to address this.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Thanks for the replies. We've spoke to a couple of trainers who suggest that he is trying to be alpha and push us around. We've been conscious of "being the alphas" since day 1, but he is just too stubborn. :|

For those of you who have also had difficult puppies - did socializing them with other dogs help? He still needs to learn bite inhibition - he only recently got his second set of vaccinations, so he wasn't allowed to socialize with other dogs until this week. We are sending him to a doggy day camp and taking him to puppy socialization classes now in hopes that being corrected by other puppies will settle down his biting.

Has anyone had experiences solving this with puppy socializing? Or socializing with adult dogs?

IMO Socializing a puppy as soon as shots are done is very important not only do they learn doggy manners they learn to be a "dog". If he did not learn bite inhibition from siblings or his mom he will at doggy day camp. We started taking ours to doggy day camp as soon as he got his last set of shots.

In the mean time you can also let him play with family/ friends dogs who you know are vaccinated play dates are great. Have the dog come over to your home and let them play with Bosco.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Thanks for the replies. We've spoke to a couple of trainers who suggest that he is trying to be alpha and push us around. We've been conscious of "being the alphas" since day 1, but he is just too stubborn. :|

we did some so me training n socialization w Brie..she is stubborn too. She is just now at 7 mos learning to lessen her biting intensity. She was the alpha of her siblings i think, so it has been a bit of a ride w her domineering self. We are still working on the relationship between she and my 8 yo ..that will take more time..lol but the socialization helped some. however, even when other dogs yelped or warned her, nipped at her to chill out or just plain stop, she still did her own bully thing. At times it even seemed to antagonize her or challenge her and she is not one to back down. But...it did help, it is just taking time..and a lot of patience. She knows we are the leaders of the pack and respects us now which helps, but Keeping the teeth busy and energy fulfilled will really help in time. I think the butcher bones will help too. Brie is a big chewer n I think they go through crazy teething spurts too and when that happens it drives them nuts. Poor things.

stacyh

Jan 3, 2013
West Columbia, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bevo & Daxx
I have a 10 week old EB puppy. I ask myself daily why I did this again. He is a terror but so darn cute it's hard to stay mad at him. Stick with what you're doing. There is light at the end of the tunnel. This is my 3 EB and they are heck when pups. One day he is going to be your best friend!!

Khloes mama

Aug 2, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khloe
Same here! My Khloe has super sharp teeth! & they hurt!! I'm going to try putting her on her back and see how that goes. Whenever I redirect and give her a nylabone, it doesn't even phase her! This is a very annoying stage! Can't wait till it's over!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375822204.192078.jpg

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Same here! My Khloe has super sharp teeth! & they hurt!! I'm going to try putting her on her back and see how that goes. Whenever I redirect and give her a nylabone, it doesn't even phase her! This is a very annoying stage! Can't wait till it's over!

View attachment 51311

LOL once its over you end up missing it. They grow up too fast :cry:She is really cute hard to stay mad at a face like that.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
As soon as the shark teeth fall out your puppy will probably become a normal puppy again. Loki was an @$$hole when he was teething he bit me so hard once that I actually bit him back. He didn't like that at all and he has never bitten me since not sure if it was the right thing to do but it worked.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Its all normal, My Gunnyboy was like that when he was a pup, I wanted to take him back the first few weeks. He turned out to be my best friend and mentor. dont give up there is a lover in there ready to pop out.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
As soon as the shark teeth fall out your puppy will probably become a normal puppy again. Loki was an @$$hole when he was teething he bit me so hard once that I actually bit him back. He didn't like that at all and he has never bitten me since not sure if it was the right thing to do but it worked.

OMG that is too funny. I would have loved to see Loki face when you did that. Puppy teeth is hell. I swear Fergus bit me so hard on my wrist I had nerve damage it hurt for weeks. There is a reason why god make them so cute as pups because there is no way you can stay mad at them.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
OMG that is too funny. I would have loved to see Loki face when you did that. Puppy teeth is hell. I swear Fergus bit me so hard on my wrist I had nerve damage it hurt for weeks. There is a reason why god make them so cute as pups because there is no way you can stay mad at them.

Sean looked at me like did you just bite him! It was pretty funny :)

Most Reactions