Are bulldogs afraid of smoke??

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Alright all of you campers, I am hoping you can help. I think I have put two and two together that Rumble does not like the smoke from the fire pit. :nope: It first happened on July 3 and my parents were in town staying with us. We enjoyed a nice night outside around the fire pit and Rumble was outside with us as well chewing on a toy. He did not seem bothered at the time nor did he bark or anything towards the fire pit. That night, Rumble would bark and bark and bark in his crate. :blink: The only way he would stop is if he went into the living room and sat with him. Before we knew it, he was snoring right beside us so we took turns sleeping on the couch that night. At the time, we thought it may have something to do with having company stay with us. Well fast forward to this past weekend and we did the same thing. We sat outside and enjoyed a nice fire. We come inside and Rumble goes into his crate with no problems like always waiting for his goodnight snack. After about five minutes he barks. We cannot get him to stop unless we go out to the living room and take him out of his crate and sit with him. :eek: We are trying to figure out what the problem is since we cannot handle the barking while keeping our sanity. So my question is, has anyone else had any experience with this? We love the fire pit but are confused as to if this is causing the problem or something else. Normally, his routine is flawless: nightly potty break, come back inside, go into crate, get goodnight snack and kisses, start snoring. This barking this is driving us crazy!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I think most if not all dogs have an innate fear of smoke/fire. I know I have had dogs before that if things became too smokey in the house they would whine a little, yawn n act nervously and hide under things. When the smoke learned they were back to normal. But it could also be an individual thing? Or he has developed another part of the routine that entails more time w you guys before bed?

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think a better question is.... what a Bulldogs NOT afraid of??? I think the list is shorter....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't know if they're afraid of smoke, but since he's okay around the fire, maybe he's just alerting you to the smoke because he can smell it, and he's barking to let you know or alert you to the danger? My guy Dozer is afraid of a lot of things like. Loud noises, thunder, sneezing, clapping, traffic when it goes by, when we are walking, and his own shadow. Lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.