barking while we're away

mehay

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Boo Boo
Help please! We just picked up Boo (5yo male) on Sunday. He is known to my partner but he is new to me. I unexpectedly have to start a new job this Thursday. Apparently Boo barks while we're not home - because he is used to having animal company? I can't let this go as I live in a building and the neighbours complained. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Going to work on the warm up with gradually longer alone times and leaving the radio on. I've only got 2 more days though. Boo has been through a lot lately and I don't want it to get any more stressful then it already has been. Thank you, in advance!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Geez I wish I had some ideas for you... Hopefully someone else has had this problem and has some ideas. Only thing I can think of is a thunder shirt or something like that. Maybe rescue remedy would work also.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Walley-Bubba sometimes howls when I leave without saying goodbye properly.
That and he clings to a leg or two and won't let go.
He's OK if I say goodbye properly though.
And leave the TV on CMT playing country music.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
When we leave home we give our boys a high value treat a stuffed frozen kong. They only get this treat when we leave for work or errand. They pay absolutely no attention to us because they are so busy with the stuffed kong. We do leave the TV on (food network my lab barks at the tv if he see another dog). You can also maybe hire a dog walker or friend to stop by to give him a potty break and walk. Or doggy day care (great for socializing) they a out for 2 days after.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
One thing you can try to do is give him a good treat, and leave for a few minutes. Then return, and leave again slowly increasing the amount of time you are gone. This way the pup will learn you might leave but will return and lessen the anxiety. But that takes time n you said you only had a couple days. Having someone stop by and take them out or the doggie day care could really help as well

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others said... try t-shirts or towels with your scent on them... bones, favorite toys. Also, Lisabear123 gave great advice.

Best of luck and keep us posted

Most Reactions