Stop acting like a loonatic!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
When we have visitors in the house Meeko acts like a crazy bully. He doesnt jump up at them however wiggles into them almost making them fall over he gets totally OTT excited. Ive been trying to tackle this issue for a while trying different approaches especially because my niece an dnephew are only 3&5 years old and hes knocked them over a few times.. altogether ive tried..

Making sure all visitors ignore him - (he doesnt get the hint and keeps on and on)
Ive tried making him sit calmly in bed til he calms down - ( he will get to a calm point then as soon as you turn your back hes OTT butt wigglin into the visitors again)
Ive tried making him sit next to me fussing him keeping him calm
Ive asked visitors to tell him bed so that he gets the hint they dont want him bothering them
Ive shut him in a separate room or out the garden and he just barks constantly and scratches at the doors

Iv tried this and many other things. I need help what to do next!
My main issue is I never crate trained meeko and although he has his bed in his corner - I cant shut him there to stop him pushing his luck and trying to sneak out again.
Rather than a crate im wondering about buying a baby gate and moving his bed to under the stairs - the door is right next to where his bed is. Its not a huge space but I only intend to close the baby gate when he gets OTT with visitors sort of as a 'if u dont calm down ul get shut away' threat lol .

Any ideas or tips on how to calm him or any feedback on the babygate idea?!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Tasha, he's still young, just keep on doing all you're doing and suddenly...
it will click w/him. The baby gate is a great idea!

Cami is 5 y/o and I've had a really difficult time w/potty training...she HATES
going outside for any reason and gives no hints of needing to go. She never
barked other than starting to alert at hearing the front door, not until 2 months
here. Now here 4 months and just in the last couple of weeks, I think she's got it!
She now will go into the hall then bark at me, trots right to the back door, goes out
& does her business immediately, then runs hell bent for leather to come inside.

If I can get a 5 y/o, stubborn bully to change, only here 4 months, there's hope for
Meeko & all. You are doing everything right, Hun...hang in there! GOD bless y'all!!!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
When you find what works let me know too cause Sheldon does the OTT booty wiggle as well.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Carol is right. He's a pup. No touch, no talk, no eye contact UNTIL he calms down and he'll learn. Patience is key. I think we get too "in a hurry" for things to happen (as humans) when just waiting that little bit longer will solidify the lesson in the dog's mind. I'd also think about what's acceptable for "calmed down". He's a puppy so he's prone to excitement so I would handle it in degrees. Calm down for him now is going to look a lot different than calmed down when he's a three year old, you know? For now, maybe butt on the floor is the best he can do right now as a pup --- and that's progress!

As far as patience goes, here's a great case in point: yesterday, we were at Mother Newman's and I had the big gate open to the side yard (and street). I showed the dogs that they couldn't cross the threshold to the gate. Naturally, Bo tested this. I sent him back and waited until he fully accepted this lesson before I turned away. Just going back across the gate threshold wasn't enough. I stood there until he relaxed, "accepting" the instruction, so to speak. When he tried it one more time -- and you know he did -- all I had to say was "ACK!" and he retreated immediately back across that threshold. Clearly, he got the lesson.

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
he's still a puppy...maybe get a crate, for your sanity...my bully is the same way. you'll make yourself crazy unless you can confine him to safe place. Start out rewarding him for going in there...try not as a punishment, a little bit longer every time and let him bark a while. I never leave a toy in the cage FYI...good luck!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Awww I love the booty wiggle ..but I can understand the frustration. If he is knocking ppl down. The baby gate could work as long as he can't knock it down? I think patience and consistency are key and its looks like you are doing all the right techniques to teach him. Maybe as he gets a little older it will click. So cute tho! lol

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chum goes nuts for about the first 5 minutes when people come over..What makes it more difficult to stop is the booty dance around and around in circles is hysterical to watch and people cant resist petting him.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Chum goes nuts for about the first 5 minutes when people come over..What makes it more difficult to stop is the booty dance around and around in circles is hysterical to watch and people cant resist petting him.

I sense perhaps a cutest booty wiggle video contest... [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Who can resist the booty wiggle it doesn't bother most people but I have a 2 year old niece that comes over she isn't as afraid of him as she was because well lets face it Sheldon is bigger than she is and has about 40lbs on her and he booty danced all the way around her but what was funny was when she looked at him and told him No No not knock Abby down and from then on he just loved her and let her lead him around with his collar he never went to fast for her stayed right beside her LOL it was super cute.:happy2:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Carol and Viki gave some great advice.... we also used the leash indoors with Banks when she was a pup... she did the same, but along with jumping and lleashing her till she settled really worked well

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.