General Question Loki needs a sibling?

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
So we are tossing around the idea of getting Loki a sibling but have a few questions for the multiple dog owners on here so any help or input would be appreciated. I have a list of some question if you all can help
1. Would getting another sibling help Loki learn what it means to be a dog. (We think that he feels like he is a human vs a dog if that makes sense)
2. Sean is worried that if we get a bigger dog that they might accident play to rough with each other and Loki may get hurt (I think that if the new addition is raised with him that they will learn to play nicely with each other)
3. Because Loki is so attached to me do you think that he may feel left out if we have to divide our attention between him and another?
4. What breeds get along well with EB's?
5. Is it better to get a male or female? (either way they would be fixed since Loki is not)
Kind of weird questions I suppose but EB's are a whole can of worms that we have not experienced before with our previous pets; German Shepard, Rottweilers, Labs, Pit Bulls and Boxers
beans.jpgbeans2.jpg
Thanks for the help :)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Your first point that Loki thinks he is a person rather than a dog is because he is an English Bulldog. They all are entitled to every comfort their humans have. That said, Loki most certainly would enjoy and benefit from having a 4 legged companion, a playmate, BFF. Our 1st EB, Sherman, had a 4 yr. old German Shepard for his brother. Both were neutered males and they got along great. I don't think I would have one intact male with one that had been neutered. To me they are not on a level playing field. Usually bigger dogs are pretty gentle with smaller dogs. You'll find that having another dog will take Loki's attention away from you because he'll be so busy playing with his new buddy. If you get a puppy I don't think breed matters because they are being raised together. Getting him a buddy is probably the best thing you can do for Loki!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Two EB's are alwasy better than one! And, they will get along with any breed as long as you introduce them correctly and train them

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
So we are tossing around the idea of getting Loki a sibling but have a few questions for the multiple dog owners on here so any help or input would be appreciated. I have a list of some question if you all can help
1. Would getting another sibling help Loki learn what it means to be a dog. (We think that he feels like he is a human vs a dog if that makes sense)
2. Sean is worried that if we get a bigger dog that they might accident play to rough with each other and Loki may get hurt (I think that if the new addition is raised with him that they will learn to play nicely with each other)
3. Because Loki is so attached to me do you think that he may feel left out if we have to divide our attention between him and another?
5. Is it better to get a male or female? (either way they would be fixed since Loki is not)
Kind of weird questions I suppose but EB's are a whole can of worms that we have not experienced before with our previous pets; German Shepard, Rottweilers, Labs, Pit Bulls and Boxers
View attachment 49704View attachment 49705

1. Why does he need to know that?
2. Accidents do happen but I have always had multiple dogs and have found that they learn to play to each others abilities with direction.
3. Loki will adjust with time and may show some jealousy. It will never be the same relationship that you have now.
4. Any when introduced carefully and supervised. Why would you have anything else other than another EB?
5. Avoid two males
6. You are in for an adventure of a lifetime! Enjoy

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
The main reason I say that he needs to learn to be more of a dog is for the simple fact that he doesn't know how to react in certain situations that I feel a dog should know. Like protecting the house, if someone knock on the door and we have tested him a few times most of the time he just goes and hides in his house instead of barking, it is not a big deal but he just seems like he lacks the confidence of our previous dogs.
On another note a friend of our that works at a vet's office just informed Sean last night that they has someone abandoned an EB that is believed to be 8 weeks and they are looking for a home for the baby. We are not to sure of the details or the condition of the baby but we are hopeful that the newest addition will be ours in a few weeks. I will keep you guys posted on the puppies progress and details as we find out more.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
> YES for sure. If a dog is only around people, they are treated more like a human than a dog. When animals are around their own kind, they learn what it means to be a dog, such as pecking order, social clues, etc. You have to be willing and understand that naturally one of them will become the alpha leader ( and will either be a male OR female).
> I would agree that trying to get another around the same age would be better. Better to have an older dog and then get a new younger dog, then to have a young dog and get an older dog.
> At first this might happen. I would suggest starting off with 75% for Loki and 25% for the new addition, but then gradually split 50/50 as much as possible.
> I know from where other puppies have gone that Pugs, Boxers, Frenchie and Labs work out great. But it ABSOLUTELY depends on the dog itself! In fact it depends on both dogs. If you are serious about getting another dog, start socializing Loki right away. I would not suggest dog parks. (that is another thread...) But if you have friends who have dogs that you trust (owner & dog), then set up play dates. You go to their house, since that dog will be dominate there, and then they come to your house.
It is important to understand animal psychology. As humans we just think.. oh they both look so cute, they should meet and become friends. Try NOT! Humans are so PC all the time that we smile when we meet someone, we shake hands and never say anything mean. (Mama always said it you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all?) Well a dog just might sniff and then decide they don't like the other dog. Socialization takes time and patience.

> Either one is fine. In my pack I have several males and females that all live together (only one female is fixed) Only during heat season does it get a little touchy...
Kind of weird questions I suppose but EB's are a whole can of worms that we have not experienced before with our previous pets; German Shepard, Rottweilers, Labs, Pit Bulls and Boxer NO WAY not weird at all. GREAT questions for everyone to learn about. That is why EBN is so good for information and resources.
But because of the bigger dogs that you have had, yes, EBD are different than any other. Which is what makes them SO SPECIAL and UNLIKE any other dog.

SERIOUSLY CONSIDER A RESCUE DOG.
There are plenty of links to rescue in almost every state.

Here's why.
A rescue dog is beyond the puppy chewing stage.
A rescue dog has been in possibly several different home and has learned to adjust so transitions are much easier.
A rescue dog has been thoroughly check out and the EXACT medical condition and behavior is disclosed up front. Yes, sadly, some have medical issue that range from minor to major. Some have behavioral issues from minor to major as well (ie no other dogs, no cats, no kids...etc.) But SO many are just in need of a new home. Owners have lost jobs, lost homes, had to move, died, etc.
And the rescue dog will LOVE you like you have NEVER seen before.

Good Day~
View attachment 49704View attachment 49705

Have a Bullie day

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Have a Bullie day

Thanks for the answers!!!! That helps a lot!! We have been looking at rescues for multiple types of dog but seem to run into a problem with the fact that Loki is not fixed and that is a big no no I guess. We have been looking for a bullie rescue but they get scooped up right away because they are so damn cute :eek:)
He has been around 3 other dog pretty regularly 2 yellow labs and a German Shepard who is our best friends dog and they all seem to play great. Loki has a problem with sharing toys but like most 18 month old that is to be expected :eek:)

Most Reactions