Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aggression !!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Aggression !!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also look into "rescue remedy"....

Never tried it but heard it works well.

Removing the testosterone from his body could possibly help his aggression. Warn the vet you go see that he's been showing random signs of aggression- that's why you need him examined. They should be prepared!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Omg I am appalled at the vets reaction! Holy wow! I have no words for that! I hope his tests r ok. Cutty started being aggressive after 1 year. I had no help like there is here. People told me about the nilf program but reading it all is overwhelming and we tried to have authority but in reality didn't at all. Thankfully neutering him did fix him 99%. Brought him home and maybe he realized we were in control of his manhood so we r in control.

miila came and began being possessive aggressive as she tried to make her place in our pack. We submitted and I don't know if it had impact or if it mixed with everything did but she is 100% better now. Hand feeding I think had the most and quickest impact in her behavior. You have another pup so I would have Ernie sit/stay while the other pup eats, then when it is his turn have him remain in his position while you feed him 1 handful at a time. Before each handful you make him work, sit pretty, hi five, roll over etc. feed slowly on YOUR pace. He will realize you r the pack leader because he has no choice. I am far from an expert but this really did work miracles in our home although it took months for the complete transformation. I know all pups r diff but it can only help to try.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

He needs to know where he stands in the pecking order of the pack. All dogs have a pack mentality and if he is unclear as to who is his alpha he will try to take on that roll. There are many things you can do to establish this. It sounds like he responds negatively to behavior modification so try another tactic but like Becky said you have to be in control at all times if you waver in this he will know it. When he is good and does good things respond with positive reinforcement say he doesn't respond at first when you try to do one of his stressors grab the treats and gush about what a good boy he is so he learns that this is the acceptable response. Also make him eat from your hand this is a form of submission make your partner hand feed him so he knows where he stands in the pack and as you have children when they are old enough they too should establish with him the pack hierarchy. This is what I did I also made my children do this. I don't know if this helps but hope so. Even when my Shelly Bean growls at me I show him no fear. Is he crated by any chance? If not you can use this also sometimes over stimulation can cause aggression when he gets aggressive tell him no and Kennel or Crate so he knows its time to calm down and when you see he is calm let him out.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Aggression is not the problem -- it's a symptom of a problem. If there is nothing medically wrong with this dog (have that thyroid test done - seriously - and get him neutered - both two things that will help your cause), you have a long way toward rehabilitation with his fear / confidence issues. @JAKEISGREAT is right; you can't fear your own dog. He needs a pack leader to get better and you have to be it.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Bully ernie -- you need a new vet and a new trainer -- this is issue fixable with time and patient. We are you located, may be we can help find or direct you to a good bully vet?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I'm throwing my 2 cents in the ring, great tactics I would like to tag, #1 feed by hand, FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES
    #2 MAKE HIM EARN HIS FOOD, SIT, LAY, PAW
    #3 GET HIM FIXED
    #4 GET A MUZZLE FOR THE NEXT VET APPT. ( I need one for Jack, it's called panic aggression )
    #5 USE "RESCUE REMEDY"

you may not solve every episode 100%, and you may have to put him in another room when company comes calling, but everyone living under your roof should feel safe with him.

I have this type of dog, he weighs 100 pounds of muscle, we love him very much, he isn't going anywhere, he's going on 9 years old, I got him when he was 13 weeks old, he was abused, he never forgot the fear of people, we were fired by a Dr. of canine psychology, phhsss tttt he took our 1000's of dollars and told us to get rid of our dog that no one could help us. He would lay down and not move, hump the trainer and wouldn't take steak from him.
    Jack bit my finger the other day when I wouldn't stop putting medicine on his foot, he didn't like it, he warned me and I didn't stop. No puncture just a bruise, my point is you have gotten some good advice from peeps here. Get a thyroid test done and have him neutered. But get yourself a good muzzle just in case, and your next vet may appreciate it

-029-jpg-029-jpg-035-jpg
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    I'm throwing my 2 cents in the ring, great tactics I would like to tag, #1 feed by hand, FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES
    #2 MAKE HIM EARN HIS FOOD, SIT, LAY, PAW
    #3 GET HIM FIXED
    #4 GET A MUZZLE FOR THE NEXT VET APPT. ( I need one for Jack, it's called panic aggression )
    #5 USE "RESCUE REMEDY"

you may not solve every episode 100%, and you may have to put him in another room when company comes calling, but everyone living under your roof should feel safe with him.

I have this type of dog, he weighs 100 pounds of muscle, we love him very much, he isn't going anywhere, he's going on 9 years old, I got him when he was 13 weeks old, he was abused, he never forgot the fear of people, we were fired by a Dr. of canine psychology, phhsss tttt he took our 1000's of dollars and told us to get rid of our dog that no one could help us. He would lay down and not move, hump the trainer and wouldn't take steak from him.
    Jack bit my finger the other day when I wouldn't stop putting medicine on his foot, he didn't like it, he warned me and I didn't stop. No puncture just a bruise, my point is you have gotten some good advice from peeps here. Get a thyroid test done and have him neutered. But get yourself a good muzzle just in case, and your next vet may appreciate it

-029-jpg-029-jpg-035-jpg
    What is the "Rescue Remedy" Becky? Sheldon does the panic thing but he doesn't bite he lips but he doesn't actually bite he does get mouthy and he does tell me no and I argue with him. He doesn't like his dew claws trimmed.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

It's a herbal stress reducer with chamomile and some other type of flower in it, sold in health food stores. isn't cheap either. like 30 bucks for a small little bottle, only need 4 drops though, I use during stressful times, fireworks and vet visits and such
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

You mentioned that his allergies are under control. Is he on a medication to control them?
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads