Since our bullies are so stubborn... Do you think that obedience classes help?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Daisy starts her obedience classes next week. Im really wondering if they are going to do us any good. That pup has no desire to listen at all... I am stern with her and she pretty much laughs at me....lol She will sit there and put her head down then starts being mouthy and biting. I personally think she is playing.. But Im not sure.:blink:

ABSOLUTELY!!! of course it helps... it socializes them as well as gets YOU trained on how to keep them knowing you are the pack lead. Bullys are strong willed but not dumb and will in some cases take long than other breeds because bulldogs are not breed to please -- hence, the 'lazy' attitude -- they are really just considering your request of them. Right, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]... they are thinkers and make decisions.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Another positive with obedience training, be it in a class with others or private, is that if you have a good trainer and they teach you the methodology then you can continue with the training on your own once the class/private instruction has ended and extend it for life with your dog or other dogs you may have in the future. I know you can read books and watch videos but in my experience, not simply with dog training but in learning other arts, you can't beat a good qualified teacher in the flesh so to speak.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Please take your pups to puppy classes! It's good for the dog and it's more good for the human!

Remember, that annoying behavior you're experiencing with your cute, cuddly ball of wrinkles is going to be decidedly less cute when they're 75 lbs.

It's a myth that EBs are not trainable. I also think it's an excuse for the people not willing to put the time in to be a pack leader. Just sayin'.

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Believe me Sheena, the hours I spent crying over this beast with the viciously sharky teeth when he was a baby. My boyfriend will tell you how awful it was. Dudley would act like a lunatic....he'd run around, chase me trying to bite me, hide behind furniture and leap out at me. That wasn't too bad, but sometimes, he would get so wound up nothing would stop him. I would be afraid he was going to hurt himself. I would just grab that leash and the minute I put it on and moved the coffee table so we could do homework...everything changed. He would calm down, pay attention. He would become a good boy!

Yay!!! Theres hope then :)

KentuckyBully

Jun 28, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey and Minnie
Mine did great with the clicker and they are ready to start the next phase, obedience training. Both of mine are very food motivated and are willing to do anything for food. They are so eager to please. Besides the basics, we just have to motion towards their crates and they go to bed. They are little piggies, my bullies!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Please do take the class! Bullys are smart and very trainable, YOU just have to find the right buttons. A lot of people say that bullies are lazy and don't like or need exercise...if you don't exercise, you're in a bad condition and who likes it then??? Some say they're stupid and don't train them and what do you get when you don't learn anything...you stay "stupid"! Exercise and get more fit, learn obidience and get more obidient. My Usko for example is very smart learns thing in no time and loves it!

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Please do take the class! Bullys are smart and very trainable, YOU just have find the right buttons. A lot of people say that bullies are lazy and don't like or need exercise...if you don't exercise, you're in a bad condition and who likes it then??? Some say they're stupid and don't train them and what do you get when you don't learn anything...you stay "stupid"! Exercise and get more fit, learn obidience and get more obidient. My Usko for example is very smart learns thing in no time and loves it!

HAHAHA...was watching another video of Usko playing w/toys & vocal...Cami came charging out of bathroom
where she loves lying on the cool tile and barked!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
After posting and reading others comments we decided to enroll Harlea in puppy classes at a minimum more for us more than her as we have a friend that is a trainer and has taught us many things over the years. We currently work with her several times a day and she has already learned, sit, down, high 5, easy and tickle monster. She also has play dates 3 days a week where she goes to work with my wife and gets to play with a 1 year old boxer for about half a day each time so she is getting some great socialization as well. I think she is doing good for only being 11 weeks old.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
After posting and reading others comments we decided to enroll Harlea in puppy classes at a minimum more for us more than her as we have a friend that is a trainer and has taught us many things over the years. We currently work with her several times a day and she has already learned, sit, down, high 5, easy and tickle monster. She also has play dates 3 days a week where she goes to work with my wife and gets to play with a 1 year old boxer for about half a day each time so she is getting some great socialization as well. I think she is doing good for only being 11 weeks old.
Well done. Socialization is key right now.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Well done. Socialization is key right now.

I totally agree. When we first brought her home her 9yo ridgeback sister couldn't get enough of her and they would play and chase one another. Now our ridgeback wants to be left alone as she can only take the puppiness in spurts so we needed to get socialization somewhere else.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I totally agree. When we first brought her home her 9yo ridgeback sister couldn't get enough of her and they would play and chase one another. Now our ridgeback wants to be left alone as she can only take the puppiness in spurts so we needed to get socialization somewhere else.
IMHO your doing everything right. Lucky Little Bully has Has Great Smart parents!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
IMHO your doing everything right. Lucky Little Bully has Has Great Smart parents!!

Thank you. The education came from the wonderful people like you and others on this site. I thought I knew a lot before finding this place and I was definitely wrong and have learned so much.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with this. Brutus loved his classes. He got to meet other dogs and it helped stop the lunging for toys he would do. He now knows that if he wants us to play with him, he has to leave his toy and sit down before we will touch it. If he isn't in the mood to listen we don't play fetch. This was really the only behavior we could not tolerate. Everything else the little bugger does is too cute. Also 10 minute time outs really work. He understands that he needs to chill when we tell him he is going to get a time out.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Thats really good that you got some progress! I love that brat dearly but she was in time out like all day yesterday. She would be good then go into spaz attacks and then run up and bite the sh*t out of me. Like WTF??????

- - - Updated - - -

OoOOh no... Kitty eating is not good! lol

Sheldon had a kitty eating moment today just so happened said kitty got under one of the twins beds and taunted said naughty bully by growling and hissing making naughty bully bark...

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We put Bella in basic puppy classes, and I have to tell you that she was the WORST behaved in the class!!! I was so embarrassed she would never do the commands in front of the instructor... BUT I will say it was totally worth it in the end. I can't tell you how many times I have had to use leave it or stay and she remembered it. One time I broke a glass all over the kitchen floor & the dogs ran in and I yelled STAY at the top of my lungs, and to my surprise she did it!!! I'm putting Winston in class next month... Good Luck :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.