Since our bullies are so stubborn... Do you think that obedience classes help?

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Daisy starts her obedience classes next week. Im really wondering if they are going to do us any good. That pup has no desire to listen at all... I am stern with her and she pretty much laughs at me....lol She will sit there and put her head down then starts being mouthy and biting. I personally think she is playing.. But Im not sure.:blink:

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I cant answer your question as I too am battling a puppy at home who has VERY selective hearing. But I hope you have good luck with the classes and please let us know how Daisy does. I want to put Dooley in class also.

benjibabies3

May 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy and Dozer
Sassy just graduated her obedience class last night. It has done some good in teaching us on how to teach her. She is almost a perfect angel when we put her leash on, that symbolizes to her that its time to learn, the second that leash comes off she is back to being hard headed.
It did help calm her down a bit but we still have a lot of work to do with her.
Give the training a try, just don't expect a new attitude in Daisy over night.
Good luck!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I started Dudley with a trainer when he was about 12 weeks old. I don't kid myself -- it was for me. Dudley is my first EBD and believe me, I did not have a clue. I always say that were it not for Sue, his trainer, I would never have kept Dudley (and I would be heart-broken!)! He was, as I called him, the EVIL BEAST! Sharky doesn't describe him...and, he wouldn't walk. My neighbors would be hysterical when I would try to take him for a walk. Not only did he not listen...I swore he was doing things deliberately -- with malicious intent! :bitching: But, once she showed me what to do and how to deal with that bully stubbornness...things got much, much better. She used to laugh at me and say...he's a typical bulldog! I now know what that means! Ha ha! I don't know if you classes are one-on-one or group -- Dudley (and I) needed one-on-one, but you get out of it what you put into it. We had "homework" after every class...and we did it. We still go through the routines! If he's really being a butt head -- I put on his leash, move the coffee table and go through all of his commands. He calms down, pays attention (they do really want to please you) and does what he is supposed to do. He's usually tired afterwards, so he takes a nap (nothing cuter than a sleeping bully!) and when he wakes up, he's my lovable boy! Training really worked for the Duddles!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We are going through the same thing and are discussing if we should put Harlea in training or not as she has her moments of greatness and then her moments of eat the kitty.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus went to obedience school. I agree it is more for the humans to learn to deal with the bulldog, but Brutus loves to please us and If we reprimand him in a stern voice he will listen. He does not like to think we are upset with him. Of course if he happens to get something in his mouth(like an empty water bottle my husband left laying around) it is game on and Brutus will only drop it when he is good and ready to drop it. Still he is the cutest thing running around like a mad man being a bad bully!!

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I really think obedience training helps and think everyone who has a dog should go thru one especially if it is your first dog. I know it helped us understand our dogs better and helped us be more patient. It was great when we would see Fergus learning commands and him getting excited to learn something new.

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I started Dudley with a trainer when he was about 12 weeks old. I don't kid myself -- it was for me. Dudley is my first EBD and believe me, I did not have a clue. I always say that were it not for Sue, his trainer, I would never have kept Dudley (and I would be heart-broken!)! He was, as I called him, the EVIL BEAST! Sharky doesn't describe him...and, he wouldn't walk. My neighbors would be hysterical when I would try to take him for a walk. Not only did he not listen...I swore he was doing things deliberately -- with malicious intent! :bitching: But, once she showed me what to do and how to deal with that bully stubbornness...things got much, much better. She used to laugh at me and say...he's a typical bulldog! I now know what that means! Ha ha! I don't know if you classes are one-on-one or group -- Dudley (and I) needed one-on-one, but you get out of it what you put into it. We had "homework" after every class...and we did it. We still go through the routines! If he's really being a butt head -- I put on his leash, move the coffee table and go through all of his commands. He calms down, pays attention (they do really want to please you) and does what he is supposed to do. He's usually tired afterwards, so he takes a nap (nothing cuter than a sleeping bully!) and when he wakes up, he's my lovable boy! Training really worked for the Duddles!

Thats really good that you got some progress! I love that brat dearly but she was in time out like all day yesterday. She would be good then go into spaz attacks and then run up and bite the sh*t out of me. Like WTF??????

- - - Updated - - -

We are going through the same thing and are discussing if we should put Harlea in training or not as she has her moments of greatness and then her moments of eat the kitty.

OoOOh no... Kitty eating is not good! lol

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Believe me Sheena, the hours I spent crying over this beast with the viciously sharky teeth when he was a baby. My boyfriend will tell you how awful it was. Dudley would act like a lunatic....he'd run around, chase me trying to bite me, hide behind furniture and leap out at me. That wasn't too bad, but sometimes, he would get so wound up nothing would stop him. I would be afraid he was going to hurt himself. I would just grab that leash and the minute I put it on and moved the coffee table so we could do homework...everything changed. He would calm down, pay attention. He would become a good boy!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I think it could help for basic training if you need help with teaching them to sit, down, come etc plus it is good for socialization. A private trainer working w just you (family) n your bully might be better if they are bully savvy to address problematic issues tho.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Yes without a doubt obedience training helps. And as [MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] stated one that will work with you privately is even better if it can be arraigned. But obedience classes with other dogs would help too plus you have the benefit of your pet being socialized. Obedience classes and private lessons each have their pros and cons. But having your pet learn basic obedience is a plus.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I went through obedience training with a Sheltie I had about 30 years ago. I learned SO MUCH. And yes I'm going to say it would definitely help anyone who is trying to train a puppy.

We are considering taking Amelia to obedience training so I can brush up on techniques, learn some more and so Bruce can learn them at the same time and we are on the same page doing the same things with the training.

Also the way I learned with Shawn (my Sheltie) we used a choke collar. I know they aren't used now like they were back then, and I would Never consider using one of those on a bully. So I want to see what "today's" recommendations are.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
We work with ours daily but they still have their moments when they are going to do what they want. Believe it or not, one bully was harder to handle than two; they keep each other company and rough house with each other instead of biting/teething on us. Amber and Ruby rough house all the time, run through the house, chase each other, chase the cat, our house is a moving target. lol its great!!! Ruby does what Amber does so it was easier to teach Ruby than it was Amber alone. Now, toliet paper is just too much temptation and too much fun no matter how much training there has been; good luck!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Yes without a doubt obedience training helps. And as @Lisabear123 stated one that will work with you privately is even better if it can be arraigned. But obedience classes with other dogs would help too plus you have the benefit of your pet being socialized. Obedience classes and private lessons each have their pros and cons. But having your pet learn basic obedience is a plus.

Agreed!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online