Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Since our bullies are so stubborn... Do you think that obedience classes help?

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Since our bullies are so stubborn... Do you think that obedience classes help?

I went through obedience training with a Sheltie I had about 30 years ago. I learned SO MUCH. And yes I'm going to say it would definitely help anyone who is trying to train a puppy.

We are considering taking Amelia to obedience training so I can brush up on techniques, learn some more and so Bruce can learn them at the same time and we are on the same page doing the same things with the training.

Also the way I learned with Shawn (my Sheltie) we used a choke collar. I know they aren't used now like they were back then, and I would Never consider using one of those on a bully. So I want to see what "today's" recommendations are.

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Since our bullies are so stubborn... Do you think that obedience classes help?

We work with ours daily but they still have their moments when they are going to do what they want. Believe it or not, one bully was harder to handle than two; they keep each other company and rough house with each other instead of biting/teething on us. Amber and Ruby rough house all the time, run through the house, chase each other, chase the cat, our house is a moving target. lol its great!!! Ruby does what Amber does so it was easier to teach Ruby than it was Amber alone. Now, toliet paper is just too much temptation and too much fun no matter how much training there has been; good luck!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    Yes without a doubt obedience training helps. And as @Lisabear123 stated one that will work with you privately is even better if it can be arraigned. But obedience classes with other dogs would help too plus you have the benefit of your pet being socialized. Obedience classes and private lessons each have their pros and cons. But having your pet learn basic obedience is a plus.
    Agreed!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
    Daisy starts her obedience classes next week. Im really wondering if they are going to do us any good. That pup has no desire to listen at all... I am stern with her and she pretty much laughs at me....lol She will sit there and put her head down then starts being mouthy and biting. I personally think she is playing.. But Im not sure.

ABSOLUTELY!!! of course it helps... it socializes them as well as gets YOU trained on how to keep them knowing you are the pack lead. Bullys are strong willed but not dumb and will in some cases take long than other breeds because bulldogs are not breed to please -- hence, the 'lazy' attitude -- they are really just considering your request of them. Right, @desertskybulldogs... they are thinkers and make decisions.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Another positive with obedience training, be it in a class with others or private, is that if you have a good trainer and they teach you the methodology then you can continue with the training on your own once the class/private instruction has ended and extend it for life with your dog or other dogs you may have in the future. I know you can read books and watch videos but in my experience, not simply with dog training but in learning other arts, you can't beat a good qualified teacher in the flesh so to speak.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Please take your pups to puppy classes! It's good for the dog and it's more good for the human!

Remember, that annoying behavior you're experiencing with your cute, cuddly ball of wrinkles is going to be decidedly less cute when they're 75 lbs.

It's a myth that EBs are not trainable. I also think it's an excuse for the people not willing to put the time in to be a pack leader. Just sayin'.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DudleysMom View Post
    Believe me Sheena, the hours I spent crying over this beast with the viciously sharky teeth when he was a baby. My boyfriend will tell you how awful it was. Dudley would act like a lunatic....he'd run around, chase me trying to bite me, hide behind furniture and leap out at me. That wasn't too bad, but sometimes, he would get so wound up nothing would stop him. I would be afraid he was going to hurt himself. I would just grab that leash and the minute I put it on and moved the coffee table so we could do homework...everything changed. He would calm down, pay attention. He would become a good boy!
    Yay!!! Theres hope then

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mickey and Minnie
    Likes (Received)

Mine did great with the clicker and they are ready to start the next phase, obedience training. Both of mine are very food motivated and are willing to do anything for food. They are so eager to please. Besides the basics, we just have to motion towards their crates and they go to bed. They are little piggies, my bullies!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Please do take the class! Bullys are smart and very trainable, YOU just have to find the right buttons. A lot of people say that bullies are lazy and don't like or need exercise...if you don't exercise, you're in a bad condition and who likes it then??? Some say they're stupid and don't train them and what do you get when you don't learn anything...you stay "stupid"! Exercise and get more fit, learn obidience and get more obidient. My Usko for example is very smart learns thing in no time and loves it!

Last edited by RiiSi; 07-25-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=RiiSi;369943]Please do take the class! Bullys are smart and very trainable, YOU just have find the right buttons. A lot of people say that bullies are lazy and don't like or need exercise...if you don't exercise, you're in a bad condition and who likes it then??? Some say they're stupid and don't train them and what do you get when you don't learn anything...you stay "stupid"! Exercise and get more fit, learn obidience and get more obidient. My Usko for example is very smart learns thing in no time and loves it!

HAHAHA...was watching another video of Usko playing w/toys & vocal...Cami came charging out of bathroom
    where she loves lying on the cool tile and barked!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

After posting and reading others comments we decided to enroll Harlea in puppy classes at a minimum more for us more than her as we have a friend that is a trainer and has taught us many things over the years. We currently work with her several times a day and she has already learned, sit, down, high 5, easy and tickle monster. She also has play dates 3 days a week where she goes to work with my wife and gets to play with a 1 year old boxer for about half a day each time so she is getting some great socialization as well. I think she is doing good for only being 11 weeks old.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    After posting and reading others comments we decided to enroll Harlea in puppy classes at a minimum more for us more than her as we have a friend that is a trainer and has taught us many things over the years. We currently work with her several times a day and she has already learned, sit, down, high 5, easy and tickle monster. She also has play dates 3 days a week where she goes to work with my wife and gets to play with a 1 year old boxer for about half a day each time so she is getting some great socialization as well. I think she is doing good for only being 11 weeks old.
    Well done. Socialization is key right now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads