Help Needed! Advice for Adjusting to New Puppy

WestminsterAbbey

Aug 30, 2012
Columbus, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey and Oliver
I need some advice from the Pros! :)

Our Abbey is 14 months old now, and we just brought home a 3 month old male Bulldog we named Oliver. Abbey is a little bully, she will push her toy almost in your face trying to get you to play with her and she will even take toys away from my MIL's 90lb Boxer. (Abbey is a petite 35lbs) She will also guard her ball at the dog park. She never starts a fight, or is aggressive, she's just bossy and possessive. And I think she doesn't understand that my husband and I are in charge. (def doesn't see him as in charge, she's tried to hump him) So we are having some issues with her and the new puppy. Abbey has been trying to bully him, standing over him and bowling him over. Oliver is a moose and has humped Abbey a couple times (not sure if it's dominance or because he is intact) Oliver tries to get Abbey to play but she's having none of it. We've had some squabbles but no real dog fights. I'm trying to keep it that way. My hubby wants to start letting Oliver sleep in bed with us and Abbey and I'm not sure that will go well, I think both dogs need to be on the floor.

The breeder recommended waiting til a year old to get him snipped so he fills out, so he could easily be double Abbey's size, so I'm concerned about this power struggle. What can we do to make this transition easier?

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Well congrats on the new pup. Im no help here just wanted to say Hi :) Someone will be along shortly to help.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't think at 3 months his humping would be out of dominance though I could be wrong. Usually at that age it's from excitement/happiness. Now abbey does certainly sound like she's trying to dominate him.

Obviously correcting the behavior is where to start. Feeding should be done in pack order and perhaps you should do some hand feeding as well as hubby so that they learn you are both in charge of their food and well being. You are their leader. Simple commands to earn their food while hand feeding can really make a huge impact on them.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have stated, you ned to get the pack order in line. Hand feed and also look up 'Nothing in Life is Free' -- it is a great training process that will help with getting her in line. She sounds like a real spit-fire and you need to get on top of her training and tay consistent to ensure she remains in line.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.