Help Needed! Potty issues

Higgins

Dec 21, 2012
Denver, CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So Dozer is almost a year old and I am still having potty issues with him. So I will take him out as as soon as I wake up in the morning and right before I leave for work after he eats. Problem is he will only go pee outside no matter how long I sit out there with him he just wont go number 2 outside. Of course when my wife gets home he has gone :poo: on the carpet. I leave for work at 7:30 and she is home at around 3:30 is that to long for him to hold it? I just cant for the life of me figure out why he wont go outside.

Thanks for any help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH! Does he ever go :poo: outside? Does he always wait till you are not home to go?

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
He's a little stinker. When I worked outside of my home, I would leave at 6:45 am, return at about 12:15 and the get home from work at 6 or so. Dudley NEVER had an accident. I took him out in the morning, let him out at lunch and then when I got home at night. I had crate trained him and he stayed in the crate until he was about 16 or 18 months old. However, Dudley will not poop in the backyard unless he absolutely, positively has no choice and can't hold it another second! I must walk him on his leash. He'll pee in the backyard, but he must be walked at least twice a day so he can poop. He's a big pain in the butt for a lot of things (crying and whining in particular), but he was fabulous at potty training. Do you walk him or just let him out?

OP
Higgins

Higgins

Dec 21, 2012
Denver, CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
He just wont poop outside. I walk him like 4 times a day and he just wont do it for whatever reason. The really weird part is if I see him walking and sniffing around the apartment like he is going to go I will take him out immediately and he will just walk around and not go lol.

Last edited:

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
8 hours is kind of a long time for them to hold it. Unless they sleep. Our Pittie that we had would maybe hold it for 5 hours for number 2... and she was 2. And of course Daisy cant hold it that long... lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He just wont poop outside. I walk him like 4 times a day and he just wont do it for whatever reason. The really weird part is if I see him walking and sniffing around the apartment like he is going to go I will take him out immediately and he will just walk around and not go lol.

this is going to be brutal, but you have to keep him out there (weather permitting) till he goes and then make a really big deal with treats nd love when he does.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Are you using something like natures miracle to rid the poo smell from inside the house? Can anyone walk him maybe at the halfway mark of the 8 hours? Do you have a crate for him for when you are not home? Maybe going back to the basics is needed for a bit to get him back on track?

OP
Higgins

Higgins

Dec 21, 2012
Denver, CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
We use the carpet cleaner every weekend and we use the natures miracles during the week. I do have a crate that I could get back out for him and start from the beginning.

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
After he poops in the house, take a napkin and pick it up. Take him with you and put the poo where you want him to go. Let him sniff around a bit, then take him to that spot every time you let him out.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We use the carpet cleaner every weekend and we use the natures miracles during the week. I do have a crate that I could get back out for him and start from the beginning.

This is what I would do. Remember, a dog isn't really housebroken if he goes at all in the house! Back in the crate..just big enough to stand up and turn around. I would leash him in the house and watch him like a hawk. It will just take once for him to go outside..and he will realize he lost that battle.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I agree w jakeisgreat. Try the crate again n see if it helps. Also see if someone can't walk him at some point during the day. Be patient, he'll get it!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I just posted a thread about this issue w/my adopted Cami, 5 y/o and I've
had her about 4 months. Cami would poo outside (sometimes) but never pee.
As you say, I'd take her out and wait & wait & wait...back inside she'd squat
& pee, Grrrrrr! She hates outside, period. Hates being out for walking, hanging
out, pottying, wants to be inside, all times, forever! She gave no signals either.
It's taken me 4 months of doing everything possible, staying on schedule, taking
her out & waiting on her (I put a chair out there and just let her sit on the porch
(knowing she HAD to go) as long as possible before giving up, ignoring accidents
and effusive praise when she DID go outside...and treats!, limiting her area in the
house to crate or bathroom and just kept plodding along.

She has started to signal (very subtle) and I have to leash her and take her to her
potty area if it's wet or raining and get wait too...sigh...

I'd suggest at his young age to try midways thru y'all's day to go by and take him out
or hire a neighbor or dog care company until he's 6 months older. Try crating him again
and leash him when not crated as to pick up on his signals, he will eventually poo outside
you just have to STAY THE COURSE, irritating, frustrating, time consuming & endure the
'no fun' aspect until he gives in...and he will...eventually. Don't give up on him or your
ability, when he starts doing this, it'll all be behind you.

Btw, this IS a common problem w/bullies...it just is. GOD bless & let us know how it goes.

OP
Higgins

Higgins

Dec 21, 2012
Denver, CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So yesterday I feed him around 5:30 like I normally do. I take him out around 6:15 or so and we proceed to sit outside for a little over and hour with him not going potty at all. I keep an eye on him throughout the night before I go to bed and he never ones looks like he is trying to go. Wake up this morning to 3 piles on the floor. I am starting him on the crate tonight.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.