Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Potty issues

I just posted a thread about this issue w/my adopted Cami, 5 y/o and I've
    had her about 4 months. Cami would poo outside (sometimes) but never pee.
    As you say, I'd take her out and wait & wait & wait...back inside she'd squat
    & pee, Grrrrrr! She hates outside, period. Hates being out for walking, hanging
    out, pottying, wants to be inside, all times, forever! She gave no signals either.
    It's taken me 4 months of doing everything possible, staying on schedule, taking
    her out & waiting on her (I put a chair out there and just let her sit on the porch
    (knowing she HAD to go) as long as possible before giving up, ignoring accidents
    and effusive praise when she DID go outside...and treats!, limiting her area in the
    house to crate or bathroom and just kept plodding along.

She has started to signal (very subtle) and I have to leash her and take her to her
    potty area if it's wet or raining and get wait too...sigh...

I'd suggest at his young age to try midways thru y'all's day to go by and take him out
    or hire a neighbor or dog care company until he's 6 months older. Try crating him again
    and leash him when not crated as to pick up on his signals, he will eventually poo outside
    you just have to STAY THE COURSE, irritating, frustrating, time consuming & endure the
    'no fun' aspect until he gives in...and he will...eventually. Don't give up on him or your
    ability, when he starts doing this, it'll all be behind you.

Btw, this IS a common problem w/bullies...it just is. GOD bless & let us know how it goes.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    RYAN
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

So yesterday I feed him around 5:30 like I normally do. I take him out around 6:15 or so and we proceed to sit outside for a little over and hour with him not going potty at all. I keep an eye on him throughout the night before I go to bed and he never ones looks like he is trying to go. Wake up this morning to 3 piles on the floor. I am starting him on the crate tonight.
    How could you not love a bulldog?

Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ramsay
    Likes (Received)

Good luck with the crate tonight! Just be ready in the morning - straight outside if no accidents!

Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ramsay
    Likes (Received)

@Higgins how is the training going? Is the crate helping at all?

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know!

Just after I posted about Cami's great progress...she soaked my bed, GRRRRR
    I'd only let her on for a brief time, left the room and there ya go. I'd put my goose
    down featherbed and nice comforter back on my bed too! Since we've been going
    thru this so long and she's an adult, 5 y/o, and had just finished (she looked guilty)
    she got a very stern talking too, one smack on her butt to emphasize my displeasure,
    and marched outside!

Do you know, since that day a week ago, she barks and then goes to the door, right
    out, does her business immediately, poos & PEES. Not ONE accident and again, barking
    to let me know is new. I think she's finally...put it all together and understands what she
    needs to do...I'm so happy! Hang in there, my friend...if a 5 y/o can learn so can he.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    this is going to be brutal, but you have to keep him out there (weather permitting) till he goes and then make a really big deal with treats nd love when he does.
    ^ Ditto as Christine said

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Yeah, inquiring minds want to know!

Just after I posted about Cami's great progress...she soaked my bed, GRRRRR
    I'd only let her on for a brief time, left the room and there ya go. I'd put my goose
    down featherbed and nice comforter back on my bed too! Since we've been going
    thru this so long and she's an adult, 5 y/o, and had just finished (she looked guilty)
    she got a very stern talking too, one smack on her butt to emphasize my displeasure,
    and marched outside!

Do you know, since that day a week ago, she barks and then goes to the door, right
    out, does her business immediately, poos & PEES. Not ONE accident and again, barking
    to let me know is new. I think she's finally...put it all together and understands what she
    needs to do...I'm so happy! Hang in there, my friend...if a 5 y/o can learn so can he.

Carol

Real Name
    RYAN
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

He freaked out pretty hard about the crate. So to a way more structured routine and he has seem to take to it very well. Plus I think he missed my wife bc since she has been home he has not had 1 accident lol

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

NICE job!!

Real Name
    RYAN
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Ok so had a few accidents and I figured it out. He wont go outside if its to hot. It was like 93 out during the day while I was gone at work and I thought about the other times he had accidents and it was also very hot out. So any ideas on how to combat this?

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
    He just wont poop outside. I walk him like 4 times a day and he just wont do it for whatever reason. The really weird part is if I see him walking and sniffing around the apartment like he is going to go I will take him out immediately and he will just walk around and not go lol.
    when you potty trained him did you have a command? My neighbors still laugh at me because in the dead of winter i was outside telling brutus "Good Poopy!" He is 8mos old and if i see him just running around or not paying attention to what he is outside for I will tell him good poopy and he will go to his spot and poop. Maybe you can leash him and try training him over again with a command.

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

I would suggest getting the crate out and starting over. You may need to take him walking a bit as well to get the body flowing. I honestly think that no matter how much you clean the carpet the smell never really gets out due to the padding underneath. Good luck!
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads