Behavioral Issues with 3 year old male bulldog and 10 month old female bulldog

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Hi all,

This is quite a biggey so be patient with me......

Over the past 3 months I've noticed a pattern with my 2 babies. The back story goes like this. Bruno, our 3 year old is quite docile, independent and has had major surgeries over the past 2.5 years which include luxating patella, entropian on both eyes, hip replacement and surgery for partial tear in cruciate ligament (all leg surgeries apply to the left hind leg). So the guy has been through the wars. Kills me but he's such a trooper, he just keeps going on. Love of my life really as is Gidget but I think your first bully is always special. I have a soft spot for him because he's been through so much.

Prior to having the latest surgery for the partial tear in cruciate ligament we left both babies together in our laundry which has a doggy door leading to the fenced in backyard. We both work full time. Since the latest surgery Bruno has been crated during the day which is almost 3 months now.

Gidget, the 10 month old female, is left in the laundry and can use the doggy door when she pleases. She is a completely different personality. She's in your face, wants to be touched, incredibly affectionate and completely adorable. She is definitely the louder of the 2. Barks and makes all sorts of cute sooky noises. She's bossy and loud.

Over the past few days I've been home sick so I let them be, free to stay in or go out. I noticed that when Bruno went outside to potty or ponder Gidget's is trying to be alpha. She mounts him with both front paws and humps, sideways, front on, backwards, any which way! He in turn growls and tries the same with her. But it's definitely Gidget that's the aggressor. It seems that Bruno is only defending himself/standing his ground. He never initiates. I was in the backyard with them and Bruno just looked at me as if to say, save me mum! I really feel bad for him because he might really like being out in the sun but he can't get a moments piece with her around. In the end, he ran towards me and preferred to be in side away from her. It's almost as if Gidget thinks that the backyard is some sort of battle field that she has to dominate.

I should add, that this type of behavior is occasionally displayed inside but I always correct Gidget under my supervision.

Is this just a puppy phase for Gidg? Do you think that she'll get over this? I know lots members here crate their bully's while their at work but it just seems unfair that Bruno has to be inside all day in his crate but I don't want them brawling all day when I'm not there to correct them.

Any solutions guys? They have both been spayed. I have seen Bruno sniffing her lady parts and trying to hump her too but as I've said, Gidget is by far the aggressor.

There may be no solution but I guess I'm just looking for a bit of assurance. Am I doing the right thing by separating them like this?

Thanks a million.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You may need to take ownership of the yard as you have done in the house. This is all normal dog behavior when they feel there isn't a leader.

Also, my two sound similar to yours and the situation only it was all the time especially once Banks (girl) became older like 2 or 3.... she just wanted to rule everything. We had to keep them on seperate levels of the house if we were not at home. She attacked or tried to mount ALL the time and after many training sessions with a professional, we realized and accepted it was just her personality and we have to keep her in check and make sure she did not have the option to do any of the behavior.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4197]Bruno and Gidget[/MENTION] Looks like you were given great advice and I agree you must do the same outside that you are doing inside the house. Gidget looks like such a sweet little thing next to Bruno but those are the ones you gotta watch. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would crate both during the day when you are not home, this is the safest thing for them. a doggie door can be dangerous for a bully left at home alone in the summer time. They will go out to sun, get hot and never come back in and will just lay there and die of heat stroke. I would not take that chance. As far as the dominance thing, you have some good advise above, so I have nothing to add to that.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.