"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Tobs31 View Post
    Hi everyone! I have been having a serious problem with my two boys fighting. It doesn't happen all the time but are spurts where it happens everyday. It mostly happens when my older boy, Hank, is near me and the younger, Ted, comes over. Hank starts to growl and they just leap at each other. This also happens at bed time (they both sleep in bed) it is like Hank doesn't want Ted on the bed so it starts all over...the growling and then the fighting. This fighting has caused problems in my relationship and it is also hard to have people over. I have asked my vet about it and he says it is like "two brothers arguing." I asked about neutering, they are both still intact, and he doesn't think that would help. I was considering a trainer but I don't know. I am confused and frustrated at this point.
    If you are confused and frustrated, think how confused and frustrated your pups must feel! Give them some clear direction; be the pack leader. This combative behavior will only escalate with time. Disagree with behavior you do not like. Hank cannot claim you. Ted cannot claim you either. Until you've established that you're the boss with the hot sauce, no more sleeping on the bed with you for either of them. Dogs have a sense of fairness so you must be 1000 percent FAIR, treating them exactly the same. Play no favorites - they'll know you're doing it!

If it's hard to have people over, then your situation is worse than you've described. Practice having company over and set them up for success so they remember what its like WITHOUT fights between them. This will require your full attention and your most calm and assertive self (all human pack leaders in your family). I'd try this: Put drag leashes on them and disagree (a sharp, short pull on the leash -- to throw them off balance and get them to pay attention to you -- and use your own disagree noise - mine is ACK!) with any behaviors you don't like. BE CLEAR so you don't confuse them. Also you can't be anxious either --- waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak -- or you're only aiding and abetting the problem. Reward GOOD behaviors (like cooperation and nice play) by sharing that positive energy with them. They'll know! Set them up again and again for success and then that will become the norm. Being "on it" doesn't mean forever. I've been thru this and it's worth every single second in the long run, I can assure you.

And about being intact....can you imagine having the urge to mate -- a biological imperative that you can do NOTHING about --- and not be able to EVER? I disagree about "won't help". Of course neutering your pups is the best thing for them -- and you. The bonus is that you avoid many cancers males get to boot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads