Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crate Training

I agree w/David & the others, for bullies, 8 weeks is the earliest and that
    doesn't apply to the shyer, more clingy pups and really, 10-12 weeks should
    be standard before leaving Mom & Siblings...those last 2 or 3 weeks they learn
    social behavior. Some effects are not noticed until later with these too early
    placed pups such as aggression towards other dogs and/or people. Other effects
    like anxiety, separation problems, training stubborness...even tho you may have
    gotten your other pups early, they might have been more confident, etc.

As you say, you have the pup now and so onward...try putting a frozen Kong
    w/peanut butter or something so if he wakes up, he can divert his attention to
    that and hopefully, tire himself out! Placing crate close enough to reach down
    & comfort him, placing a sheet over the crate, putting fav toy w/him...all great
    suggestions. He will be maturing & growing up quickly so even tho it feels like
    forever, he'll adjust soon. Hang in there and just love him.

And yeah, I think we all forget & underestimate puppy training...same with
    human babies...we just forget it all then think we're up to raising another one!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ramsay
    Likes (Received)

Hey there. I can speak to having a baby bully - I got my Ramsay at 6.5 weeks. For the first week he would whine every night when I put him in his crate to sleep. All you can do is ignore it. I've also heard that you should have the crate in a room that is not your bedroom... this can make them even more attached you you and make separation anxiety worse in the future. What I did during the day was every time Ramsay would fall asleep, I'd put him in the crate so he would get used to waking up it. This seemed to also work.

You can also play games that make your puppy enjoy the crate! Like putting his food bowl in there and then closing the door with him on the outside! He will go crazy wanting to go into the crate! You can also put him in the crate and feed him treats/kibble through the sides - again, teaching him that his crate is a happy place.

Also, I found this really helps! If he begins to bark or whine at all when in the crate, you can put a blanket over the crate so he cannot see out. He will soon learn that barking = owner go away. Once he stops barking, uncover the crate and reward. If he continues to bark, rattle the crate a little to make him stop barking. Say 'quiet', uncover and reward. This method worked for Ramsay like a charm! I was so happy when the behaviorist told me about it.

Ramsay is now 3.5 months old (15 weeks) and I feel comfortable leaving him for 1.5-2 hours alone in his crate and I know he won't bark. He is great at night and will go into it when I point into it. He sometimes even goes in on his own!

It is definitely not an over night thing, but with making the crate seem like a fun place, your puppy will love it soon enough! Hope all of this helps

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

We covered brutus' crate with a lightweight sheet from day one and he slept until we woke him to potty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads