General Question What type of training to use

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Dexter is a 4yo neutered male and he is normally AWESOME when it ones to behaving. Except for when it comes to certain items. I'm never sure what's gonna set him off, it's mostly things I hold in my hand. I know any squirt bottle,flyswatter (he even attacks these while they're laying on the ground), SWIFFER DUSTER, the list goes on and on...and varies. I have to put him in his kennel when I clean using anything he goes nuts over. And I mean CRAZY! Jumping barking nuts! Even if he's in his kennel...the other day ' my boyfriend was holding his shotgun getting ready to clean it, that set him off, we had to shut the door where he was cleaning. I've had him sine he was a baby and I KNOW no one has ever abused him or hit him. I've tried no, leave it, I'm down to my wits end.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'll be watching this thread I have problems with the broom and mop!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

KentuckyBully

Jun 28, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey and Minnie
I heard with the brooms, etc it is a bully thing as Minnie does the same thing. I talked to my trainer about it and she said I need to de-sensitize her and it could take some time. We use positive training using the clicker. I started with putting the sweeper next to her crate so,she could see it and I would move it and click and reward. We are still working on it and it is getting much better and it is all about diverting her attention. I found if she is out, I can give her a kong and she totally ignores it. I'm constantly rewarding her when I get the desired response.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my goodness... My Bella used to freak out over brooms & the vacuum!!! It got so bad I had to crate her... And don't get me started on the guns!!! If my hubby holds or cleans them, both of the dogs lose it... I'm at a loss over this mess!!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I need help w this type of behavior as well. Brie wants to eat the vacuum, dishwasher, broom etc.. I opened the dishwasher the other day and she climbed on top of it. I got her off n she started wildly biting the corner. W the vacuum, she tries to but it and pull it. I give a firm no and she may stop for a sec but its almost like she goes into this rage mode that can't be shut off. Makes cleaning very difficult! :crazy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You'll need to go back to basics and start small... sit, stay, leave it, down. You may not eliminate all the issues, but you could get it down to one or two that need to be lived with. I still, after almost 8 yrs of training with banks can NOT get her to leave the vacuum cleaner alone. I have to put her in a room with the door closed or carry an empty plastic bag, which she is afraid of and keeps her at bay.

Nothing In Life is Free is a great training tool... look it up on the web

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Kiah was afraid of the broom, she wouldnt go near it. I would use positive reinforcement training and everyday bring the broom a little closer. Shes better now, i dare not make sudden movements around her with it though. We havent experienced the vacuum cleaner yet, I have tile floors and i take my rugs outside to clean em. [MENTION=9227]KentuckyBully[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] have great advice. Just associate all the things your bully doesnt like with something positive. It will take time but you will see a different dog soon.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
We've gone back to basics pretty much w Brie..well, she is only 7 mos so we really never stopped the basics much. Lol she has been spayed recently, but I'm not too sure that will calm her down any w this kind of stuff.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online