how do you stop the barking?

samnie

Jun 29, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
samnie
she barks at the kong (& her other treat dispensing) toys when she can't get the food/treat out. i show her how it comes out, she tries 1 time and if she doesn't get the treat she barks at it.

she hears a sound she doesn't like, she barks.

i tell her no, she barks at me. i ask her to be quiet, she barks even more.

i used to be able to leave her in her crate - that's how i potty trained her. now, i make her go in & close the door, she barks and doesn't stop until i let her out. i can't just let her keep barking and wait until she stops before i let her out - we live in a condo & i've already gotten a call about her barking :( im getting really frustrated & afraid we are going to get kicked out of here!!

other bullys i know, they whine when they want a treat. samnie barks. when im eating, she barks cause she wants my food (even if she just got done eating her food!!)

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie barks a bit too when she wants something n can't have it. In her crate, she barks n whines a bit but usually stops when she realizes it isn't doing her any good. I ignore her and she gets it after a little bit. But, I am in a house so I prolly can ignore it for longer then you can. I had a shiba inu that liked to bark a bunch, and the no didn't do a thing. I tried grabbing her by the scruff n gave a firm shake w a no, that helped him. Maybe try that? I know ppl used slip collars to train, a quick jerk w a no, (not a pull or drag, just a quick, gentle jerk) but I don't know if that is appropriate for a bully? Or maybe a can of pennies - shake it when she barks n say no? Or even a spray bottle? A squirt w a no?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You can try squirting her with a spray bottle of water and saying NO! Or/And using coins in an empty soda can, with top duct taped. You shake it when she's misbehaving. It oes work, but often they get used to it.

OP
samnie

samnie

Jun 29, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
samnie
You can try squirting her with a spray bottle of water and saying NO! Or/And using coins in an empty soda can, with top duct taped. You shake it when she's misbehaving. It oes work, but often they get used to it.

oh i've tried both and it makes her even madder. once i stop spraying or shaking the can, she wont only start barking again but she'd also go after me to try and bite me until i put it away where she cant see it.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Music! Trying sining Malagueña Salerosa to your dog. Opera seems to work too. Honest :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]... look another mouthy girl, go figure!? :crazy: We have the same issue with Banks... nothing is off limits with her, barks constantly at everything, she does however, listen to my b/f, at times.

You need to get her back to basics with training and have her respect you... it is going to be a challenge in the beginning and baby steps should be taken, first to do is get her to like her crate again. Do NOT let her out until she stops barking.... tell her no, when she stops barking, open the crate door and treat her immediately. Once, that is achieved, start working in other areas while reinforcing each step.

Nothing in Life is free.... is the training tool i am talking about, look it up and it will help. just keep in mind... one thing at a time so she does not get overwhelmed and not know what you want from her.

key is consistency, routine and everyone in the house is on the same page

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Oh. I have sympathy for you. I have one of those PITA's sitting on my feet right now. Mouthy. Demanding. Bratty. It never stops. Honestly....it's usually because she's trying to communicate something to us. Usually it's cause she wants Stinky Bear. Occasionally it's because she KNOWS there it a piece a kibble from 4 nights ago that she's sniffed out and now wants.....somewhere under the couch. Or she has to go outside. Or she's mad the sun is behind a cloud....or it's because the internet camera is moving, or her water bottle is empty or her dinner is late......... It's always something.

Last edited:

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
I have a mouthy girl too. My trick was not to acknowledge the barking in the crate. After 10 minutes she would stop and relax. We arent using the crate anymore and she hasnt done a single bad deed. You already got the advice you need, the only thing I can add is that you might want to start teaching her to speak and quiet. Its a simple exercise that you do with another person. Have one person on the other side of the door and have then knock. Naturally they will bark and thats your cue to train "speak" and treat. Then when she stops, "quiet" and treat. There is a great video on youtube showing the way. I can dig it up for you if you would like :D

Good luck!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I have a mouthy girl too. My trick was not to acknowledge the barking in the crate. After 10 minutes she would stop and relax. We arent using the crate anymore and she hasnt done a single bad deed. You already got the advice you need, the only thing I can add is that you might want to start teaching her to speak and quiet. Its a simple exercise that you do with another person. Have one person on the other side of the door and have then knock. Naturally they will bark and thats your cue to train "speak" and treat. Then when she stops, "quiet" and treat. There is a great video on youtube showing the way. I can dig it up for you if you would like :D

Good luck!

Can I just ship you baby O....you can train her....then send her back. Only if you want to send her back. You can send her to Becky [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] if you want. Becky won Orion in an auction....she bid 1 million dollars. She's making payments to me for her. She just hasn't started yet.

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Can I just ship you baby O....you can train her....then send her back. Only if you want to send her back. You can send her to Becky [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] if you want. Becky won Orion in an auction....she bid 1 million dollars. She's making payments to me for her. She just hasn't started yet.

If she was better with other dogs I would train Baby O in a heartbeat. I love working with pups. Just like kids, their brains are a sponge. As it stands now, princess Ki wouldnt have it. She just told me that she may be ready for another dog in the house in a year or 2 (most likely 2-3) :) She wants her daddy all to herself until she gets through all this. I would love to be able to have another dog so she could have some canine companionship. I think my goal might be out of reach, we will see.

Lol a million dollars seems low for that gorgeous girl, did you have a reserve? :D

arkiebullymomma

Jul 8, 2013
Northwest, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dahlyla
Hehe....a barking bully. Who woulda though! They seem to be notorious for this. Every single one I've trained has done it... I'm a fan of "shake, rattle and roll". This only works in the crate, but they get the picture pretty quickly. I just showed my dober puppy what this is all about last week, he's dead silent in the crate now...lol. As soon as she starts barking, freeze the moment with a loud "no", then walk to the kennel, grab it by both sides and shake it side to side. It doesn't have to be violently, just enough to throw them off balance a little. As you're doing it say "no, no, no, quiet". Then walk away. If she starts again... "no", go to the kennel, pick up the front and about a foot off the ground and drop it, and say "no, no, no, quiet". If she continues (most don't after this point)... same thing with the "no", only this time, you'll flip the kennel completely onto it's back, very quickly and abruptly, again saying "no, no, no, quiet". Let it stay that way for about 30 seconds, then flip it back to it's bottom. Bullys are definitely one of the more stubborn breeds, but even so, this seems to make the point quite quickly. I only had to flip Dahlyla's once before she got it. She's not crated anymore, but when she was she dang sure knew she better be quiet. And through using "no, no, no, quiet", they'll learn what that means and you can use it at other times, like if she's barking at the doorbell or whatever. Simply say "no, quiet" and she'll stop. Repetition forms habit!

Most Reactions