Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hehe....a barking bully. Who woulda though! They seem to be notorious for this. Every single one I've trained has done it... I'm a fan of "shake, rattle and roll". This only works in the crate, but they get the picture pretty quickly. I just showed my dober puppy what this is all about last week, he's dead silent in the crate now...lol. As soon as she starts barking, freeze the moment with a loud "no", then walk to the kennel, grab it by both sides and shake it side to side. It doesn't have to be violently, just enough to throw them off balance a little. As you're doing it say "no, no, no, quiet". Then walk away. If she starts again... "no", go to the kennel, pick up the front and about a foot off the ground and drop it, and say "no, no, no, quiet". If she continues (most don't after this point)... same thing with the "no", only this time, you'll flip the kennel completely onto it's back, very quickly and abruptly, again saying "no, no, no, quiet". Let it stay that way for about 30 seconds, then flip it back to it's bottom. Bullys are definitely one of the more stubborn breeds, but even so, this seems to make the point quite quickly. I only had to flip Dahlyla's once before she got it. She's not crated anymore, but when she was she dang sure knew she better be quiet. And through using "no, no, no, quiet", they'll learn what that means and you can use it at other times, like if she's barking at the doorbell or whatever. Simply say "no, quiet" and she'll stop. Repetition forms habit!

I get what you are saying here...and you are right, some of us just have stubborn bullies. Orion would tell me how it is, no matter what's at stake. Vegas...if I did this to him, he'd break a leg. I have a hard time picturing doing this with a bulldog in the crate. Most of us cringe as they go up and down the stairs...afraid they are going to tear an ACL or something else. When you "flip the kennel completely onto it's back, very quickly and abruptly, again saying "no, no, no, quiet". Let it stay that way for about 30 seconds, then flip it back to it's bottom" what happens the the dog inside? Certainly they can be severely hurt by throwing them around like that.

arkiebullymomma

Jul 8, 2013
Northwest, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dahlyla
Well, I've been using this method for over 10 years and I've never injured a dog with it. Including my bulldog.... If you rolled it over and over and over, perhaps. But just to flip it on it's back...highly unlikely. We all know how rough bullys play... They'd be more likely to be injured in everyday activities. Every one of my clients with this problem has used this with great success, never any injuries. If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it. Just thought I'd offer some advice from a trainer prospective... Bullies are notoriously stubborn...it's always good to have several tricks up your sleeve to work into training with them. But if OP doesn't like the idea, by all means skip it. There's always more than one way to teach a dog. :)

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
I feel the same way [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]. Ive seen youre method many times in the past [MENTION=9295]arkiebullymomma[/MENTION] with bigger breeds and it has worked. I would go with the pennies in a can or positive reinforcement with an EB though. I cant put anymore stress in Kiahs life, she too much of a trauma drama mama. Kiah would go into a nervous breakdown if I flipped her cage. Let alone the injuries that could be sustained. EB's are a different dog altogether, she will let me know the second someone steps on my porch. All it takes is a thank you, thats enough and she will walk over to me and sit. Patiently waiting for a treat or affection for a job well done. If she gets really mouthy, i use a firm "quiet!". If im on the phome with a client, i can use my finger to put over my mouth, like a shush. She hasnt fully caught on to that one yet, but we havent been working on it too long.

Every dog is a little bit different and every technique will not work the same way. Find the ones that best suite you and your dog and run with it, it just takes patience.

PS [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] $1.50? Becky got rolllllled :p

Last edited:

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Nothing stopped Aubie until we picked up one of those can things that makes a hissing noise... It's not the Pet Corrector one, but one we got from PetSmart. We sprayed it a couple times after giving her three warnings and now all we have to do is pick it up and she stops. Lord knows how long it will work though.

Wee Angus

Apr 1, 2013
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
No one has mentioned bark collars like Static Bark Collars. Are they safe to use on BD's? I's considering trying one because nothing I have tried has had any long term effect on the barking.

MzReBeLgUrL

Feb 18, 2014
Beulaville, North Carolina, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bully and Ginger
I'm having the barking issues with Bully as well. He does fine at times with being put to bed in the crate / kennel at night to eat and sleep. I feed my dogs at night and they usually sleep through the night. Bully on the other hand I adopted him in May of last year and he went through the barking phase for about 3 months and quit, and now last night it started all over again. I don't know what to do. He doesn't like the spray bottle or the coins in a can. Any other suggestions? I'm at my wits end right now. Thanks

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm having the barking issues with Bully as well. He does fine at times with being put to bed in the crate / kennel at night to eat and sleep. I feed my dogs at night and they usually sleep through the night. Bully on the other hand I adopted him in May of last year and he went through the barking phase for about 3 months and quit, and now last night it started all over again. I don't know what to do. He doesn't like the spray bottle or the coins in a can. Any other suggestions? I'm at my wits end right now. Thanks

I have not tried this myself but i've heard of people using an air horn to stop a dog from barking. Might be worth a try since it looks like you've attempted lots of different avenues already.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
An air horn could be a little rough with the pitch and all but a can of spray air like the stuff you use to clean computers works wonders.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We got Curly a bark color that sprays air in his face by remote when he was younger because he was barking a lot. Basically there are three buttons - 1 beeps, 2 is. Light spray, 3 long spray. The directions say that the beeps should be used for positive reinforcement but I used it as a warning before I sprayed him. So when he would start barking I would beep. Then if he continue to bark I would beep then spray. It took about 3 sprays before he learned the beep meant he needed to be quiet.

Now all we need to do is beep the remote and he will stop barking and do something else (chew on a bone or go lay down)

The collar was a bit expensive (I want to say $75 on amazon). If you don't want to spend that type of money I would take [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] 's suggestion with the air can but double it up with a beep sound (you can probably find some small toy that fits in your pocket just make sure it's a unique sound). I find that verbal commands are confusing sometimes which is why I'm suggesting something with a constant tone. More so if you are in public and he starts barking you can just give a quick beep and he will know that he needs to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.