grouchy bull

SCOTTANGE

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
Hello,
Lola my one year old female has recently started showing aggressive behavior. When she is under her chair where she likes to sleep and you try to get her out to go to the bathroom or go to sleep she will growl and snap. It has been getting worse, at first we thought it was just related to going downstairs to sleep which she has shown she does not like because she is alone. Now it is whenever she is forced to do something she doesn't want to do, last night she umped on the couch where our son was sleeping and when we tried to remove here she became aggressive. This morning when leaving the house my wife directed her out of the way with her foot and she went after her foot. Any help would be appreciated, she is very gentle usually and is constantly given affection by the family which makes this disturbing.

Thank You

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
She is healthy? I just want to make she isnt in pain before the regiment commences :D

I have dealt with exactly what you are going through now. Lola is claiming spaces and defending them. Plus EB's can be hard headed. How often do you work with her?

First things first, cut off access to these areas (this is only temporary). Next, back to basics with obedience, especially with "leave it" and "come". Use special treats for these exercises only. It may take a week to a month or longer. The end result will be you allowing her to go into these spaces, only if she complies with you taking it back. Everything belongs to you, she just gets to use it. Google "NILIF", she will learn to work for what she wants. She must learn to leave it if you dont want her in something which can be dangerous.

Just before I saw this post, Kiah went under my recliner and laid down. She didnt listen and just zoned me out. I moved her over and only got a minor growl and a small stink eye. 3 months ago she would lunge and attack. Keep in mind that 10 minutes before the recliner, which could have been very dangerous if I didnt know she was there, I was rolling her around on the ground while we were playing. I can pick her up, nuzzle her neck and rub her belly, she loves it and asks for more. I need to constantly work with her so she doesnt regress to her old self. Everyday can be a challenge, depending on what we encounter.

We are all here to help with any questions you may have.

I dont recommend moving her until you start working with her, give it time. I used a leash in the house with Kiah at first, the key is to prevent it from happening.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is healthy? I just want to make she isnt in pain before the regiment commences :D

I have dealt with exactly what you are going through now. Lola is claiming spaces and defending them. Plus EB's can be hard headed. How often do you work with her?

First things first, cut off access to these areas (this is only temporary). Next, back to basics with obedience, especially with "leave it" and "come". Use special treats for these exercises only. It may take a week to a month or longer. The end result will be you allowing her to go into these spaces, only if she complies with you taking it back. Everything belongs to you, she just gets to use it. Google "NILIF", she will learn to work for what she wants. She must learn to leave it if you dont want her in something which can be dangerous.

Just before I saw this post, Kiah went under my recliner and laid down. She didnt listen and just zoned me out. I moved her over and only got a minor growl and a small stink eye. 3 months ago she would lunge and attack. Keep in mind that 10 minutes before the recliner, which could have been very dangerous if I didnt know she was there, I was rolling her around on the ground while we were playing. I can pick her up, nuzzle her neck and rub her belly, she loves it and asks for more. I need to constantly work with her so she doesnt regress to her old self. Everyday can be a challenge, depending on what we encounter.

I dont recommend moving her until you start working with her, give it time. I used a leash in the house with Kiah at first, the key is to prevent it from happening.

PERFECTION in advice...... great post!! [MENTION=6069]SCOTTANGE[/MENTION] Bullyproof ha you covered. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie gets a bit growly when sleeping on the bed n my hubby moves her. We've started working the basics w her again as well. Patience and diligence will pay off eventually.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Daisy does that too when she falls asleep on the couch and I go to move her. She gets angry! Its kinda scary at times!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Great advice, but I would get her checked out too to make sure there is nothing wrong. she may be hurting or her thyroid levels could be off ... definitely worth checking out if this is a change from her normal happy self!! :yes:

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Great advice, but I would get her checked out too to make sure there is nothing wrong. she may be hurting or her thyroid levels could be off ... definitely worth checking out if this is a change from her normal happy self!! :yes:

That was my first concern as well, something seems off here..

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

:clap2:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.