Help- Lunging at moving objects- is this aggression?

Mom2Daphne

May 29, 2013
PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Daphne
Hello. So we have had our foster dog a 1-2 year old spayed female for almost 2 months. Her name is Daphne and she is developing some behaviors that I hope are not going to be a big issue. she is great with people and strangers, but does not like other dogs. she will bark and lunge if she gets too close. She will walk fine on a leash if given enough distance from other animals unless the other dog shows an interest and is barking or pulling. she will try and chase rabbits and birds, but has not chased them past the property line. she does not seem to have a high prey drive.....unless you think that is what is actually go on here. the new behaviors are barking and nipping at the kids when they are on the kid type 4 wheelers ( I think she is more barking at the 4 wheeler, at least I hope), barking and lunging if someone is on the swing (no biting), at times she barks at and wants to attack the lawn mower- she was not like this at first. If I entertain her or watch her closely I can get her to stay away from the lawn mower pretty easily with verbal commands and if I hook her up to the lead line she does not bark or pull at all, but with the swing or 4 wheeler she can be fine for the 1st 5 minutes and then she goes into lunge and bark mode. I think it is getting worse. Any suggestions to manage these behaviors and do you think this is a type of aggression? So far she has not been aggressive with food or toys. she is crazily obsessed with balls or anything that rolls. thanks. Evelyn

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My Bea is NOT in any way an aggressive dog. Bea has an INCREDIBLE prey drive. Very different things. Completely different.

This can work for and against me -- but mostly against. LOL Mostly, it's a safety concern when we are walking because she does react to loud vehicles (Caterpillars, loud trucks, service vehicles with loud machinery running) --- she acts as though she wants to bite the tires? I put a question mark here because I've never let her loose to see what would happen. Too dangerous! Bea will chase anything moving - garden hose, stick that I drag in front of her, toys, whatever. In a post somewhere else, I talked about claiming a broom/rake because she liked to obsessively (a clear desire to KILL the broom/rake) chase those as well. Claiming every tractor or big truck that lumbers by isn't possible so I redirect as best I can (snap her out of the stalk, I call it) and don't give it too much energy. With the maintenance guy's tractor, a couple of times, I have had to get in between it and her to redirect. Sometimes, she doesn't react at all too. Kooky dog. On the positive side, she loves to chase bubbles and it's a game I encourage because it's great exercise for her. (She's not a vigorous walker, lets say...LOL...so she's got to get exercise some how). Too, the closer to the "target" the more obsessive / "enthused" /crazy she gets.

For her own safety, you should work on redirecting her from chasing the four wheelers and jumping at the swinging children. She won't know that this is behavior you don't want unless you tell her. Too, taking her on a long walk --- tire her out -- before any training session will also help her get it quicker.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] has given you great advice .

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Most of them do like chasing things that move and run, it's just that canine thing. Sounds like for the most part she is playing, but when it comes to jumping on or at the kids on the swings and chasing the 4 wheelers, I would stop her from doing this, just so she won't get hurt or she accidentally hurt one of the kids. She is getting more comfortable with her new home and now she needs to learn the rules, what is acceptable and not acceptable behavior, and it's up to you to teach her right from wrong. The lunging at other dogs you need to work with her on that as well. Right now you don't know if she is dog aggressive or just wanting to play, either way, when she is on lead, she does not need to do that. One way to start training her on the dog lunging and vehicle lunging, is when you are walking her, when she does this, either tug the leash to the side quickly, or bump her on the rear with your foot to snap her out of it and tell her "NO". If at first this does not get her attention, then when you see the object coming, make her sit and stay seated until the object has passed and then give her a treat and plenty of praise. It takes time, patience, and consistency on your part to get this done. Get your kids involved in the training of her too. This can be fun for the kids and her, plus also lets her know they are part of the pack and above her. Good luck with the training and be patient, and get everyone involved and have fun with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My Bea is NOT in any way an aggressive dog. Bea has an INCREDIBLE prey drive. Very different things. Completely different.

This can work for and against me -- but mostly against. LOL Mostly, it's a safety concern when we are walking because she does react to loud vehicles (Caterpillars, loud trucks, service vehicles with loud machinery running) --- she acts as though she wants to bite the tires? I put a question mark here because I've never let her loose to see what would happen. Too dangerous! Bea will chase anything moving - garden hose, stick that I drag in front of her, toys, whatever. In a post somewhere else, I talked about claiming a broom/rake because she liked to obsessively (a clear desire to KILL the broom/rake) chase those as well. Claiming every tractor or big truck that lumbers by isn't possible so I redirect as best I can (snap her out of the stalk, I call it) and don't give it too much energy. With the maintenance guy's tractor, a couple of times, I have had to get in between it and her to redirect. Sometimes, she doesn't react at all too. Kooky dog. On the positive side, she loves to chase bubbles and it's a game I encourage because it's great exercise for her. (She's not a vigorous walker, lets say...LOL...so she's got to get exercise some how). Too, the closer to the "target" the more obsessive / "enthused" /crazy she gets.

For her own safety, you should work on redirecting her from chasing the four wheelers and jumping at the swinging children. She won't know that this is behavior you don't want unless you tell her. Too, taking her on a long walk --- tire her out -- before any training session will also help her get it quicker.

^^^^ there ya go!

Most Reactions