Advice on bathing and potty training!

Sheli

May 18, 2013
San Antonio,TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NiKlauz
My bully NiKlauz is currently going to be 7mths old and i am having issues with the frequency or lack of from both the breeder and the vet on how often i should and shouldn't bath him. To begin with you'd think the breeder would know better but i've had issues with his methods from the start. I bought Klauz from a home breeder in Dallas, TX. at 8 wks old and the breeder told me he had him on Crown Royol medium dog in the red bag even gave us some for the trip home with a picture of it. Said we shouldn't change it, that he'd be stressed out and that we should try to only bath him once a month due to coat drying out and hot spots,etc... Vet recommends twice a week but this vet also caused my bully to stress out and get a mit cause they told me at four months old he should get the rabies vac and he was still teething. Have looked for another vet but they all sound the same, still looking. I have since changed his diet cause he was always diarrhetic and got that under control but the bathing is still a problem cause iether way he gets hot spots or hair lose, I use an oatmeal shampoo when i'm not taking him once a week to the vet for a dermo dex bath. What's y'alls bathing routine and with what brand or type of shampoo?
Potty Training! I was trying the cage thing but with the diarrhea i'd have to bath him every day several times a day even so i bought a doggie play pin/yard type thing that i keep in the house. I put the pee pads on one end his bed in another plus i do not free feed and water I give and monitor that as well. Kluaz plays with or lays on pee pads and goes in/on his bed. I've tryed the doggie door bells to no avail he won't even bark much less paw at the bells, I take him out more frequintly and it's as if i didn't cause as soon as he comes back in he's peed or pooped. I've done/do the treats thing too, is it just that he's still a puppy? What advice do y'all have for me?

Help :pray:
Sheli and NiKlauz

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we bath our two guys every two weeks, so twice a month. I use the Tearless Puppy Shampoo with Oatmeal and Chamomile from Petsmart. We shampoo them first then rinse with warm water, then I use Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with warm water and rinse their bodies with it, and leave it on for about 5 minutes, I don't put it on their head though, then I rinse this off with warm water. It helps to keep them smelling nice in between their baths, plus it's very good for their skin and coat.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

Last edited:

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I'm not even going to comment on the potty training aspect as that is a period of Tubbys life I would like to forget!
As for bathing Tubby gets a bath once a month. I forgeet the brand of shampoo we use but we are lucky that Tubby has no skin conditions. He gets brushed every other day now with the amount of shedding he is doing.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Mine don't get bathes until they need it, maybe once every 2-3 months, frequent bathing isn't necessary.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Wee hardly ever bath ours unless they really need it. As far as potty training, it just takes time and patience. When they wake up, finish playing, or finish eating, take them out, and every few hours in between. Just be patient, he will get there.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I used the crate to potty train Brie. When I first got her at 8 weeks, I was sort of a slave to her potty needs, taking her out when she needed day and nite. The sal, after eating, naps, play etc. i kept her in her crate a lot. She has always been really good about barking when she needed to go in her crate. I started a schedule for her and tried my best to stick w it as much as i could. i would take her out first thing in the morning, feed her, play a bit, take her out again - for a total of maybe 1 1/2- 2 hrs or so. Then in the crate she went for about 3 hours, then out for potty, lunch, playtime for another 2 hours etc... This seemed to wrk really well for her. It helped that I was home all day too tho. It's harder when you are working and have to schedule around that, and Loose poo makes it very hard too :blink:

As for bathing, I bathe her when she stinks..lol ...I would say 1x a month or every other month unless she absolutely needed more. I use a gentle hypoallergenic puppy shampoo w oatmeal. I cant recall its name off hand, but I think any gentle hypoallergenic puppy w oatmeal would b good? I also use wipes to clean her folds and the rest of her body daily. Poor thing can't reach her privates and it dirties up quick!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I was so lucky with potty training Dudley -- I swear it was because he was crate-trained. I had to work and he had to learn to live in his crate and hold it until I got home...and bless him, he did. He was great. I think he only had 2 accidents between the time I got him at 8 weeks and 12 weeks.

As for bathing -- my vet said not to do it too often because it would dry his skin out too much. He gets a bath about every 8 to 10 weeks. We do wrinkles and folds every day. He gets his nails cut and filed about every month. ;)

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
My girl gets a bath when she starts to stink, same as the others, about once a month. Most bully breeds have a natural oil they produce and if you bathe them too often, their skin can dry out. I use a hypoallergenic shampoo with oatmeal as well. I clean her face daily, eyes and wrinkles. I wash her chin after each meal with babywipes or antibacterial soap and ketoseb or malaket wipes. I also wipe her chin after she drinks.

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
You are awesome for posting this!! I can't wait to try. Thank you, thank you, thank you! A few questions... do they go to the door on their own now? Do they paw at the door? Do you give them free reign of the house? Did you always take them out the same exact way every time?

Hi, we bath our two guys every two weeks, so twice a month. I use the Tearless Puppy Shampoo with Oatmeal and Chamomile from Petsmart. We shampoo them first then rinse with warm water, then I use Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with warm water and rinse their bodies with it, and leave it on for about 5 minutes, I don't put it on their head though, then I rinse this off with warm water. It helps to keep them smelling nice in between their baths, plus it's very good for their skin and coat.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.