The broom warrior!!

zizasdad

Apr 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
ziza
Hello

First off I am a newbie dad, so I don't know if this is normal or not. My baby girls Ziza is a hit girl for brooms. What am I missing? All brooms are fair game! plastic,push brooms and hand brooms. To behonest it is very funny to me until I have to sweep. Sweep is one trigger for her, but there are more often times. she will go in Rambo mode and crawl up to it and attack it full throttle. She will go for about five minutes and then off to her nearest bed. My question because I as a newbie, is it ok for my hit girl to continue play or am I setting my self up for something unforeseen because of my ignorance?

Ziza's dad

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello

First off I am a newbie dad, so I don't know if this is normal or not. My baby girls Ziza is a hit girl for brooms. What am I missing? All brooms are fair game! plastic,push brooms and hand brooms. To behonest it is very funny to me until I have to sweep. Sweep is one trigger for her, but there are more often times. she will go in Rambo mode and crawl up to it and attack it full throttle. She will go for about five minutes and then off to her nearest bed. My question because I as a newbie, is it ok for my hit girl to continue play or am I setting my self up for something unforeseen because of my ignorance?

Ziza's dad

I think you better take charge of the situation NOW! I always thought it was soooo funny when my furkids attacked the broom/vacuum. Well I'm paying the price for it now. I have to put them all in their crates and they are all in attack mode barking like crazy everyday when I do. Now I'm working on having my son keep them in sitting position while I do it, so now it's a two person job. It makes the chore an utmost unpleasant experience especially because I do it daily. Hopefully with some work we can teach them some manners!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have to agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] nip it in the rear now or pay for it later. It is cute the first few times they do it but later on you will have issues. We are going through the same thing with Harlea right now but she is slowly getting the hint.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I was in the same boat with Tubby. I would try to sweep up and magically the broom developed a bulldog attachment. I thought it was cute to at the time. Boy do I regret that. Any time I pull the broom out now Tubby thinks its play time. Try to break her of the habit now. I usually walk him to another room or when he goes after it give him a stern NO

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think you better take charge of the situation NOW! I always thought it was soooo funny when my furkids attacked the broom/vacuum. Well I'm paying the price for it now. I have to put them all in their crates and they are all in attack mode barking like crazy everyday when I do. Now I'm working on having my son keep them in sitting position while I do it, so now it's a two person job. It makes the chore an utmost unpleasant experience especially because I do it daily. Hopefully with some work we can teach them some manners!Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)
[MENTION=8697]zizasdad[/MENTION] ^^^^ Lisa is totally right. It is funny and cute now, but down the road it becomes unwanted behavior. stop it now before you can't stop it

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea came to me from the breeder's with this fun little obsession. Rakes, brooms, the big stick with the hook in it that I use to move bird feeders --- all of them fair game. Anything on a stick was subject to her obsessive prey drive. She didn't just chase the broom; she wanted to KILL THE BROOM. Seeing that I am an avid gardener and I wanted to share all my time outside with my pup, I knew this couldn't go on. This little rolly polly ball of wrinkles got downright MEAN SOUNDING when going after the broom or rake. It was like a switch flipped inside her chubby wubby little brain.

I did exactly as I've seen Cesar Millan do on his show many times. I "owned" the item. It's mine -- and she cannot touch it. This VERY EARLY lesson has been reapplied many time since using other things. The best example is the fence at the doggie area in my complex. There are a couple Rottweilers on the other side of it and Bea likes to "fence fight" -- and I do not allow fence fighting! It's been reinforced so many times now (she's three and a half) that I can call, "Bea - MINE" from the other side of the dog park and she'll leave the fence. The idea is that, as her pack leader, everything belongs to me and I just let her have it when I want her to have it. Even the fence.

The first lesson was tough -- on Bea and on me. I wondered if this "owning" thing would even work! She's 100% stubborn bulldog and was VERY unwilling to allow me ownership! She was going to kill that rake by gosh - it was hers to kill --- and I wasn't going to stop her!

The trick - I think - is reapplying that same lesson to other things she cannot have and doing it consistently and fairly. In that way, she's not learning a new lesson, she's reapplying the old one the knows very well to a new (and potentially dangerous) object.

OP
Z

zizasdad

Apr 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
ziza
Thanks, ziza is getting better. I tried everything you guys gave me. I also add another trick. I tied up a toy at the kitchen table. So when I see her at kill mode. I command her to sit. Pick broom or mop up and say no until her face registers and then I redirect her toy her jump to. She has about ten minute of play. Then she will look at me as to say, why are you looking at me I am going to bed. LOL then I can bring a buffing machine in.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Thanks, ziza is getting better. I tried everything you guys gave me. I also add another trick. I tied up a toy at the kitchen table. So when I see her at kill mode. I command her to sit. Pick broom or mop up and say no until her face registers and then I redirect her toy her jump to. She has about ten minute of play. Then she will look at me as to say, why are you looking at me I am going to bed. LOL then I can bring a buffing machine in.

:2thumbs:

Most Reactions