Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The broom warrior!!

  1. #1
    Newbie zizasdad's Avatar
    Posts
    4
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ziza
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default The broom warrior!!

    Hello

    First off I am a newbie dad, so I don't know if this is normal or not. My baby girls Ziza is a hit girl for brooms. What am I missing? All brooms are fair game! plastic,push brooms and hand brooms. To behonest it is very funny to me until I have to sweep. Sweep is one trigger for her, but there are more often times. she will go in Rambo mode and crawl up to it and attack it full throttle. She will go for about five minutes and then off to her nearest bed. My question because I as a newbie, is it ok for my hit girl to continue play or am I setting my self up for something unforeseen because of my ignorance?


    Ziza's dad

  2. #2
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zizasdad View Post
    Hello

    First off I am a newbie dad, so I don't know if this is normal or not. My baby girls Ziza is a hit girl for brooms. What am I missing? All brooms are fair game! plastic,push brooms and hand brooms. To behonest it is very funny to me until I have to sweep. Sweep is one trigger for her, but there are more often times. she will go in Rambo mode and crawl up to it and attack it full throttle. She will go for about five minutes and then off to her nearest bed. My question because I as a newbie, is it ok for my hit girl to continue play or am I setting my self up for something unforeseen because of my ignorance?


    Ziza's dad
    I think you better take charge of the situation NOW! I always thought it was soooo funny when my furkids attacked the broom/vacuum. Well I'm paying the price for it now. I have to put them all in their crates and they are all in attack mode barking like crazy everyday when I do. Now I'm working on having my son keep them in sitting position while I do it, so now it's a two person job. It makes the chore an utmost unpleasant experience especially because I do it daily. Hopefully with some work we can teach them some manners!


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  3. #3
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Marine91's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Blips and Chitz
    Posts
    8,480
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2585

    Default Re: The broom warrior!!

    I have to agree with @desertskybulldogs nip it in the rear now or pay for it later. It is cute the first few times they do it but later on you will have issues. We are going through the same thing with Harlea right now but she is slowly getting the hint.

  4. #4
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Posts
    898
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: The broom warrior!!

    I was in the same boat with Tubby. I would try to sweep up and magically the broom developed a bulldog attachment. I thought it was cute to at the time. Boy do I regret that. Any time I pull the broom out now Tubby thinks its play time. Try to break her of the habit now. I usually walk him to another room or when he goes after it give him a stern NO

  5. #5
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,166
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11497

    Default Re: The broom warrior!!

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    I think you better take charge of the situation NOW! I always thought it was soooo funny when my furkids attacked the broom/vacuum. Well I'm paying the price for it now. I have to put them all in their crates and they are all in attack mode barking like crazy everyday when I do. Now I'm working on having my son keep them in sitting position while I do it, so now it's a two person job. It makes the chore an utmost unpleasant experience especially because I do it daily. Hopefully with some work we can teach them some manners!Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    @zizasdad ^^^^ Lisa is totally right. It is funny and cute now, but down the road it becomes unwanted behavior. stop it now before you can't stop it
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  6. #6
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: The broom warrior!!

    Bea came to me from the breeder's with this fun little obsession. Rakes, brooms, the big stick with the hook in it that I use to move bird feeders --- all of them fair game. Anything on a stick was subject to her obsessive prey drive. She didn't just chase the broom; she wanted to KILL THE BROOM. Seeing that I am an avid gardener and I wanted to share all my time outside with my pup, I knew this couldn't go on. This little rolly polly ball of wrinkles got downright MEAN SOUNDING when going after the broom or rake. It was like a switch flipped inside her chubby wubby little brain.

    I did exactly as I've seen Cesar Millan do on his show many times. I "owned" the item. It's mine -- and she cannot touch it. This VERY EARLY lesson has been reapplied many time since using other things. The best example is the fence at the doggie area in my complex. There are a couple Rottweilers on the other side of it and Bea likes to "fence fight" -- and I do not allow fence fighting! It's been reinforced so many times now (she's three and a half) that I can call, "Bea - MINE" from the other side of the dog park and she'll leave the fence. The idea is that, as her pack leader, everything belongs to me and I just let her have it when I want her to have it. Even the fence.

    The first lesson was tough -- on Bea and on me. I wondered if this "owning" thing would even work! She's 100% stubborn bulldog and was VERY unwilling to allow me ownership! She was going to kill that rake by gosh - it was hers to kill --- and I wasn't going to stop her!

    The trick - I think - is reapplying that same lesson to other things she cannot have and doing it consistently and fairly. In that way, she's not learning a new lesson, she's reapplying the old one the knows very well to a new (and potentially dangerous) object.

  7. #7
    Newbie zizasdad's Avatar
    Posts
    4
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ziza
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: The broom warrior!!

    Thanks, ziza is getting better. I tried everything you guys gave me. I also add another trick. I tied up a toy at the kitchen table. So when I see her at kill mode. I command her to sit. Pick broom or mop up and say no until her face registers and then I redirect her toy her jump to. She has about ten minute of play. Then she will look at me as to say, why are you looking at me I am going to bed. LOL then I can bring a buffing machine in.

  8. #8
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Lisabear123's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Gainesville, Ga
    Posts
    2,454
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: The broom warrior!!

    Quote Originally Posted by zizasdad View Post
    Thanks, ziza is getting better. I tried everything you guys gave me. I also add another trick. I tied up a toy at the kitchen table. So when I see her at kill mode. I command her to sit. Pick broom or mop up and say no until her face registers and then I redirect her toy her jump to. She has about ten minute of play. Then she will look at me as to say, why are you looking at me I am going to bed. LOL then I can bring a buffing machine in.

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •