ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok so I realize that there are folks that like to hear things blow up especially if the initiated it. But really @ 10:00 pm and later? What happened to decency? So there will be a big annual fireworks by the lake in the middle of downtown or uptown as the case may be. [ I look forward to not going again this year ] You would think that would be enough but oh no after that some folks will scamper back home and try their own mini versions. And folks that didn't buy any fireworks would usually grab their firearms and shoot several rounds, but with the high price of ammo this year it may curtail some of that but I ain't betting on it. Why not just buy a case of beer and watch a rerun of the Patriot or Saving Ryan's privates?

I agree 100%... I heard stuff going off till 12am last night!!! I heard gunfire too... I gave our doggies Kong's stuffed w/peanut butter & we turned up the TV. Winston did great, could care less he was interested in stealing Roxie's Kong more than anything else!!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
*snork* Someday I will tell you about my career traveling with the carnival. Yes. I was a "carnie" for a brief summer! But back to the matter at hand, last night was ROUGH. And I am putting it mildly. Mr. Boom Boom aimed his fireworks show my direction so the dogs had a front row seat to sound AND visual display, there in the master bedroom. Bo did better than Bea. She was fit to be tied. Bo kept looking at me like, "Make it STOP." Poor boy. I don't know how much that dude spent on fireworks but his display rivaled that of any local municipality's display. Just when I think he was "winding down" here'd come another BOOM and a glorious shower of color in the sky. Incredible. At one point, it seemed as though a neighbor down the way (directly behind my neighbor, Bob's) was attempting a "fireworks contest" of sorts with my neighbor. So that was fun.

Next year I am going to rent a cabin (hell, a shack would be fine) in the woods somewhere after I google "QUIETEST 4th" and "Prison terms for fireworks users" and most importantly, "dog friendly". There has to be somewhere to get away from these things.

HOLY CRAP!!! Come stay with me.... nothing, not a boom. I heard a few off in the distance, but the pups did not even twist an ear.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
*snork* Someday I will tell you about my career traveling with the carnival. Yes. I was a "carnie" for a brief summer! But back to the matter at hand, last night was ROUGH. And I am putting it mildly. Mr. Boom Boom aimed his fireworks show my direction so the dogs had a front row seat to sound AND visual display, there in the master bedroom. Bo did better than Bea. She was fit to be tied. Bo kept looking at me like, "Make it STOP." Poor boy. I don't know how much that dude spent on fireworks but his display rivaled that of any local municipality's display. Just when I think he was "winding down" here'd come another BOOM and a glorious shower of color in the sky. Incredible. At one point, it seemed as though a neighbor down the way (directly behind my neighbor, Bob's) was attempting a "fireworks contest" of sorts with my neighbor. So that was fun.

Next year I am going to rent a cabin (hell, a shack would be fine) in the woods somewhere after I google "QUIETEST 4th" and "Prison terms for fireworks users" and most importantly, "dog friendly". There has to be somewhere to get away from these things.

It was pretty quiet here too we have an ordinance in our town that outlaws the use of fireworks in town unless done by a pyrotechnics professional meaning they have to be licensed in this state for pyrotechnics.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
HOLY CRAP!!! Come stay with me.... nothing, not a boom. I heard a few off in the distance, but the pups did not even twist an ear.

It was pretty quiet here too we have an ordinance in our town that outlaws the use of fireworks in town unless done by a pyrotechnics professional meaning they have to be licensed in this state for pyrotechnics.

I gotta go to PA or AR to get some quiet? Holy cow. LOL

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
It got a bit crazy here, I live right by the beach in a very active neighborhood. The tv and radio did drown out a lot, but the mortars were going off all around us. Lol I felt like I was trapped in a bunker with her. The good news was, she didnt cower or shake at all. She just went into guard mofe a few times and told those fireworks how she felt! Each time I redirected her amd she was fine. I didnt dare take her outside though.

I hope the rest of you had an easy night!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
LOL@Saving Ryan's Privates.

For many (MANY) years, I was the drunken idiot that enjoyed fireworks displays of all sort. LIVED for them, in fact. July 4th was my favorite "holiday" and I celebrated with zeal. I can't tell you how many great fireworks displays I've passed out drunk at and never even saw. GOOD TIMES!
This sounds like me up until a few years ago. Now it is just another day off from work for me to either spend on the boat or just have an old fashioned BBQ with our friends.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG... They are still shooting off fireworks here!!! It's been 3 nights in a row... Sheesh!!! Lol

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
All's quiet here

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
OMG... They are still shooting off fireworks here!!! It's been 3 nights in a row... Sheesh!!! Lol

I wish it were only 3 days here. It started about 2 weeks ago and will be going on day and night for probably another week or two. Although each night it is less and less and it is a good thing that Harlea pretty much ignored them unless it was a real loud one that was close to the house.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Note to self: stay away from Tennessee....
I agree... I wish I could LEAVE!!! LOL At least last night it started raining so that put a stop to it... Thankfully the dogs don't seem to mind too much, but I would like to keep some sleep :cursing:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I just found a really good article about helping our little guys and girls handle fireworks and thunderstorms better

[h=4]Stop bemoaning your dogā€™s firework phobiaā€¦
and start fixing it instead.[/h]Itā€™s that time of year. People in the US have been celebrating Independence Day in a big way, and my Facebook news feed is flooded with angry posts from the owners of terrified dogs complaining about their neighbors and cities. Nothing inspires quite so much helplessness and rage as watching your dog squeeze himself under the toilet or bed, trembling and drooling, for the fifth day in a row.
Advice on these threads mainly focuses on management: thundershirts,pheromone therapy, aromatherapy, exercise, melatonin, and white noise are all common suggestions. And these things have their place in any good treatment plan for noise-phobic dogs.
Most of the best-intentioned advice continues to miss the point, though. Hereā€™s the thing: noise phobias are treatable. Your dog does not have to continue to suffer.
Take a moment to truly think about this. With just a little bit of training and preparation, your dog could spend next yearā€™s 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July celebration hanging out on his dog bed, napping or chewing on a bone. He could be okay. Neither you nor your dog need go through this ever again.
So, how can you help your dog get through fireworks? The key is to change how he feels about the loud noises. Behavior experts use the term ā€œconditioned emotional response,ā€ or CER for short, to describe the first knee-jerk reaction to a stimulus. Right now, your dogā€™s CER to noises is probably pretty awful. (ā€œOh no!,ā€ he thinks, ā€œIā€™m about to die!ā€) We need to change his CER to a happy one (ā€œOh boy, itā€™s that sound again! I wonder what wonderful thing is going to happen this time?ā€).
There are many different ways to do this, and this is where bringing an experienced, certified trainer in on your case can prove invaluable. Some dogs adore roasted chicken or blue cheese. Some really light up for tennis balls or Frisbees. Some think that training or find-it games are the best thing in the world. Whatever your dog absolutely loves will be the key to changing his association.
This is straightforward Pavlov stuff. Pavlovā€™s dogs started to drool when they heard him ring the bell because the bell always predicted dinner. They had a positive response to the sound of the bell because it had become associated with pleasant things. You can do the same thing with thunder, fireworks, whistles, or any other noise that freaks your dog out.
The steps are simple. First of all, figure out your dogā€™s absolute favorite thing. Pull out all the stops. If your dog is most motivated by food, donā€™t try to get by with dry commercial dog treats. Pull out tuna fish or peanut butter. If your dog likes balls, get a special new Cuz or Air Kong ball that only comes out for this training. The more powerful a punch your chosen motivator packs, the faster you can change your dogā€™s opinion about the scary stuff. Go big or go home.
Once you know what makes your dog tick, you could just wait for it to thunder or for a firework to boom. Or you can make this much easier by buying a special CD that has these noises recorded, which you can play at low volume at first (so quietly that you can barely hear it). After the scary noise starts but within 1-2 seconds of it beginning, present your dogā€™s favorite thing. Throw his new, special ball. Hand him a big hunk of roasted chicken. Whatever floats his boat.
The key here is the order in which these things happen. The scary noise has to predict something good. If they happen simultaneously (or worse yet, if you present the good thing before the noise), this wonā€™t work. We need the scariness to be predictive of wonderful things.
Over time, you should notice your dogā€™s reaction to the noise change. Instead of cringing or looking worried, heā€™ll begin to perk up when he hears the noise, looking around for his food or toy. When this happens, you can begin turning the volume on your CD up, until eventually even the loudest crashes cause your dog to get wiggly and happy in anticipation of something wonderful. You can do the same thing during actual thunderstorms or fireworks. Wait for the thunder to boom or the firework to crackle, then present your dog with his special prize.
Once your dog is pretty happy about even noisy booms, you can begin to fade the treats or toy. Instead of presenting it after every crash, begin presenting it more occasionally (perhaps skipping the 3am thunderstorms at first and concentrating on those that happen at more reasonable hours, for example). Donā€™t stop giving special prizes altogether, but decrease their frequency. You can also do this same exercise with new puppies or adult dogs to prevent them from developing noise issues in the first place.
Of course, this assumes that your dog isnā€™t so far gone that he refuses his favorite things. Some dogs are so terrified that they can no longer eat or play. If this is the case for your dog, thereā€™s still hope. First of all, itā€™s absolutely vital that you work with both a trainer and your veterinarian. Fear this intense can be fatal! Donā€™t hesitate to get your dog relief. Modern short-acting anxiety medications(never acepromazine), can be given as needed to cut through your dogā€™s anxiety without knocking him out or inhibiting his ability to learn. This is important, because it means that we can use them to start changing your dogā€™s associations. In many cases of noise phobia, these medications are used temporarily, then phased out once the dog is no longer showing any concern over the noise.
The take-home message is simple. Stop managing your dogā€™s terror, and work with a good trainer to solve it instead. If youā€™re in the Rochester or Twin Cities area, contact us about getting started right away. You and your dog will both be much happier, and maybe you can even start to enjoy the fireworks instead of cursing them on Facebook!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just found a really good article about helping our little guys and girls handle fireworks and thunderstorms better

Stop bemoaning your dogā€™s firework phobiaā€¦
and start fixing it instead.

Itā€™s that time of year. People in the US have been celebrating Independence Day in a big way, and my Facebook news feed is flooded with angry posts from the owners of terrified dogs complaining about their neighbors and cities. Nothing inspires quite so much helplessness and rage as watching your dog squeeze himself under the toilet or bed, trembling and drooling, for the fifth day in a row.
Advice on these threads mainly focuses on management: thundershirts,pheromone therapy, aromatherapy, exercise, melatonin, and white noise are all common suggestions. And these things have their place in any good treatment plan for noise-phobic dogs.
Most of the best-intentioned advice continues to miss the point, though. Hereā€™s the thing: noise phobias are treatable. Your dog does not have to continue to suffer.
Take a moment to truly think about this. With just a little bit of training and preparation, your dog could spend next yearā€™s 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July celebration hanging out on his dog bed, napping or chewing on a bone. He could be okay. Neither you nor your dog need go through this ever again.
So, how can you help your dog get through fireworks? The key is to change how he feels about the loud noises. Behavior experts use the term ā€œconditioned emotional response,ā€ or CER for short, to describe the first knee-jerk reaction to a stimulus. Right now, your dogā€™s CER to noises is probably pretty awful. (ā€œOh no!,ā€ he thinks, ā€œIā€™m about to die!ā€) We need to change his CER to a happy one (ā€œOh boy, itā€™s that sound again! I wonder what wonderful thing is going to happen this time?ā€).
There are many different ways to do this, and this is where bringing an experienced, certified trainer in on your case can prove invaluable. Some dogs adore roasted chicken or blue cheese. Some really light up for tennis balls or Frisbees. Some think that training or find-it games are the best thing in the world. Whatever your dog absolutely loves will be the key to changing his association.
This is straightforward Pavlov stuff. Pavlovā€™s dogs started to drool when they heard him ring the bell because the bell always predicted dinner. They had a positive response to the sound of the bell because it had become associated with pleasant things. You can do the same thing with thunder, fireworks, whistles, or any other noise that freaks your dog out.
The steps are simple. First of all, figure out your dogā€™s absolute favorite thing. Pull out all the stops. If your dog is most motivated by food, donā€™t try to get by with dry commercial dog treats. Pull out tuna fish or peanut butter. If your dog likes balls, get a special new Cuz or Air Kong ball that only comes out for this training. The more powerful a punch your chosen motivator packs, the faster you can change your dogā€™s opinion about the scary stuff. Go big or go home.
Once you know what makes your dog tick, you could just wait for it to thunder or for a firework to boom. Or you can make this much easier by buying a special CD that has these noises recorded, which you can play at low volume at first (so quietly that you can barely hear it). After the scary noise starts but within 1-2 seconds of it beginning, present your dogā€™s favorite thing. Throw his new, special ball. Hand him a big hunk of roasted chicken. Whatever floats his boat.
The key here is the order in which these things happen. The scary noise has to predict something good. If they happen simultaneously (or worse yet, if you present the good thing before the noise), this wonā€™t work. We need the scariness to be predictive of wonderful things.
Over time, you should notice your dogā€™s reaction to the noise change. Instead of cringing or looking worried, heā€™ll begin to perk up when he hears the noise, looking around for his food or toy. When this happens, you can begin turning the volume on your CD up, until eventually even the loudest crashes cause your dog to get wiggly and happy in anticipation of something wonderful. You can do the same thing during actual thunderstorms or fireworks. Wait for the thunder to boom or the firework to crackle, then present your dog with his special prize.
Once your dog is pretty happy about even noisy booms, you can begin to fade the treats or toy. Instead of presenting it after every crash, begin presenting it more occasionally (perhaps skipping the 3am thunderstorms at first and concentrating on those that happen at more reasonable hours, for example). Donā€™t stop giving special prizes altogether, but decrease their frequency. You can also do this same exercise with new puppies or adult dogs to prevent them from developing noise issues in the first place.
Of course, this assumes that your dog isnā€™t so far gone that he refuses his favorite things. Some dogs are so terrified that they can no longer eat or play. If this is the case for your dog, thereā€™s still hope. First of all, itā€™s absolutely vital that you work with both a trainer and your veterinarian. Fear this intense can be fatal! Donā€™t hesitate to get your dog relief. Modern short-acting anxiety medications(never acepromazine), can be given as needed to cut through your dogā€™s anxiety without knocking him out or inhibiting his ability to learn. This is important, because it means that we can use them to start changing your dogā€™s associations. In many cases of noise phobia, these medications are used temporarily, then phased out once the dog is no longer showing any concern over the noise.
The take-home message is simple. Stop managing your dogā€™s terror, and work with a good trainer to solve it instead. If youā€™re in the Rochester or Twin Cities area, contact us about getting started right away. You and your dog will both be much happier, and maybe you can even start to enjoy the fireworks instead of cursing them on Facebook!

Awesome read. Best line "Stop managing your dogā€™s terror, and work with a good trainer to solve it instead.". :please:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.