Kmb470

Jun 25, 2013
Philadelphia, Pa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hey everyone!

So I had a question I'd like anyone's advice on. Tomorrow, which is great cause its the 4th, our new puppy Bruno will be arriving and we still need to find the little guy a home! I was going to go with a 36in lifestages crate for him, but its on backorder on Amazon. Since then, I came across the Potty Training Puppy Apartment and was intrigued basses on Lauren and My work schedules.

Now, while in theory it seems like an awesome concept, I'm kind of curious on people's thoughts. Does it work, is it detrimental to his development, is it a waste, etc?

While we do work basic 9-5s (me as a corporate professional and her as a teacher) I can probably go in at 9 and come home at lunch with only a 20 minute subway commute. (For those wondering, laur does have summers off, but will be outta town for the next week and a half starting Monday). He was supposed to be hear Tuesday and I took the whole week off!

I'm wondering, do we try the puppy apartment, or do we go traditional crate training and have me swing by for the time Lauren is gone? I expect the dog to have free roam when he's old enough, but for now I want to make sure he's trained right but still happy and comfortable!

I haven't even met him yet but I already love him more than I probably will love my first child! (I'm kidding, I think, but I'm that excited!)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SugarBuggerBear

Apr 12, 2013
Hinesville, Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sugar
Congrats on your new addition. You will love being a bulldog Dad. I can't give any advice on the apartment situation cause Sugar is 5 and spends her day on her own leather sectional in the den. LOL Good Luck. This forum is great and will help you in many ways with your new boy.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I don't know about the "apartment" but I can tell you that I got Dudley when he was 8 weeks old (he's 2 1/2 now) -- on a Saturday. I got a crate straight off and I went to work on Monday -- terrified. I ran home at lunch time and let him out. I was at a large bank and worked from 7:30 until about 6 or so. He was GREAT. Honestly -- with the crate -- no accidents. He actually had very few accidents at all -- and those were all my fault for ignoring the signals. I actually hated the crate and thought of it as a prison, but I did it and I'm so glad. He slept in it at night -- sometimes still does, but now I just keep the door open. It's his safe, don't bother me place. If you can get home at lunchtime....I think he'll do fine with a crate. The apartment thing might be great, but I've never seen it. Best wishes from me and Dudley!:heartsign:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
All I can say is that if I had had the puppy apartment with Linus .. he would have taken the puppy pad and tried to eat it! We did the big crate thing and put his bed in one half and the puppy pad in the other half and he still dragged the puppy pad onto his bed and played with it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.