Training, still, my two puppies...thought I'd share

KentuckyBully

Jun 28, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey and Minnie
Hello! I'm new and I saw this section on training. We have two bully puppies who are now 6.5 and 9 months old and I've had my dunce hat on a lot. But, I've had help and was able to ask questions, etc. it has been almost 15 years since we've had a puppy and we were truly dumb dog owners then so I was determined to do it right this time. Things were put off when Minnie had surgery at 15 weeks (3 days after we got her) but that didn't matter. I found out bully puppies are eager to learn and please and will work for FOOD. I enrolled Minnie in a positive puppy training class using the clicker. We got Mickey right before the first class started, but it was full so he couldn't go so we worked with him at home teaching him the skills. They both took to the clicker right off and loved the positive reward. The training center also has free puppy socials weekly and I took them there until they go too big. (About 8-9 weeks each) I cannot tell you how much this did for their development. We are still working on their socialization by taking them places as much as we can. They both can do basic commands (sit, lie down, go to bed, recall, loose leash walking). We also work on grooming (nail trimming, brushing). The best invention is the kong or anything that will keep their mind busy in the crate. I'm certainly not an expert, but clicker training was new and so was the socialization part. They were also introduced to a lot of different sounds and objects at puppy social so we try to do that at home. So far, I don't think the 4th will be an issue as they do not startle.

If you all want to know anything else let me know. What I can say is this breed is highly motivated to please and loved to eat! Ha.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Wonderful!!!! There's a gal on Youtube that trains dogs using the clicker. I love to watch her amazing tales of pound rescues who are now superstars. Her screen name is KIKOPUP. I bet you can pick up some ideas there for more tricks to teach. :-)

Bea and shake and Bo can "high five" and that's about it here. LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great info -- thanks for sharing. So many techniques to train our babies it helps to have people with experience

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online