Winston is regressing in crate training

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston is 11 wks and has been doing great with crate training other than an occasional slip in peeing on the floor. Tuesday we were on a walk and I was talking to another person and found he had a dead baby bird in his mouth. I tried yanking it out but only got a few feathers (and a light stomach) from the smell.

He seemed fine for the next day or so but Thursday and yesterday he had diarrhea. I called the vet and they said as long as he's not vomiting try a bland dirt of rice and a boiled meat product. I started that today after giving him his regular kibble (Fromm since 1st day I got him) with a spoonful of pumpkin. He had a couple of regular poops sporadically between Thursday and today but still some loose stools.

Problem is now he is going in his crate. Before he may have peed once or twice in there but never pooped. Now it's been 3 times today and I have let him out numerous times to do business. Normally he goes pee, collects his great and high praise and then scopes a spot out for number 2. Lately he hasn't been doing much of either.

My only thought now is to get some enzyme cleaner to thoroughly clean that crate pan. Out of ideas otherwise as to why he's going backwards

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Do you think he is feeling 100% better? If so and he is just going to go..I would go back to step one..Take him out more. Every hour and after eating and playing, just like when he was new. Also, is the crate only big enough for him to stand and turn around? NO EXTRA ROOM! They often slip backwards, but usually that's about 6 months of age. His seems more like a reaction to being sick and now it can become a habit. He is still very young and he will figure it all out. I am thinking he is still not feeling normal though..

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
He plays and eats as if nothing happened. When we got him from the breeder he only ever needed to go out at night before bed and like 6 am. He was already started in crate training with them. I've been bringing him out after naps play and eating like I always have been.

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Ok so following the bland diet which he's still on, do I need to slowly go back into his kibble or can I just switch right away?

His stools are firming up just like we wanted and after a another serving I think I'd like to put him back on the kibble

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok so following the bland diet which he's still on, do I need to slowly go back into his kibble or can I just switch right away?

His stools are firming up just like we wanted and after a another serving I think I'd like to put him back on the kibble

I would leave him on bland diet for 4 or 5 days ..then you slowly reintroduce his kibble..1/4 cup at a time..replacing 1/4 cup of the bland diet. If he starts to get loose stools again..hold the kibble back a few more days.

How is he doing with going poo in crate? Any better?

Last edited:
OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Yep he hasn't gone in the crate since. I think the problem was he couldn't hold it. He had that sad dog look on him when I would come in and immediately look down

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jakeisgreat has you covered.... just wanted to wish you luck.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.