Cant Control My Dog...HELP!

Hoganmcbean

Jun 7, 2013
Kelowna, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hogan
Whenever I take my dog for a walk or bring him inside after being taken out, he randomly starts freaking out. Jumping up and grabbing his leash, jumping up and snapping at me, biting my feet, growling and uncontrollable. I try to turn my back to him but when i start walking again he begins doing it again. I try to pin him down and get control but he squirms around and snaps at my hands. Today he got out of his harness it was so bad. I get so frustrated and scared it makes me want to cry. Its like hes attacking me but for fun, but it hurts cause hes biting at me and looks angry. Besides this he is the most friendly loving dog there is. Its like a demon comes out in him. Please help me! I dont know what else to do. Oh, he also has a hard time listening to us when he jumps up on people. We tell him no and say get down every time but it does not stop him. Hope someone has some suggestions!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Don't let him do that. LoL. Actually I think this is normal puppy behavior to a degree. He is feeling his oats. trying to exercise his will and playing all at the same time. Ace would balk too when he was a puppy and the first times I walked him on leash. Doing many of the things your pup is doing and of course falling down and balking. I would stand him back up and coax him along, a few feet at the time, and would use treats too to coax him along. Then when he goes on the crazy tantrum, stand him back up and by that I don't mean pull on the leash I mean actually stand him up with your hands then lead him along with praise and coaxing and a treat. He will get the hang of it in no time. Try to work with a little slack in the leash as you coax him along. A taut leash and the natural reaction of the pup is to pull against it

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Whenever I take my dog for a walk or bring him inside after being taken out, he randomly starts freaking out. Jumping up and grabbing his leash, jumping up and snapping at me, biting my feet, growling and uncontrollable. I try to turn my back to him but when i start walking again he begins doing it again. I try to pin him down and get control but he squirms around and snaps at my hands. Today he got out of his harness it was so bad. I get so frustrated and scared it makes me want to cry. Its like hes attacking me but for fun, but it hurts cause hes biting at me and looks angry. Besides this he is the most friendly loving dog there is. Its like a demon comes out in him. Please help me! I dont know what else to do. Oh, he also has a hard time listening to us when he jumps up on people. We tell him no and say get down every time but it does not stop him. Hope someone has some suggestions!

Hi Emily! How old is Hogan?

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey started doing that also about 4 months of age. We left the leash on him, but let him drag it rather than my holding onto him (of course, only in a place where there was no danger of cars, bikes, etc.) When we let him "free", he stopped biting the leash.We also brought treats along to toss in front of us, and he loved running to get them. As we approached a road, or danger zone, I could pick up the leash and he was calm, which was rewarded with praise and more treats! Every once in awhile, this behavior surfaces, and it is either because he is tired and has had enough walking, or he just needs to have treats tossed to distract from the leash. Hope this helps! How old is your bully?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How about some good, basic training for him? Check training at your local pet stores or if you can find a good private trainer,even better. That's where I would start.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I let my Bullys train themselves, I would give them guidlines to follow, like if one was being nasty I would say "Hey Thats enough and never made a big deal about anything they did, Both of mine know right from wrong and I never have to get after them. I am so blessed to have Bullys that understand whats expected of them.And whats just as important is they know what to except from me and we all get along so well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.