Urgent! ?*$#%!!! Biting!!!

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Hi there, 11 week old EB biting my heels oh and my toddlers... and my husband's! I know he's a baby but it seriously hurts. He gets our legs, toes, etc. Even pulled my toddlers shorts down like the image you see in Coppertone Baby ads!! My daughter is afraid of him... it's not all his fault either - she's timid. Every time we play with him he bites our hands... is this normal? I bought apple bitter stuff and it seems to work... but I would rather not use it all the time. I haven't tried the penny jar yet mostly bc I don't want to scare/wake my toddler. I love our family's new addition but need help!Thanks so much! Alicia

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
have a variety of textured toys laying around and everytime puppy goes to bite (because they are teething) put a toy in pups mouth . this is normal behavior, sorry :whistle:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes it's normal ... welcome to puppy-hood!!! It doesn't feel like it now but it does get better - I promise!!! I will tag [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] who I know both had to deal with shark-toothed bully pups!!!

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Yes it's normal ... welcome to puppy-hood!!! It doesn't feel like it now but it does get better - I promise!!! I will tag @desertskybulldogs and @Lucy-licious who I know both had to deal with shark-toothed bully pups!!!

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

have a variety of textured toys laying around and everytime puppy goes to bite (because they are teething) put a toy in pups mouth . this is normal behavior, sorry :whistle:

Thank you :eek:)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I believe 99.9% of us on this site have gone through exactly what you are going through now ... and we are all still alive to tell the tale .... so it does get better!!!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
It will end. Give your toddler toys to give to the puppy and try to make it fun for her so she won't be scared. Wet wash cloths, fold them up and freeze them. Give them to the puppy to chew on. The cold will feel good on the gums. Ice cubes will work also they are just messier.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to puppy hood, that's what they do, is bite and play, so get used to it, and before you know it it will be over and you will miss puppy hood. Just keep chew toys handy and when he bites you just tell him "no" and give a chew toy. When pups get tired they start playing rough, and crazy, just like skin kids do, so it's time for a nap. right now I would limit his play time to not over 45 minutes, then it's time for a rest and a little nap. Just be patient, it will pass. Here is a letter from your puppy.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?543-I-Am-Your-Puppy

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Hate to say it and obviously I don't mean it cuz they are so cute, but Bullie pups are really horrible about biting, drawing blood, inflicting pain and being just plain horrible.
There, I said it.

But soon enough, they turn this magic corner and become sweeter and nicer than any dog you ever had.
It's happening now with Walley-Bubba and thank God because I have no doubt the vet Leidecker is planning something equally horrible for him if he doen't behave!

Seriously though, they are very strong willed dogs and they seem to require an equally strong, almost brutal, alpa male or female.
Who is the master, you or the bullie? Obviously you are...all things come from you...let him know it at every opportunity and eventually he will get it!

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Recently we had another thread about this where @mer55 related that she noticed her pup was a lot more bitey when he was tired. I realized from that response that Amelia also was a lot worse when she was tired too. So for a couple weeks every time she would bite she would go in time out. I also would cup her chin with my hand and tell her NO BITE right after each bite and while taking her to her crate for time out. Usually she would be asleep within a couple minutes.

Sometimes when it was apparent she wasn't tired and would start to bite I'd put a toy in her mouth. (I made sure to have them right with us all the time.) As suggested here too.

I also noticed she would try to bite more when it was time for her to eat too. And I don't know if all puppies are this way, but she has always been amazing when it comes to hand feeding. Whenever I offer her kibble she has always gently taken it from my hand. So if your puppy will hand feed gently you can also use that as a tool to teach him to mouth gently instead of bite.

Now at 16 weeks of age Amy has virtually stopped biting us at all. She licks and gently "mouths" occasionally but she doesn't bite us humans anyway.
She still bites HRH when they are playing excitedly. (I'm working on that one) But she has virtually stopped biting Bruce and me.

Last edited:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh the joys of having a puppy and a toddler. I have been there and I feel your pain! It will get better though :)

L

Lucy-licious

Aww hunny....I see everyone left you lots of advise. The only thing I can add is to maybe get a playpen to put him in while your little girl is running around playing. Let them be in the same room but on safe sides of a pen.....this will help her get used to him without him nipping her ankles. She doesn't understand he'll grow out if it yet so best, just for now, to let her feel safe in his presence. The times when you do let him out with her, supervise their playtime and teach her how to play with him safely. No excited running around just sitting with a toy and mummy or daddy. Helping to train him and rewarding him xx

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
For Bea, the ultimate price was an ABRUPT END to playtime. Bea was a rabid shark as a pup. Terrible. At one point, I put bitter apple on my hands even. She grew out of it eventually and I'm sure that had everything to do with teething being over. Think of a screaming toddler. Them baby teefs coming thru must HURT like HELL!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Have to chime in on this one!! It's a tough stage! Bogey was the pits! I didn't wear shorts or short sleeved shirts for months because of all the bite marks!! We tried all the standard discipline measures: coins in a can, spray bottle, submission, and distraction. Some worked a short time, some not at all. Isolation was the ONLY thing that seemed to get his attention! Like [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION], abrupt end to playtime and into his crate for a time out was an immediate deterrent to bad behavior. I NEVER let him out if he whined. Only when he calmed down and sat quietly was he paroled! He usually fell asleep, and when he woke, he was a gentle loving pup. LOTS of praise for gentle kisses!! You may have to really guard your toddler during playtime, and separate them when you can't watch every move. When you see good behavior, there can't be enough praise!! The key is catching them in the act, and going with it!! As I said before, it is a tough stage, but itDOES go away!! Hang in there, and stick with consistency, routine, and gentle firmness. There is a gentle, loving bulldog under that shark skin!! Good luck!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice from everyone, especially Lari. I did the exact same things as her, and I found that whenever my two guys nipped us or my Grandson, I would also cup my hand around their mouth and firmly say no bite. You can also say Ouch, or Ow or some other word loudly to let them know that their bite hurts. And also redirecting them with a chew toy. I also started with my guys from the day I got them to put the outside part of my hand inside their mouth, to give and take food, toys, and objects they would pick up or eat, and take them out of their mouth. When they were eating, I would take away their food while they were eating, and then give it back, so they would get used to this, and not bite or growl if someone would take or touch their food. Now at 16 months, they will both sit and wait for food, they will gently take food or treats from you, and my 5 year old Grandson as well. I also played with their ears, and cut their nails, and brushed them, and brushed their teeth. If you start these things from the beginning, and from an early age, then they become used to it all, and you'll be able to do pretty much anything to them, and they won't mind. Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online