mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I have just signed Mayhem up for obedience training classes. I currently am using a grain free chewy treat for his potty training rewards, peanut butter and carrots in his Kong, etc. However, he is not super motivated by food. He is proving very stubborn, regarding the come command (he has selective hearing :)). The instructor asked me to to do some trial and error and find a treat that he loves for this particular command to use during our training sessions. I am looking for any suggestions for healthy treats that your dogs love. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We give our guys treats like fruits and vegetables, bananas, apple, carrot, etc yogurt, green beans, but these are supplements to their food, but when we are training them or want them to do something we usually just use a few pieces of their kibble as a reward.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I cook chicken hearts, gizzards or pigs tongue for training treats and they love them!!! And they improve their hearing like nothing else...

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
cheese sticks is what our trainer used and so we are using also in training obedience. Ace is highly food motivated so most anything would work but the maltese is as finicky as they get but the cheese sticks work for the maltese too. Just cut the sticks into several small pieces.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I cook chicken hearts, gizzards or pigs tongue for training treats and they love them!!! And they improve their hearing like nothing else...

HAHA!! I never thought of pig tongues!!!:2thumbs: Buster would LOVE those! I'm going to go get some right now. We used Hebrew National Kosher Beef Hot Dogs split into little pieces when he was in class and loved them until the one class i gave him one to many and he poo'd right in the middle of a big test. Super embarrassing but they did work well.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
To make them last a bit longer a usually dry them after cooking. Without drying they're only good for a couple of days.
I boil them for two hours, chop to pieces and put them in the owen for over the night at about 120F. Sounds like a lot of work, but I make a lot at once and what matters for me more is that I really know what's in them. Now recalls yet....

HAHA!! I never thought of pig tongues!!!:2thumbs: Buster would LOVE those! I'm going to go get some right now. We used Hebrew National Kosher Beef Hot Dogs split into little pieces when he was in class and loved them until the one class i gave him one to many and he poo'd right in the middle of a big test. Super embarrassing but they did work well.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The brand "PET N SHAPE" has some freeze dried treats that are 100% fruit / vegetable. Read the label - they have chicken liver ones too -- don't get those. (Been there, done that: hives) Bea and Bo LOVE the Banana/Apple and the Sweet Potato something or other. The only thing higher value than these treats -- to them -- is a hotdog. Yeah. They're that good. :yes: Perfect size for treating too; they're tiny little squares.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What worked great for Banks and Nitschke was 'Real Meats' -- 100% meat -made in USA and you can easily break them
attachment.php

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Stewart Freeze Dried Beef Liver Dog Treat http://www.amazon.com/Stewart-Freeze-Dried-Treats-Liver/dp/B0002DGRSY

Great for dog training class!

We give our guys treats like fruits and vegetables, bananas, apple, carrot, etc yogurt, green beans, but these are supplements to their food, but when we are training them or want them to do something we usually just use a few pieces of their kibble as a reward.

cheese sticks is what our trainer used and so we are using also in training obedience. Ace is highly food motivated so most anything would work but the maltese is as finicky as they get but the cheese sticks work for the maltese too. Just cut the sticks into several small pieces.

To make them last a bit longer a usually dry them after cooking. Without drying they're only good for a couple of days.
I boil them for two hours, chop to pieces and put them in the owen for over the night at about 120F. Sounds like a lot of work, but I make a lot at once and what matters for me more is that I really know what's in them. Now recalls yet....

The brand "PET N SHAPE" has some freeze dried treats that are 100% fruit / vegetable. Read the label - they have chicken liver ones too -- don't get those. (Been there, done that: hives) Bea and Bo LOVE the Banana/Apple and the Sweet Potato something or other. The only thing higher value than these treats -- to them -- is a hotdog. Yeah. They're that good. :yes: Perfect size for treating too; they're tiny little squares.

What worked great for Banks and Nitschke was 'Real Meats' -- 100% meat -made in USA and you can easily break them
attachment.php

Thank you all for your recommendations! These will give me something to start testing with and learn what his "super reward" will be. Thanks again!!!!!!

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Natures variety makes one called raw boost bites, all natural freeze dried, beef, chicken, lamb and venison. I use lamb and venison.
I also use Omega treats, all natural as well, either the salmon or duck.
I found some all natural dehydrated chicken jerky. She loooves it, we use it on our walks and aggression redirection.
Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.