Duke pees when excited to see people.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Any advice guys? Duke pizzles a little when he gets excited to see people. I had a dog growing up that did this and we were never able to break the habbit. Anyone got any advice to try to break this habbit ? I been getting a treat and making him focus his attention on that when I first come home or in the mornings when I take him out of his crate. It seems to work about half the time. Any other suggestions? I sure would hate for him not to break this habbit. BTW he's doing much better on potty training! Never goes #2 in house and never has and might have a pee accident maybe once in a day. Not including when he gets excited when I get home.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Emma did this too and she outgrew it around 6 months, maybe 8. But by 8 it had really dwindle. I would try not to let Emma get too excited and that seemed to help a bit.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Luca still does this at 9 months old. He just gets so excited when he sees people he knows. We have started callin him R. Kelly.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Luca still does this at 9 months old. He just gets so excited when he sees people he knows. We have started callin him R. Kelly.

:rofl:

When we first got Punks, he would do the excited pee too, and he was 4 years old! Now it doesn't happen anymore. Thinking its because he's used to seeing new and wonderful people now since we take the boys to a lot of places.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2 :D

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie still does this and she's a little over a year old. It's usually only with new people though. Once she knows you, she seems fine. We try to take her to potty before we go on a walk or before company comes over if we know she could be meeting someone new. Empty bladder = no happy pee = no mess to clean up.:2thumbs:

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Cocker Spaniels usually never do, but I don't have an issue with the boys, guessing because their so social and always meeting new people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
No Touch. No Talk. No Eye Contact. Try it. Wait and greet your dog when he's outside in the yard and has emptied the bladder.

Also, your pup can surely feel your anxiety at "waiting for the fountain" to start. Try to be calm when you come in the house and ignore the dog completely.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
No Touch. No Talk. No Eye Contact. Try it. Wait and greet your dog when he's outside in the yard and has emptied the bladder.

Also, your pup can surely feel your anxiety at "waiting for the fountain" to start. Try to be calm when you come in the house and ignore the dog completely.

I do that. It's even in the mornings when I wake up I completely ignore him , grab his leash open his crate door & he turns on the fountain. I've been distracting him with a treat that seems to be working. Hopefully it's just a phase- he only does it with me and my girlfriend,

- - - Updated - - -

I do that. It's even in the mornings when I wake up I completely ignore him , grab his leash open his crate door & he turns on the fountain. I've been distracting him with a treat that seems to be working. Hopefully it's just a phase- he only does it with me and my girlfriend,

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
My dog walkers come in 3-4 times a day and they said he never does it when they come to get him.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My dog walkers come in 3-4 times a day and they said he never does it when they come to get him.

That's really interesting! Wow. Goodness. I hope you does grow out of that like others have suggested.

That No Touch. No Talk. No Eye Contact. is my stock answer for anything were excitability is an issue. Works like a charm on mine. Particularly with strangers; they think everyone who comes along in their new best friend. Thank goodness most folks are cooperative.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur

When I was young, one of our Westies would do this when I would come home to visit from University. He never ever grew out of it, and only did it with me.

Wilbur does it too - I don't know if he will grow out of it as he is already 2, and the thing is he only does when our good friend Eric comes over. He just pisses all over the place and looks up adoringly at Eric! I am both jealous and mystified, seeing as it only seems to be Eric who brings this out in him.
I have to admit that Eric is a total Alpha Male (he is a Sgt, he is hardcore!). I nearly pee when he comes in LOL!!!!! I know this is 100% submissive peeing.... just wish I had the aura of command that Eric has!

Best of luck - keep us posted on what works for you!

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
When I was young, one of our Westies would do this when I would come home to visit from University. He never ever grew out of it, and only did it with me.

Wilbur does it too - I don't know if he will grow out of it as he is already 2, and the thing is he only does when our good friend Eric comes over. He just pisses all over the place and looks up adoringly at Eric! I am both jealous and mystified, seeing as it only seems to be Eric who brings this out in him.
I have to admit that Eric is a total Alpha Male (he is a Sgt, he is hardcore!). I nearly pee when he comes in LOL!!!!! I know this is 100% submissive peeing.... just wish I had the aura of command that Eric has!

Best of luck - keep us posted on what works for you!

hahahaja- when my walkers told me he didn't do it when they came - I started leaning towards more of a submissive pee,

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.