Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed - bone possessiveness

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno, Mya
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advice needed - bone possessiveness

Thanks for your advice Bullyproof. We get the lip curling, growling and sometimes a bark when she has the Nylabone in her mouth. It is something we have to work on, which unfortunately doesn't happen overnight.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullyproof View Post
    When you are working the exercises, move around to his sides. Dogs can feel threatened when approached head on
    Good stuff! I hadn't thought about that.

I adore what you've done with Kiah. Most folks would have given up by now (not most folks HERE --- I mean the "normies" out there in the every-dog-world LOL) but you've hung in there. I've missed you regularly sharing about Kiah and your journey together. I hope this means we'll be seeing more wisdom from you. (Please?)

Real Name
    Mike
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kiah (Kee-aah)
    Likes (Received)

@BrunosMum Be prepared for the long hall. I spend hours a day on top of our normalf routine reconditioning my trama drama mama. The key is to out smart him. Get into his head, trade up, then give the bone back a few minutes later. I would do a few sits in between. I wont just go and grab it from her, I always find a way to break her attention fron the bone. I started giving her hooves to chew on, stuffing them with peanut butter or something. Once I hear her start to crack them, I need to get the smaller pieces so she wont choke. A piece of all natural chicken jerky is all it takes. I then give her the hoof back, she will chew for a bit and once she looses interest, I put it away. Remember, everything is yours, youre just allowing her to use it. Plus it makes it that much more "special" to her once she gets it.
    @Vicaroo1000 I wont lie and say its been easy. I had my doubts sometimes too. Its really rough when friends come over. She gets very excited to see them, more than she ever does with me. Ya Im a bit jealous...lol... Its kinda rare for her to lick me and show me that super excited affection. I have to correct her alot so she doesnt claim them, they think its cute, but dont understand the true meaning. I just have to accept the fact that I am her guardian and she respects me in other ways. She doesnt listen to anyone like she does to me and she respects my space and belongings. I would like more kisses, but kisses dont mean the same to dogs as they do to us, but im sure you know that

I would be more than happy to share more about my experiences with her. I love to help people with their dogs, you should hear all the questions I get everyday, even my business clients will call, just to ask advice on what to do with their pups. I will definitely be around more, Ive actually had some free time lately since she is doing so well.
    Everyday I see an improvement. Everyday she respects and trusts me even more. I'm honored that she chose me...

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

It does sound playful BUT if you feel there is some aggression in there then you should practice taking away and giving her the bones. Because of course they r yours and not hers. Miila was possessive of toys and bones for a bit when trying to establish her place in the pack and I had to take her bones away and give them to the other pups, all while she sat and watched. Kept doing this over and over and she learned that she had to wait her turn with them. She still might do. Little nip,not bite every once n a while but def. not in an angry way.
    as for the growling when sleeping, she was startled and that is given. Growling is them talking really. My kids have fallen on cutty when sleeping and he has growled /snapped (not like to bite but like to warn) the kids. He is the mouthy one in the pack but not mean in anyway. He loves the kids and lets them bug the heck out of him.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullyproof View Post

I would be more than happy to share more about my experiences with her. I love to help people with their dogs, you should hear all the questions I get everyday, even my business clients will call, just to ask advice on what to do with their pups. I will definitely be around more, Ive actually had some free time lately since she is doing so well.
    I'm going to hold you to it. :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads