HELP! Walking Kona is a chore now

Jsaphoto

Mar 12, 2013
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Kona is now 6 months old, and she use to be a breeze to walk, now she it is almost unbearable, and frustrating. We would do daily walks before her spaying. When she was spayed of course we did not walk, and now she fights almost 75% of the walk around the block. i bring treats but that does not seem to work....HELP need any suggestions.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Maybe try a different route..go the other way. Or a car ride to the park and a short walk. You can try shorter walks too..until she gets the picture! Do you use a harness?

OP
Jsaphoto

Jsaphoto

Mar 12, 2013
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Yes I do use a harness, a "Walk your dog with love harness, another commercial brand harness, well she has 6 or 7 harnesses, what can I say, I spoil her LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah, your 'little' girl is growing in to a toddler..... like Becky said, change it up... see if that heps.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
ahhhh bulldogs...i find jameson is very particular and ocd about his walks...he won't walk in the morning unless a neighbor is out...if i get home late at night and it's dark he won't walk except to potty....but if i get home around 7-8pm then he is all about a walk...especially if the neighbors are out...but he loves to go on certain routes and he will pull to get his way...but most times walks are a no go...he likes to sit on the curb on the corner like a king and wait for the underlings to come see him

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
So glad to hear Dudley was not the only one. the neighbors used to laugh at me. I would be dragging him around the block. He walks beautifully now -- I worked with a trainer. I use a choke collar -- I hated it at first because it looked horrible, but he's so good and we have no problems. H loves his walks now. He really could not walk on the harness. Best of luck. Kona is adorable.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson was a hard one walk and there were times we would start off ok and then he'd stop and that was it. I would get quite frustrated too. I kept plugging away bribing him with treats and trying to stay calm but it wasn't always easy. One day when he was around 1.5 years, give or take, we went out again and I was thinking we'd only made it a few houses. To my utter surprise, he started trotting and we walked nearly .8th of a mile. I was shocked. I mean he was walking so fast I had to step up my pace. So be patient and keep trying and bribe with treats and if he only goes 10 feet that's ok. I also walked backwards quite a few times crouching down getting him to move toward me.....that worked really well.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some bullies just do not like to walk. Blondie refused to go on a walk. If she thought you were going to the car, she was all over it, but just to go for a walk, forget about it. Buddy hates it too, but once you get the harness on him, he will go.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
We have a "special" treat at our house that we use when we need the dogs to do something that they are not really wanting to do. They are unable to resist it so we save it for those frustrating times. Maybe you could experiment with different treats at the pet store or make treats that are "walk" treats only that are irresistible to Kona.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Persistence and patience are key here! :) I know it can be frustrating but don't give up on Kona and the walks. Changing up the route is a very good idea. I find that when I do that, the boys get very excited and are more eager to be cooperative w/the walking. You can even keep your walks short for now...even 10minutes is good, and then build up from there as Kona gets better and better w/the walking. You and Kona can do this!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Try pairing up with a neighbor who walks their dog. Make walking a social event that includes some play time.

Good idea. For a short time, I did this with Bea and the neighbor's Bishon because Bea was curious about Roxy and wanted to "keep up" with her. Now, Roxy could fly by on a rocket and she wouldn't give a rip. (She's OVER Roxy)

@Cali-baker is right: patience and persistence. Don't give up. This daily outing is important for a lot of reasons.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.