Wood Chewing

benjibabies3

May 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy and Dozer
Our EB's have been chewing on anything made out of wood. They started on our patio, we have deep gauges on the railings. Worst part is we live in military housing so we're going to have to pay for that. They also chewed on the corner of the baseboards but I was able to sand that and repaint it.
I usually close them off in their room when I go anywhere but they've been really good lately.....until today. I came home and saw that they chewed the baseboards up and a chair to my year old dining room set. The chair is beyond repair and I'm furious! They have Kongs, toys and dental sticks to chew on, why must they continue to chew on wood!?
Any suggestions on how to stop this before they eat the house away?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, the only thing I can suggest is that you crate them when you aren't home. That way they won't be able to chew on things, and they will be safe from chewing things like electrical cords, or from swallowing things that may hurt them. My two guys can't be trusted alone at all, they eat everything that's not nailed down. My male Bulldozer, has eaten wood, rocks, pinecones, socks, and paper towel. My female Blossom doesn't eat items so much and doesn't swallow things, but she will chew on things like towels, and she likes electrical cords, so I have to watch them like a hawk and supervise them at all times. When we are with them, they will listen and drop whatever they have in their mouth, when I say off, or drop it, plus they are really good about us putting our hands in their mouths to retrieve stuff, and they never bite us. So I'm able to take pinecones and rocks from their mouth. Good luck. If come to the conclusion Bulldogs are part billy goats, and will pretty much eat everything, and anything. Lol

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
I swear Lulu is part beaver! I will have to take a picture of the damage she did to a tree in our back yard. She always gnawing on a piece of firewood. We just leave her...guess she needs a tad more fiber in her diet!

We sing:

How much wood could a Bully chuck if a Bully could chuck wood.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..crate them. They will eat anything! And it's really the only way to keep them safe..or at the very least...get an Xpen and partition off a bully safe area. Sorry about the chair...but it could've been an electrical cord...happened to one of our Bully's! [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with everyone else, crate them when you are gone. A couple of ours went through the wood chewing stage and finally grew out of it.

Wee Angus

Apr 1, 2013
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
I have had the same problem. Angus chews on baseboards, and funrature as well. I tried bitter spray for dogs but it didn't stop him, then my K-9 police officer, next door neighbor gave me some pepper spray. I pepper sprayed the baseboards and he hasn't chewed them since. Just be sure to spray them with everyone safely out of the house and with all windows open. Good luck.

Wee Angus

Apr 1, 2013
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
I have had the same problem. Angus chews on baseboards, and funrature as well. I tried bitter spray for dogs but it didn't stop him, then my K-9 police officer, next door neighbor gave me some pepper spray. I pepper sprayed the baseboards and he hasn't chewed them since. Just be sure to spray them with everyone safely out of the house and with all windows open. Good luck.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Our EB's have been chewing on anything made out of wood. They started on our patio, we have deep gauges on the railings. Worst part is we live in military housing so we're going to have to pay for that. They also chewed on the corner of the baseboards but I was able to sand that and repaint it.
I usually close them off in their room when I go anywhere but they've been really good lately.....until today. I came home and saw that they chewed the baseboards up and a chair to my year old dining room set. The chair is beyond repair and I'm furious! They have Kongs, toys and dental sticks to chew on, why must they continue to chew on wood!?
Any suggestions on how to stop this before they eat the house away?

A good pup is a tired pup. Before you leave the house, make sure they've had some exercise and before you crate them.

Bea was very beaver-like as a puppy. She was also very dominant and didn't like being redirected either. She learned what was acceptable and what was not but not until she had wrought considerable damage grandma's kitchen table that -- coincidentally -- I completely hated anyway. By the time the new table arrived, she had gotten thru teething.

Good job, Little Beatrice. :heart:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.