Help Needed! Sleeping Through the Night

Jun 19, 2013
New to the board with a new bulldog puppy, Windsor. He is nearly 4 months old and I wasn't prepared (or more accurately the breeder said he was sleeping through the night) to be getting up between 1 and 3 times a night with him to go out.

When typically to bulldog puppies have the ability to hold it through the night? And what can I do, if anything to help this process? I don't want to limit his water in the evenings as he is typically playing a lot and we try to take nightly walks.

Beth

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Oh wow! Daisy is a little over 3 months and she has slept through the night since we brought her home at 8 weeks. Well I take that back. The first week I got up with her once a night at around 2 am. But other than that she gets up at 5 when I do and she eats and does her business and back to bed she goes. I go easy on the water later in the night. I of course dont take it away but I try to limit it. Im sorry :( Hooefully things get better!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:welcome:Buster will be 14 months next week and I think has only slept through the whole night about 10 times in his life. He isn't crated at night though. I know the older they get the better they learn how to hold it. The breeder may have had a place by the sleeping area for the little babies to do their thing during the day and in the night so they wouldn't have known.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They can only hold their bladder for 1 hour more than they are old... so, if he is 3 months old then he can only hold the bladder for 4 hours.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I had no idea great info thank you.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would crate train him if you aren't already. By 6 months of age he should hold it all night, with an occasional accident.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
It is a great guideline to follow when setting a schedule for potty training
I agree I will definitely keep this in mind if and when I get another bully.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
When Jake was a pup..I actually slept on the sofa with his crate in the same room. I tried to have his last potty time about 11..at 2 he was stirring. I just picked him up and carried him out to grass. He peed and right back in his crate. Then he was good until everyone started waking up..about 5am. It took a month and I gradually lengthened the time until he went from 11-5. It wasn't more than 6 weeks. A lot like with a human baby...

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Mayhem is crate trained. Up until he was about 12 weeks, we took him out once during the night (around 2:00). At 12 weeks he began sleeping through the night and doesn't have any accidents in his crate. We started off at 12 weeks being in the crate from about 11:00 until 5:30, now at 15 weeks, he is good until around 7:00 if we decide to sleep in a little on the weekends.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.