Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Hi,

My daughter has a book, Go Dog Go, hence the title. I'm watching Cesar Millan on Netflix. He advises parents to make their dogs "work" in the am, before petting & loving. Is this true? Also, the episode I watched said you should walk the dog for 40 mins a day, but they were talking about Rottweiler pups so I know that it must be diff for bulldog pups. Here are my questions:

1.) What constitutes as "work" for EBs?
2.) How much exercise should they get? (He's 10 weeks and we're in RI where it gets pretty warm in the summer (80+deg)

Thank you in advance!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi,

My daughter has a book, Go Dog Go, hence the title. I'm watching Cesar Millan on Netflix. He advises parents to make their dogs "work" in the am, before petting & loving. Is this true? Also, the episode I watched said you should walk the dog for 40 mins a day, but they were talking about Rottweiler pups so I know that it must be diff for bulldog pups. Here are my questions:

2.) How much exercise should they get? (He's 10 weeks and we're in RI where it gets pretty warm in the summer (80+deg)

Thank you in advance!

I think work for a bulldog in the a.m. would be waking up and coming into the room for breakfast :D

I think weather permitting you should walk your dog a little every day. In the summer time as so many people have said lately you really have to be careful with them because they can over heat so quickly.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's about all the work ours do too, is wake up, go potty and eat. :) usually if you have a problem bully then you will make them work for everything, food, affection, and so on. But ours do pretty well so they do not have to work for anything. As far as exercise, they don't require much. We don't walk our hardly ever, except the one's we may show, so we will work with them. The others will get exercise playing in the house and if it's not too hot outside they play out for a little while.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
At our house Bully work is sit, stay, leave it, jump in the crate in the car....and they always expect to be paid for working, a kibble or a pet with praise! Our daily walks are for fun and socializing!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:blink: Bulldog's , bulldogs? hmmmmm they work for attention and lots of it. well, they need the attention really, high maintenance in almost every way, a puppy should never be tired to exhaustion, and the adult tires very easily. short spurts will suit them well. overheating will hurt them. it's difficult to go by a book that isn't bulldog specific. IMO

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hi,

Thank you in advance!

Work is anything that makes a dog actively participate in the activity. Don't think about work in a formal sense. Think about an activity that you control.

In the most formal sense, Bo has a backpack that he wears sometimes when we go for cool, morning walks. He carries two bottles of water. For Bo, that backpack really is "work" because it forces him to think about what he's doing out on the walk. Bea seems to enjoy Bo wearing the backpack because it slows him down a bit. She's always trying to keep up with Mr. Long Legs. Bo also used to pull a wagon -- with my help -- that Bea rode in. Bea broke the wagon so we are going to get a new, more heavy duty one. :D

Work can be anything though. We were at the beach yesterday and work for Bea and Bo was sitting quietly and chewing a stick while I had a cigarette and sat on some driftwood. Bo thinks he's a mountain goat (he likes to climb the driftwood logs) and it really takes some effort from him to sit STILL - in ONE SPOT near me, within arms length -- and chew up a stick. (closely supervised, of course) Sitting still without a stick to chew would be even harder work for these two!

Work is also sitting quietly while the dinner dishes are put down for them. For Bo, work is waiting for the screen door to open before going out. He likes to BOLT out the door and chase "a shiny" that's created when the sun hits the glass on the screen door. This is the HARDEST work for him. Very hard. I'm sure it must use every brain cell in his giant noggin.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We found that we had to work energy out of Bacon as a pup because we work long hours. During the summer this involved playing ball with him or tug for about 10-15 indoors in the central air, some times he would take it upon himself and just tear around the house like a madman (we call him batdog when he's like that) for a few minutes then would flump to cool down. We also found at that age if he got overtired, much like a skin baby, he would get cranky and nippy so there is a fine line that we had to figure out with him. As others have said they all have different personalities so you are going to have to figure out Otto's by trial and error to a degree. I would avoid outside right now other then to do his business.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
For us.... we have had to ends of the spectrum.... Nitschke was Mr. low key, let me eat, sleep :poo: and I'll do whatever you want. Banks on the othr hand.... she is brutally head strong, so she has to 'work' for everything she gets. She is placed in a sit/stay for food, (treat or meal) and does not get anything of them till we say 'the word', on walks trained (going on 8 yrs) to stay next to or behind and she STILL strugggles with this one... she pulls in front, we stop and she has to sit. And, the big one is no pet/lovin's unless she is calm.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Work is anything that makes a dog actively participate in the activity. Don't think about work in a formal sense. Think about an activity that you control.

In the most formal sense, Bo has a backpack that he wears sometimes when we go for cool, morning walks. He carries two bottles of water. For Bo, that backpack really is "work" because it forces him to think about what he's doing out on the walk. Bea seems to enjoy Bo wearing the backpack because it slows him down a bit. She's always trying to keep up with Mr. Long Legs. Bo also used to pull a wagon -- with my help -- that Bea rode in. Bea broke the wagon so we are going to get a new, more heavy duty one. :D

Work can be anything though. We were at the beach yesterday and work for Bea and Bo was sitting quietly and chewing a stick while I had a cigarette and sat on some driftwood. Bo thinks he's a mountain goat (he likes to climb the driftwood logs) and it really takes some effort from him to sit STILL - in ONE SPOT near me, within arms length -- and chew up a stick. (closely supervised, of course) Sitting still without a stick to chew would be even harder work for these two!

Work is also sitting quietly while the dinner dishes are put down for them. For Bo, work is waiting for the screen door to open before going out. He likes to BOLT out the door and chase "a shiny" that's created when the sun hits the glass on the screen door. This is the HARDEST work for him. Very hard. I'm sure it must use every brain cell in his giant noggin.

I don`t know what it is but when I read that Bea broke the wagon I burst out laughing. I can just imagine that sweet face riding along and the load being to much for the wagon to bear. :lol::luv:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I don`t know what it is but when I read that Bea broke the wagon I burst out laughing. I can just imagine that sweet face riding along and the load being to much for the wagon to bear. :lol::luv:

LOL I want to get a new wagon but after the trauma of breaking the last one, its not going to be easy getting her INTO another wagon. I could be wrong too -- I will exorcise that thought from my mind once a new wagon is found. If I try to put her in one all nervous and worried, she WILL react for sure! LOL

The day it broke we were coming back by the recycling bins. Thank goodness we didn't have a full load from the PetPros or something. That back axle just gave way. Bea was so upset about the wagon she didn't even want to walk NEAR that broken wagon. I was going to try to get it home and see if I could fix it. So, rather than cajole Bea to walk near the clunking wagon, I just chucked the entire wagon into the metal recycling bin! And we walked home. :heart:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.