Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Hi all,

I got my bully Otto yesterday. He's 10 weeks which I think means he's in shark teeth stage because his teeth are SO SHARP. He's biting me all over the feet. I tried the "yip" but it's already lost effectiveness. I try a stern "no". He does it to my 1.5 year old so she freaks out. Any suggestions or links to another post? I know he's a pup and he needs to teethe but it seriously hurts & I want to show him that it's not acceptable. I try redirecting him but sometimes he's hell bent on it. Ignoring him seems to work best but its diff if we're outside while I'm trying to get him to go potty and my legs move to get out of his way and he thinks I'm playing. Any help would be awesome.

I'll be here sifting through older posts trying to find a solution.

Thanks!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Most of the bully's do this at that age, I know my Ace did. But they eventually get over it. A loud and sharp NO. Saying Ouch or yipping sometimes helps too. redirect as you are doing as well. An empty bottle with some pennies in it and shake sometimes get there attention. So get their attention by voice [shake bottle is an extension of voice] and physically move them from biting and give them something else to chew on. They want and need to chew on something cause they are teething and because they explore with their mouth. They like the taste and feel of their human moms and pops. It basically takes persistence, patience and willpower. Just remember its par for the course and this too shall pass. Your pup will get over it you just need persistence. Be stern but calm and in control they pick up on this. Whatever word you choose to get them to stop, stick with that word or you will just confuse them. So if its No or Stop, chose one word and stick with that word

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Italian Kids Vet recommended this squeez stick made by Kong for just this problem and it worked well kong squeezz stick italian kid 94.jpg

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
well this is normal but consistent redirecting is what you need to do. keep lots of chew toys handy and all your redirecting will essentially pay off when your puppy grows up and chews only his toys. we (Lola) loved the bacon flavored puppy chew fish from the nylabone brand. she went through two of those.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hi all,

I got my bully Otto yesterday. He's 10 weeks which I think means he's in shark teeth stage because his teeth are SO SHARP. He's biting me all over the feet. I tried the "yip" but it's already lost effectiveness. I try a stern "no". He does it to my 1.5 year old so she freaks out. Any suggestions or links to another post? I know he's a pup and he needs to teethe but it seriously hurts & I want to show him that it's not acceptable. I try redirecting him but sometimes he's hell bent on it. Ignoring him seems to work best but its diff if we're outside while I'm trying to get him to go potty and my legs move to get out of his way and he thinks I'm playing. Any help would be awesome.

I'll be here sifting through older posts trying to find a solution.

Thanks!

Hey Alicia, and Good Morning, just reading through the posts, thinking you've got some great ideas, Then I seen the picture of the Kong Toy that Christy posted,

kong squeezz stick italian kid 94.jpg
This toy gave me a great idea, Both Rocky and Rambo love to play with this toy, it has a squeakier inside of it, and the inside of this toy is hallow, so that you can put treats in it. Thinking Otto is teething, 10 weeks old, and looking for something to help get those teeth through…. Heres my idea, Put a cork in one end of this Kong Toy, Fill it with water, Then cork the other side of it, Freeze it in the freezer until solid. when Otto turns into a shark, reach in the freezer and give him this toy, First it's hard, chewable, second it's cold, and numbs his gums, gives takes some of the pain out of teething, third it will redirect his attention away from feet into something more comforting. Just an idea, and due to it melting, it may only last an hour or less, but something to sooth his mouth. This breed of pet loves Ice, most do anyway, Ice in the mouth on those tender gums is pain relief, thinking he may not take an ice cube, but that hallowed out Kong toy would be perfect, definitely worth the look into. Please let us know if you decide to try it, and how it works.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Hey Alicia, and Good Morning, just reading through the posts, thinking you've got some great ideas, Then I seen the picture of the Kong Toy that Christy posted,

View attachment 46268
This toy gave me a great idea, Both Rocky and Rambo love to play with this toy, it has a squeakier inside of it, and the inside of this toy is hallow, so that you can put treats in it. Thinking Otto is teething, 10 weeks old, and looking for something to help get those teeth through…. Heres my idea, Put a cork in one end of this Kong Toy, Fill it with water, Then cork the other side of it, Freeze it in the freezer until solid. when Otto turns into a shark, reach in the freezer and give him this toy, First it's hard, chewable, second it's cold, and numbs his gums, gives takes some of the pain out of teething, third it will redirect his attention away from feet into something more comforting. Just an idea, and due to it melting, it may only last an hour or less, but something to sooth his mouth. This breed of pet loves Ice, most do anyway, Ice in the mouth on those tender gums is pain relief, thinking he may not take an ice cube, but that hallowed out Kong toy would be perfect, definitely worth the look into. Please let us know if you decide to try it, and how it works.

Ingenious idea.

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
well this is normal but consistent redirecting is what you need to do. keep lots of chew toys handy and all your redirecting will essentially pay off when your puppy grows up and chews only his toys. we (Lola) loved the bacon flavored puppy chew fish from the nylabone brand. she went through two of those.

Awesome!! Thank you!

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Most of the bully's do this at that age, I know my Ace did. But they eventually get over it. A loud and sharp NO. Saying Ouch or yipping sometimes helps too. redirect as you are doing as well. An empty bottle with some pennies in it and shake sometimes get there attention. So get their attention by voice [shake bottle is an extension of voice] and physically move them from biting and give them something else to chew on. They want and need to chew on something cause they are teething and because they explore with their mouth. They like the taste and feel of their human moms and pops. It basically takes persistence, patience and willpower. Just remember its par for the course and this too shall pass. Your pup will get over it you just need persistence. Be stern but calm and in control they pick up on this. Whatever word you choose to get them to stop, stick with that word or you will just confuse them. So if its No or Stop, chose one word and stick with that word

Ok - do I say "Otto no!" or just "no!"

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto

Hi - do they only have a "small" size? I'm looking on Amazon now

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Just say no. Later to get the dogs attention, say if they are doing something else you don't want them to do you can call his name and say no. But when he is right by you nipping just say no

- - - Updated - - -

Just say no. Later to get the dogs attention, say if they are doing something else you don't want them to do you can call his name and say no. But when he is right by you nipping just say no

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
Rebel has done this since we brought him home, we always try and give him toys to redirect him and it works for the most part but i noticed now he will grab our shoe or a pant leg when we havent paid enough attention to him, hes a stubborn boy but we love him

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Hi - do they only have a "small" size? I'm looking on Amazon now

yeah but its as big as an adult hand....about 8 inches long I'd say. when she got to getting large pieces off, we'd cut off chewable ends and let her have a go again. toss when the tail and face are gone. it is purple and clear

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
We bought Sheldon a bone from Pet sense its purple and green (or yellow depending on who you talk to) and he LOVES those bones he carries them around with him and hides them.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
Ramsay used to have this problem. I found that consistency is key. Yipping when he bites and then walking away and ignoring him - they'll realize that if they bite, they'll get no love or attention! Of course redirecting and no's are good too, but I found the ignoring to be the best way to deter this behaviour!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.