Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
So recently my fur-babies have taken to chewing on rocks?!? I'm not sure what the reason is for this crazy new obsession :eek: but I am a little worried that they might swallow them which could lead to serious problems ... anyone else have experience with their bulldogs chewing on rocks? What did you do to stop it? It's not just one of them ... ALL 3 of them have started doing this :confused:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is obsessed with them too.... I have yet been able to stop her. I walk the yard and pick up what I see, but it does little to help as she also likes to eat dirt :wallbang:

I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has a good suggestion

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
My boxer used to do this. He would play with them like they were tennis balls!! He would toss them up in the air and then swallow them!! Luckily my dog had an iron gut and was able to pass everything from one end or the other!! Never did stop him from eating them but what helped was if we had lots of other toys in the yard for him to play with.

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Ha! Mine started choking on a rock at the breeders house when we walked out to leave. She stuck her finger down his throat and got it out. Put him on the ground and he took off after a leaf that had just fallen and tried to eat that too. I knew right right then I was doomed.....:laugh:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, congratulations you have a real bully. I have 2 EB siblings, a boy and a girl, they are now 15 months old. When I first brought them home as puppies My male Bulldozer started eating rocks, so far I've been able to take them out of his mouth when he has one, he lets me put my hands in his mouth and never bites me, so that's good. It just got better from there, outside he has eaten rocks, sticks, pinecones, leaves, paper, garbage, hunks of mown grass, and anything else he can find. Inside he's eaten socks, hot wheel cars, paper towel, plastic bag, his bedding, blankets, towels, and basically anything that's not nailed down. Lol. I've come to the conclusion he's a billy goat. I asked my vet, who has a bulldog of her own, and she said bulldogs are known for this behaviour and they either do it or they don't. She said she had taken a handful of rocks out of a bulldogs tummy. I've been lucky so far that I've been able to take stuff out of his mouth, or that he's been able to pass anything that he has swallowed. Luckily my female Blossom doesn't have this affliction, and she doesn't eat stuff, she's just food crazy. Lol

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
All the time. It's a constant struggle with Ace, he is always finding rocks or making them out of gnawing out portions of the patio where it reaches the yard. Have taken countless numbers from him and out of his mouth. When he was younger I could just go to him and pluck them out of his mouth, in the last couple of months or so it has become a game with him, he begins to chew and when I go to get them he wants to play chase. No telling how many he has eaten that I'm not aware of. Hopefully not many and not large but if he finds one it goes into his mouth. Other things as well, sticks, grass, bugs, frogs. But like you the rocks scare me. I do the best I can so if you come up with a sure fire cure please post it in a new thread in all caps

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie does this too. Not as much as she used to, but she does. Her outdoor diet consists mostly of leafs, sticks, and acorns. Acorns are the devil.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo started doing that at one point during his first summer with me. I have pathways all through my yard and gardens made out of river rock so there's an UNLIMITED SUPPLY if he wanted to start actually eating them. I disagreed with the behavior (TSSST! + bite with my hand Cesar style) each time he picked up a rock and made sure there were other things for him to chew on -- then redirect to a suitable chewing thing. At the time, it was a big stick I had in the yard. But I controlled that too -- the stick. Because I am the pack leader, all toys are mine and I let them play with them right? So the rocks, that stick and whatever else is out there is also mine.

They love to chew on sticks still and because its a pastime that I control, they see it as a treat. Often, we'll stop on our walk, sit down in the grass and I'll give them each a stick to chew on for a time. They're sitting there, calmly chewing it up so I can monitor for choking or whatever. For Bo, there's an additional lesson; he always wants Bea's stick. Always. Her stick is always better than his and he wants it so bad it kills him -- but he's not allowed to grab it. It's her stick! Yesterday, at the park, we were having sticks, sitting in the shade on the grass. Bo could NOT enjoy his stick. He wanted Bea's. So he had to sit there and watch her enjoy her stick. Which she did. Interestingly, when stick time is done, Bo will try to go quickly grab Bea's stick -- even though we are done with them and moving on -- like he's "Gotta win" sorta, you know? But I don't let him. Pack leader controls the toys. It's hard sometimes because he's soooooooo fast about trying to snatch that stick!

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Mayhem loves to chew on rocks too.......luckily we haven't had any issues with actually eating the rocks yet!

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunk chewed rocks during teething, so much that I was convinced he had PICA, the first three months I followed him around and took any non-edibles right out of his mouth!! I dunno if he got tired of me reaching in, but he stopped eventually!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We were spoiled with HRH because she doesn't try to chew or pick up anything she isn't supposed to have. It's another whole life now with Little Miss Amelia. Since our house is all plants and mulch she just can't stop eating both. Particularly the mulch as she passes a particularly delectable piece. I've gone fishing in piranha mouth more times than I can count already. So far though the rocks we've encountered haven't been an issue.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
LInus was the rock eater in our house ... he seems to have grown out of this .... :begging: ..... but he and Bella have a fascination for eating wood!!! :bitching:

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Are they rocks in your yard or everywhere?

It's just the rocks in our yard.

Sounds like this is a common problem so I will just continue to fish slobbery rocks out of their mouths and hope it's a passing phase!

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
So recently my fur-babies have taken to chewing on rocks?!? I'm not sure what the reason is for this crazy new obsession :eek: but I am a little worried that they might swallow them which could lead to serious problems ... anyone else have experience with their bulldogs chewing on rocks? What did you do to stop it? It's not just one of them ... ALL 3 of them have started doing this :confused:

Mine will find anything, master locks, bricks, rocks, and I caught him yesterday actually eating wood from the fence

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.