Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Hi,

Is there a forum for puppy care? We went to the pet store tonight in prep for our first day with Otto on Friday. (i think that will be his name) We got a collar made by Ceasar Milan... my husband owned a bulldog before and he said we should get a choke collar for small dogs to help train the puppy. I'm reading online that a choke collar should NOT be used on a puppy. I did take a dog obidience class for beginners that said you SHOULD use a choke collar... the RIGHT way. Anyone?!

Thanks so much!

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
There's a lot of people who don't like choker leads as it restricts breathing.
My boy wouldn't walk no matter how I tried. My friend gave me a training lead and I never looked back. He's nearly 1 now and he's got a k9 harness which he loves. A great harness that doesn't restrict breathing.

Hope this helps
J

Becky Zerkel Heft

May 5, 2013
There are many alternatives to choke collars. You defiantly want to be able to give corrections, but I would try other methods. Choke collars can cause damage. The first dog training class I went to the trainer wanted all the dogs to have prong collars. I find that verbal corrections when consistent are effective. I think it's better to train with positive reinforcement and redirection. Consistency is the key not the collar worn. I don't intend to sound pushy but I have a boxer who came to me with calcium deposits on her neck from injury sustained by a chock collar. :-(

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hi,

Is there a forum for puppy care? We went to the pet store tonight in prep for our first day with Otto on Friday. (i think that will be his name) We got a collar made by Ceasar Milan... my husband owned a bulldog before and he said we should get a choke collar for small dogs to help train the puppy. I'm reading online that a choke collar should NOT be used on a puppy. I did take a dog obidience class for beginners that said you SHOULD use a choke collar... the RIGHT way. Anyone?!

Thanks so much!

Did you get the "Illusion" collar? I've often wondered how that would work on an EB's thick, short neck!

Every puppy class I ever attended required participants/students to use a FLAT buckle collar for the puppies in the class. I use Martingale collars on my dogs now -- but when they were puppies - flat, soft buckle collars.
[MENTION=8771]Becky Zerkel Heft[/MENTION] is right re: positive reinforcement. You get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar. (and have a better time of it!)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Just say NO to choke or prong collars. No need for them, as most pus... especially bullies, are REALLY motivated by Food :)

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
All my experience with training a dog has been with a choke collar. I didn't use one with my yorkie as he just listened and didn't need much. I don't like prong collars but choke collars can be used if done correctly. Do what's best for you and your dog. If good motivates do that. If clicker training works do that.

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
The Caesar Milan one is actually called a "training lead"... its the same premise as the choke collar but it's not metal, it's made of a fabric. Are you referring to that type too? Thanks!

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Hi, do you credit the training lead with his walking success? Is it the same thing as a choke collar where you have to loop it a certain way?

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I prefer a well made prong collar, fitted corectly, and used correctly over a choke collar. for training only. Choke collars have far more potential for damage to the dog than a well made and correctly fit prong collar.

Last edited:

Becky Zerkel Heft

May 5, 2013
The Caesar Milan one is actually called a "training lead"... its the same premise as the choke collar but it's not metal, it's made of a fabric. Are you referring to that type too? Thanks!

I have that same lead. I have not used it on my bulldog but did to help with my boxer who reacts to any noise she hears while out walking. It is helpful. There is only one problem with it, when it is put on incorrectly it does not slack after a correction is made and basically stays way to tight way too long and gets tighter with each additional correction. When you put it on it should slack to you so when you pull it it tightens. If you walk with the dog on your left side, the lead should look like the letter P when standing behind the dog.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Both my girls have harnesses for when we go out in public. All training is done in the backyard with no collars or harnesses but lots of......bacon bits and homemade beef jerky. My girls will do anything for bacon bits and beef jerky. They do run around in the house like hooligans only because I let them but they know my voice tone when I mean business. I rely mostly on voice command the majority of the time and only train them on with the harness and lead for walking only. They also know they are going somewhere as soon as I breakout the harness and leads.....they get all excited, they don't know where they are going.....all they know is its time to go somewhere. lol I confused them lately putting bandanas on them, they weren't sure what was going on, they don't like clothes. Good luck.

stacyh

Jan 3, 2013
West Columbia, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bevo & Daxx
I would not recommend a choke collar for a bulldog puppy. I start mine on a comfort fit harness when I first get them and they do perfect. If you start them out very young you should have no problems. I have just purchased my 3rd EB puppy and he will be started the same way when we get him. I put a little harness on them when I first get them and it works like a charm. Good luck with your new baby!!!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I have never used a choke collar with Shelly Bean he has always responded better to positive reinforcement not saying all Bullies are like this but I am seeing on here that the majority has done the same. Follow your instincts as well that's what I did and it has bonded Shelly Bean and I.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.