General Question Aromatherapy for hyper bulldogs

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
We are still struggling with Rumble to understand the concept that he cannot jump up on us and bite us. We have been working with a positive reinforcement trainer since Rumble was about 3 months old and he just doesn't seem to get it. I have posted on here before about everything we have tried which includes using commands (no, off, leave it, etc.), yelping like a puppy, spraying water in the face, putting coins in a bottle and shaking it, keeping him on a leash inside the house at all times, time outs, etc. Nothing seems to phase him when he gets in these moods. Our trainer recently recommended trying a little aromatherapy to calm him down. It is a mixture she makes which includes things like lavender, almond oil and chamomile. She recommends either putting it on his bed or on a bandana around his neck. Has anyone ever tried this before? Am I crazy to try to resort to this? I just want some peace in our house again!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I saw Cesar use lavender oil on a Frenchie he was working with on his show once.. he put a little on the bottom of the frenchies bed in his "safe spot" in the shop he stayed at with his owners during the day.

He did say to only use a small amount on the underside of the bed because too much wouldn't be good with a dogs sense of smell being so much more acute than a humans.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I know Lavendor is suppose to calm them down, I use Baby shampoo on Rocky with Lavendor in it.... If it helps, I'll tell you when I shower each day, Once to twice a week, as I'm showering, Rocky will sneak into the shower with me, knowing full well he's going to get a baby shampoo bath when he does, the days he doesn't sneak in, he will sit right outside the shower and wait for me to finish... I've never had to struggle with Rocky for a shower, nor had to look for him anywhere, He likes his showers. What can I say, he likes to be clean and smell good like his Dad!! lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep -- lavender and as Lari stated... very little

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I've never heard of that but Jen used to put on jazz on her ipod when Bacon was younger and it would calm him down.

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I am happy to report that the aromatherapy helped Rumble out a lot. He went from jumping on the couch to bite us to jumping on the couch and licking us or bringing a toy up and chewing on it on our laps. This is so much better than the biting! From the sound of it, maybe just some lavender oil would work as well. [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] I could try jazz music but then I am afraid my husband may be the problem!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I am happy to report that the aromatherapy helped Rumble out a lot. He went from jumping on the couch to bite us to jumping on the couch and licking us or bringing a toy up and chewing on it on our laps. This is so much better than the biting! From the sound of it, maybe just some lavender oil would work as well. @Baconator I could try jazz music but then I am afraid my husband may be the problem!

haha notice I said Jen used to put on jazz to calm him down, we would have had the same issue

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've never heard of that but Jen used to put on jazz on her ipod when Bacon was younger and it would calm him down.

We put Jazz on when we go somewhere and Buster calms down instantly. When I work at home I put Jazz or Classical on and he goes to sleep right next to the desk. Music does calm the savage beast. Can't be anything hard or he's running around from room to room. LOL!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I am n ot sure because I use lavender on a regular bases for Amber and Ruby for insect repellent. My two are everything but calm.....Amber thinks she is part goat and climbs on everything. I have to get a youtube account so you guys can see some of the videos of Amber going across the diningroom table, climbing from the toliet to the sink to steal tooth brushes, she will even move a chair across the diningroom floor to get over to the kitchen counter tops. No chairs around the table unless we are at the house. So, lavender as a calming agent I am not sure of, maybe mine are immune to its calming effects.......

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I know Lavendor is suppose to calm them down, I use Baby shampoo on Rocky with Lavendor in it.... If it helps, I'll tell you when I shower each day, Once to twice a week, as I'm showering, Rocky will sneak into the shower with me, knowing full well he's going to get a baby shampoo bath when he does, the days he doesn't sneak in, he will sit right outside the shower and wait for me to finish... I've never had to struggle with Rocky for a shower, nor had to look for him anywhere, He likes his showers. What can I say, he likes to be clean and smell good like his Dad!! lol

LOL Sheldon likes having his teeth brushed right after his shower

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.