ok...I have reached the magic number and we are no better...

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
I had 6 months as my magic number for potty training. I kept hearing that at around 6 months they just "get it" and start to either signal to go out or realize not to go in the house. We have neither. I have been all over this housebreaking. I take him out every hour, after play, sleep, eating etc. I do not let him out of my sight in the down times and he is crated when we are gone(no accidents in the crate, I am only gone four hours tops). Of course in the seconds of down time when I have to go to the bathroom myself or turn my head... he goes in the house. He has NEVER made a motion to let me know he has to go out. I have bells on the door and take him there to ring them, say outside, give him a treat everytime we go outside. He gets treats and tons of praise when he goes outside. He was averaging only one accident a week but this week it has been every day. I have never never never had a dog so hard to housebreak. He catches onto EVERYTHING pretty fast. What am I doing wrong? Is there an end in sight?

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
wanted to add that we did not get him until he was 13 weeks and he had never even been outside. the breeder was using pads I think. could that be a factor?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I can only suggest that you crate him whenever you can't watch him every second even if you are only going to the bathroom yourself. Then as soon as he gets out of the crate he goes straight outside.

HRH has an iron bladder we think. She NEVER tells us she has to go. But we force her outside 3 to 4 times a day and she always goes. But she's 6 1/2.
Amelia is still not getting it when it comes to peeing in the house, but it has been probably two weeks since she :poo: in the house, so I'm hopeful we are getting there...but she's only 14 weeks old.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:bang: You poor thing...well..I'm going to give you my standard advice. Leash him to you at all times in the house. I know you THINK you watch him at all times..but take my word for it..you don't. The basic housebreaking should continue. Then...in the house you and he are Siamese twins! Where you go..he goes! IF....you need to go to the bathroom..tke him out first and right in the crate. Then when he comes out of crate..take him right outside..then back on a leash. You will be amazed what you don't see. Treat him like an 8 week old pup. I know this sounds horribly inconvenient...but compared to having him win and never be housebroken...it's nothing! It won't take long..a couple weeks! Praise him and give him a treat when he gets it right..If you catch him starting to go..a small jerk on the lead..your best stern no..and outside immediately.

You can do this..forget the bells..it will confuse him right now.

Last edited:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
:bang: You poor thing...well..I'm going to give you my standard advice. Leash him to you at all times in the house. I know you THINK you watch him at all times..but take my word for it..you don't. The basic housebreaking should continue. Then...in the house you and he are Siamese twins! Where you go..he goes! IF....you need to go to the bathroom..tke him out first and right in the crate. Then when he comes out of crate..take him right outside..then back on a leash. You will be amazed what you don't see. Treat him like an 8 week old pup. I know this sounds horribly inconvenient...but compared to having him win and never be housebroken...it's nothing! It won't take long..a couple weeks! Praise him and give him a treat when he gets it right..If you catch him starting to go..a mall jerk on the lead..your best stern no..and outside immediately.

Great advice! Good luck to you!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
You've gotten some great advice, few questions, is he always going in the same spot? What are you doing to treat the area after he goes to get rid of the ammonia smell? Is he having big accidents or is it just a small amount like he is marking?

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
he is not marking. he goes in different spots. I clean with a good pet cleaner. I will try the Velcro to me and see how it goes.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
You have some great advice; the only other thing I could add is......patience, patience, patience and consistency. lol; all puppies are different and there is no special day he will "get it" but it will happen. One day you will realize he hasn't had an accident in forever, that is the day you know he got it. I would also recommend (if possible) to keep him off any of the carpets, Amber didn't see the backside of the house for a while because every time she put her paws on the carpet it was like an instant reaching to squat. We are getting Ruby there but it is taking just the same amount of work. Good luck and keep the mop in the ready position.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
:bang: You poor thing...well..I'm going to give you my standard advice. Leash him to you at all times in the house. I know you THINK you watch him at all times..but take my word for it..you don't. The basic housebreaking should continue. Then...in the house you and he are Siamese twins! Where you go..he goes! IF....you need to go to the bathroom..tke him out first and right in the crate. Then when he comes out of crate..take him right outside..then back on a leash. You will be amazed what you don't see. Treat him like an 8 week old pup. I know this sounds horribly inconvenient...but compared to having him win and never be housebroken...it's nothing! It won't take long..a couple weeks! Praise him and give him a treat when he gets it right..If you catch him starting to go..a small jerk on the lead..your best stern no..and outside immediately.

:judges::judges::judges:

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
I did the bells with my pup and she caught onto it quickly and always rings them to tell me she has to go out. She's 7 months and doesn't have accidents in the house anymore. The only downside is that she knows the bells mean outside so she will occasionally trick me when she wants to just go out to play. ;-) We also did crate time whenever I couldn't absolutely watch her every move - even when I had to go to the bathroom. I think that really helped.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@erniesmom.... Jakeisgreat has you covered!! Good luck

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
wanted to add that we did not get him until he was 13 weeks and he had never even been outside. the breeder was using pads I think. could that be a factor?

Absolutely. He was taught that it's okay to pee inside. That's probably where the confusion is coming from. You'll have to go back to basics. I suggest crating whenever he's out of your sight (since he seems to understand that we don't potty in our crate) and maybe even keep a leash on him in the house to be sure he doesn't leave your side. The key is to catch him in the ACT of pottying in the house. If you just find it later on, he's already forgotten about it. When he's going (or attempting to go), say, "No" sternly and take him outside. Then once he goes outside, praise praise praise! Maybe even get better treats (or use little bits of cheese - something REALLY good).

Just be careful if he is pooping. Puppies have very little control of that once they start, so unless you want him to poo all throughout the house as you're trying to get him outside, it's probably best to tell him "no no no" and hope he stops on his own before bringing him outside.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online