Is he trying to assert himself with me?

Rachelle

May 12, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
Okay I have a question. It may or may not be a matter of one's opinion, or someone may have a good answer for me. I have my own theories, but I'm curious what others on here think of the situation.
So, basically, Kirby seems to be deciding to try and assert himself with me. That is at least one of my theories. Basically he will bite at me the most and also start barking at me for no "apparent" reason. I have done everything I know of to show him that I am in charge. When he bites at me I am redirecting to chew toys. When things get to be too much he has a little bit of his own time in his crate.
It seems like he gets over excited. I am the only one he still attempts to mount. I have never seen him go into these barking fits with my husband or any of my kids. My thoughts on this and the info I'm giving is kind of all over the place, so if anyone has a specific question in regards to his behavior, please feel free to ask or point anything out.

I'm really just looking for some ideas on what his deal is. Has anyone else dealt with this type of behavior?

As always, I like to include a pic of Kirby, he has that place in my heart =)

IMAG4733.jpg

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
What happens when he starts barking at you for no apparent reason? He just stops in the middle of the kitchen, looks at you and starts barking? What do you do next?

Where/how is he trying to hump you? Describe the situation.

OP
Rachelle

Rachelle

May 12, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
It can happen anywhere, but it does happen more when I am on the floor, which makes sense to me. Other times it can happen if I'm sitting on the couch, it's happened when I'm laying in bed. Usually what makes him start is if he's biting me and I've hollered OW at him, he reacts oddly to loud or "odd" noises.

I've hollered OW, or made loud noises to get his attention to stop the biting, he has never liked this. I do believe that was the first time he started a barking fit at me. He will basically just get this crazy look in his eye, go down on his front paws, run around and just continuously bark at me.

I have tried different things after he starts this trying to figure out what will make him stop. I have firmly told him no, placed him on his back, gotten up to sit on the couch. None of it makes him stop. He only stops when I resort to giving him quiet time in his crate for a few minutes. This is the only thing that gets him to calm down. Every time he comes out of the crate I always have him go outside to go potty first. When he returns, he is usually better.

The humping is always when I'm down on the floor. He doesn't get very far before I realize what he's doing, he gets a really good grip with his front part and I immediately know what he's getting at. It's either on my side, leg, or arm. That is something I know I can control better by not being on the floor as much, but I'd like to know why he feels like doing it to me?

If I need to elaborate any points let me know. Thanks for the reply!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I had this same problem with Bogey at about 5 months. He would get up on the couch and start humping me- he never did it with Ed though! At first I tried to ignore it, but it only became more persistant. He also did the barking and biting routine- that he did to both of us- it would start with a nip, and when he was reprimanded, it became "barking backtalk". I decided to nip it in the bud- when any unwanted behavior started, I would say a sharp "no" and if it continued or backtalk started, either I removed myself from him with my back turned or if it was really bothersome, he got a "time out" in his crate. That usually settled him right down. He HATES being isolated from us. I have even put his xpen in front of the couch so he could not get up with me. Once he calmed down, he was invited back up. Good behavior let him have the priveledge as long as he wanted. Bad behavior was immediate "off the couch". And yes, this bad behavior was worse if I got on the floor with him, so for a LONG time, I just did not do that. Now he is 8 months and I can sit with him on the floor or couch and no humping, no backtalk. If he starts to get out of control, all I have to do is put my hand on his xpen, and he stops dead in his tracks- "oooohhh I don't want to be isolated from mommy or daddy". Lots of persistance has definately paid off!! Hope this helps!

OP
Rachelle

Rachelle

May 12, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
Yes, that sounds like same type of situation. Very good way to put it, back talk makes sense. I'm hoping hes going through a similar attitude stage then and I will keep doing what I'm doing, and cut down my floor time. Thanks!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Back talk is common and I have to really keep myself from laughing when Otis does it - last night while I was lying in bed watching TV he began to whine so I got out of bed to try and pick him up to bring him to bed with me (yes, he sleeps with Mom and Dad...lol) and then it began - the chase me, I'll bite you (not hard, just bully biting and backtalk) if you grab me and so on, finally I said OUT and had to grab him by the collar and put him outside of my room and closed the door - I NEVER do that but his bedtime freak out session is really getting old. Good luck to you and Kirby, they are something else.

Bossy Boots

Feb 5, 2012
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Sounds to me he's wanting attention.Wants to play all the time.He's a young doggie too and needs to learn the rules in your household.This site has the best advice from people.Good luck with Kirby.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It can happen anywhere, but it does happen more when I am on the floor, which makes sense to me. Other times it can happen if I'm sitting on the couch, it's happened when I'm laying in bed. Usually what makes him start is if he's biting me and I've hollered OW at him, he reacts oddly to loud or "odd" noises.

I've hollered OW, or made loud noises to get his attention to stop the biting, he has never liked this. I do believe that was the first time he started a barking fit at me. He will basically just get this crazy look in his eye, go down on his front paws, run around and just continuously bark at me.

I have tried different things after he starts this trying to figure out what will make him stop. I have firmly told him no, placed him on his back, gotten up to sit on the couch. None of it makes him stop. He only stops when I resort to giving him quiet time in his crate for a few minutes. This is the only thing that gets him to calm down. Every time he comes out of the crate I always have him go outside to go potty first. When he returns, he is usually better.

The humping is always when I'm down on the floor. He doesn't get very far before I realize what he's doing, he gets a really good grip with his front part and I immediately know what he's getting at. It's either on my side, leg, or arm. That is something I know I can control better by not being on the floor as much, but I'd like to know why he feels like doing it to me?

If I need to elaborate any points let me know. Thanks for the reply!

He sounds like he's playing. That play bow thing? Playing. I would suggest no more playing on the floor or letting him up on the bed with you for now. It just gets him going. When he learns his place in the pack, you can do those things -- not until.

I would also suggest a routine of regular daily exercise. A good pup is a tired pup. He's less apt to find ways of entertaining himself if he's tired from the walk (Cesar Millan style) and other leadership activities designed to reinforce your position as pack leader.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.