Potty training questions

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Is it just me or are the males alot more stubborn about potty training. Duke goes out every 3 hours on the nose between me , my girlfriend , and the dog walkers. Christ almighty does he take his sweet time. He's doing really well only a handful of pee accidents in the house usually right after playing. Any advice on potty training a male? Duchess was soo much easier she would go to the same spot every time and on command. Duke I take to the same spots and its like he won't go in the same spots. Sometimes I have to keep him out 45 mins before he will go . Couple times he wouldn't go and as soon as we get upstairs- I live in a high rise- he will pee! Any suggestions would be great!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I hate to tell you this..Jake was the easiest pup to housebreak we ever had. He never had an accident in the house! :ohmy: But..honestly, I was probably trained and he just went along for the ride! Right after playing is one of the trigger times to take them out. 45 minutes would drive me nuts! I have a very good online dog magazine that helped me so much..with lots of things.. I will put a link to it.. Search through the topics..great stuff!

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/tpuppy.html

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm not going to be much help... Aubie is female and was easy to potty train. Now she goes and pees on command. We let her out, say "go potty" or "go tee tee" and she plops down and goes. Had you tried that spray stuff? They have some stuff you can spray where you want them to go, they even have a stake to put in the ground I think, and it supposedly smells and will help them go. Maybe choose a command to say, repeat it until he goes, then when he goes, say "good (potty, whatever)" and give a piece of kibble. Perhaps if he thinks he is getting rewarded he will go faster. Then you can wean him off of the treats when he gets it down pat. Just a few ideas from what we used with our dogs. The treat thing worked great with Aubie... Even got her scratching to go out very fast.

Most Reactions