Play time

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
So I have a friend who has a 6 month old Rottweiler, finally a dog that Walter can play with instead of the little dogs. The two boys get along great, lots os chasing and wrestling. The problem is Walter doesn't know when to stop. Hobey(Rottweiler) gets tired and wants to stop and just hang out but Walter wants to keep playing. I separated the two, alternating between one in the laundry room and the other one with free roam. Once they are separated they crash and are out like a light.

What can I do so Walter will leave hobey alone when he wants to crash? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
So I have a friend who has a 6 month old Rottweiler, finally a dog that Walter can play with instead of the little dogs. The two boys get along great, lots os chasing and wrestling. The problem is Walter doesn't know when to stop. Hobey(Rottweiler) gets tired and wants to stop and just hang out but Walter wants to keep playing. I separated the two, alternating between one in the laundry room and the other one with free roam. Once they are separated they crash and are out like a light.

What can I do so Walter will leave hobey alone when he wants to crash? Any suggestions are appreciated.

My honest opinion is Nothing, When Hobey gets tired of Walter, Hobey will let Walter know, until then, I would allow them to wear each other out. This is very much the same as bringing in a puppy with and Adult Parent, The Adult parent if left alone will teach manners and acceptability to the puppy, adjust it to the pack where it belongs, and when we as humans stop this interaction, then you have struggles for pack leader and structure, stress on the pets as well as us. I would definitely do nothing, and let them work it out. Thats my honest opinion.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
So agree with [MENTION=8699]Casper[/MENTION]! My daughter has a boxer/bullmastiff mix who is 2 years old. He and Bogey play soooo hard, and Elliot is so much kinder than Bogey! Bogey just won't quit, but when Elliot has had enough, he lets Bogey know. There are times I just take him away from the situation though, just to give poor Elliot a break!

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby

Sounds just like Tubby. He will be dead tired from playing but will not stop. The only way he stops is if we take him out of the situation or the other dog will snap at him and he kind of gets the hint.
-He's like the energizer bunny he just never stops. You would think we deprived him of playing and exercise but he just loves it. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it soon. I feel bad for the other dogs lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is the Bulldog way.... they do not know when to stop. Hobey has to let Walter know when he has had enough... otherwise, do as you do... seperate and give them a rest when you realize it is time to settle down

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It is the Bulldog way.... they do not know when to stop. Hobey has to let Walter know when he has had enough... otherwise, do as you do... seperate and give them a rest when you realize it is time to settle down

Yup. Bo will UNRELENTINGLY chase his "cousin" the Boxer, Olivia, until she's ready to scream and I'm ready to scream. He's RELENTLESS. Ollie is so passive that she won't tell him to stop so I must step in and simply "disagree with the behavior" that I don't like. I've found that separating them wasn't viable for a long term situation. What I wanted was two dogs playing -- and them both enjoying it and the people in the room also enjoying it. <== Mostly that last one. LOL Part of Bo's problem is that he's 2.5 years old. He has to "practice" this to get better at it and we only see Ollie two times a year so it's difficult for him to practice. If we saw her all the time, it wouldn't be an issue. He'd have learned a long time ago what behavior is expected when playing in the house.

OP
Walter323

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Thank you all for the help, its kind of what I was figuring. Walter also needs "practice". Everybody around us has small dogs and there aren't alot of big dogs for Walter to play with and learn. Hobey is also only around 2-3 times a year, but he is coming this weekend so hopefully all goes well.
2013-02-15_10-35-51_69.jpg
Walter has been preparing for Hobey though, getting lots of extra sleep!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
lol Walter is preparing for Hobey......too funny. That Walter, he's no dummy.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Maya (pitbull puppy) has so much energy and mack will.play with her until he throws up from breathing so hard, so I usually intervene and get them both to lay down after a while, or when I notice Mack breathing hard

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online