Thread: Play time

Bulldog(s) Names
    Walter
    Likes (Received)

Default Play time

So I have a friend who has a 6 month old Rottweiler, finally a dog that Walter can play with instead of the little dogs. The two boys get along great, lots os chasing and wrestling. The problem is Walter doesn't know when to stop. Hobey(Rottweiler) gets tired and wants to stop and just hang out but Walter wants to keep playing. I separated the two, alternating between one in the laundry room and the other one with free roam. Once they are separated they crash and are out like a light.

What can I do so Walter will leave hobey alone when he wants to crash? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Play time

Quote Originally Posted by Walter323 View Post
    So I have a friend who has a 6 month old Rottweiler, finally a dog that Walter can play with instead of the little dogs. The two boys get along great, lots os chasing and wrestling. The problem is Walter doesn't know when to stop. Hobey(Rottweiler) gets tired and wants to stop and just hang out but Walter wants to keep playing. I separated the two, alternating between one in the laundry room and the other one with free roam. Once they are separated they crash and are out like a light.

What can I do so Walter will leave hobey alone when he wants to crash? Any suggestions are appreciated.
    My honest opinion is Nothing, When Hobey gets tired of Walter, Hobey will let Walter know, until then, I would allow them to wear each other out. This is very much the same as bringing in a puppy with and Adult Parent, The Adult parent if left alone will teach manners and acceptability to the puppy, adjust it to the pack where it belongs, and when we as humans stop this interaction, then you have struggles for pack leader and structure, stress on the pets as well as us. I would definitely do nothing, and let them work it out. Thats my honest opinion.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

So agree with @Casper! My daughter has a boxer/bullmastiff mix who is 2 years old. He and Bogey play soooo hard, and Elliot is so much kinder than Bogey! Bogey just won't quit, but when Elliot has had enough, he lets Bogey know. There are times I just take him away from the situation though, just to give poor Elliot a break!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Walter323 View Post

Sounds just like Tubby. He will be dead tired from playing but will not stop. The only way he stops is if we take him out of the situation or the other dog will snap at him and he kind of gets the hint.
    -He's like the energizer bunny he just never stops. You would think we deprived him of playing and exercise but he just loves it. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it soon. I feel bad for the other dogs lol

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It is the Bulldog way.... they do not know when to stop. Hobey has to let Walter know when he has had enough... otherwise, do as you do... seperate and give them a rest when you realize it is time to settle down
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    It is the Bulldog way.... they do not know when to stop. Hobey has to let Walter know when he has had enough... otherwise, do as you do... seperate and give them a rest when you realize it is time to settle down
    Yup. Bo will UNRELENTINGLY chase his "cousin" the Boxer, Olivia, until she's ready to scream and I'm ready to scream. He's RELENTLESS. Ollie is so passive that she won't tell him to stop so I must step in and simply "disagree with the behavior" that I don't like. I've found that separating them wasn't viable for a long term situation. What I wanted was two dogs playing -- and them both enjoying it and the people in the room also enjoying it. <== Mostly that last one. LOL Part of Bo's problem is that he's 2.5 years old. He has to "practice" this to get better at it and we only see Ollie two times a year so it's difficult for him to practice. If we saw her all the time, it wouldn't be an issue. He'd have learned a long time ago what behavior is expected when playing in the house.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Walter
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for the help, its kind of what I was figuring. Walter also needs "practice". Everybody around us has small dogs and there aren't alot of big dogs for Walter to play with and learn. Hobey is also only around 2-3 times a year, but he is coming this weekend so hopefully all goes well.
    -2013-02-15_10-35-51_69-jpg
    Walter has been preparing for Hobey though, getting lots of extra sleep!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

lol Walter is preparing for Hobey......too funny. That Walter, he's no dummy.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Real Name
    Nikki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack
    Likes (Received)

Maya (pitbull puppy) has so much energy and mack will.play with her until he throws up from breathing so hard, so I usually intervene and get them both to lay down after a while, or when I notice Mack breathing hard

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Remove Ads