URGENT!!! need help! aggressiveness/bite

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
a few years ago both of my sons in a span of two months were attacked by two different pitbulls. One had his shots but was put down anyway because after I sent animal control the pictures of my son's leg where the dog ripped him from his bike, the county gave him a choice; pay thousands of dollars in fines, risk getting sued by us, and losing the dog anyway. They opted to put him down. The second dog was a stray and we never did find the dog. When I took my son into the er, the doc said it was up to me if I wanted my son to go through the painful series of rabies shots but in her opinion she wouldn't do it as in Michigan there had not been a documented case of rabies from a dog bite in over a hundred years. I opted not to put my son through that. I'm not sure about Indiana but that was the case here

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I found out that it bit the rescue persons daughter and husband right out of quarantine from biting a kid so with there being 2 other bites this year I am thinking I should be ok but im still going to follow up with my dr today to be safe. I didn't know about any previous bites so Im really starting to wonder about things right now.....

SarahD

May 13, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
I live in NWI, too. Unfortunately we've had students walking to or from school who have been bitten by dogs, and just like the ER/doctor's offices, school nurses are obligated by law to report the bites to animal control. Once we call, my understanding is that they contact the family regarding the bite. If no one has contacted you, I'd consider giving animal control a call. Busy ERs overlook things inadventantly all the time, especially some of the burecratic phone calls. It's not about "getting the dog or the handler in trouble," but I'd be concerned the dog will bite someone else with its history. Shots or not, it looks and sounds like you are having a huge amount of discomfort--if that can be prevented for the next person, it's worth a call. I hope you feel better soon!!!

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I went to my dr at 11 and he reported it to the humane society and then they had me go in cause they wanted to see the wounds too. Sounds like they are going to most likely euthanize the dog. I feel utterly horrible i broke down crying i dont want a dog killed cause of me. they said that they have to see if this dog is harboring any infections and what not because i do have a infection waiting to see if its in my blood or localized and also took samples of the fluid in the bites so my drs now how to treat me. I also have to see a surgeon this evening due to possible fracture and nerve damage also i have now lost feeling in part of the one finger. And my hand keeps going numb today then i have pain from my wrist to shoulder and pink lines on my one finger which has my dr thinking the infection is in my blood. i should find out at any time if it is or not and if i have to have iv antibiotics. Im a mess im scared for myself and feel so horrible about the dogs possible out come i keep breaking down in tears its like a horrible nightmare

According to animal control the dogs shots expired January 2012

Last edited:

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I am so sorry about this experience for you!! I had to make the decision to put our family pet down 3 years ago and it was heartbreaking. I found out to late that St Bernards are inbred here in Spokane and once they mature many turn aggreggisve from the sweeling in their brain. He bit one our nephew, who is a Dennis the Menace type, so we gave him a chance and kept him away from non-family kids. But then he attempted to attack my grandson and son-in-law and I took him the next day to be euthanized. Of course, I had long conversations with the local St BErnard rescue who refused to take him and she told me, "you know what you have to do." I hated being an adult that day. It is time for that rescue person to be an adult. Saving bullies is important but there is a point when this is not in the best interest of the bullie or rescue. I agree with [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION]. What is the prevalence of rabies in Indiana? And what was the name of this bullie? (Im me if you like).

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
Wowwwww.....my EBD just about takes my hand off if there's food involved, but otherwise doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. What I want to know is, why is it taking this owner/rescuer any time at ALL to get you the dogs vet records? I've worked in rescue for 10 years, and before we EVER bring a dog in public, he/she is 100% vetted, and temperament tested. Sometimes when people surrender their dogs- they'll say things like "my child was very rough with him, and he snapped at the child", which I usually understand, b/c I want to snap at most children when they bother me, too! Haha....
But, it sounds like this dog needs to go to a home where she'd be the only pet/child - and with a very patient owner. I really applaud you for not having the dog PTS immediately- she has got to be traumatized over something- I'm just sorry you (or anyone else) had to be the victim of poor discipline and training.
Did they give you a tetanus shot, or had you had one in the past? Make sure and get that if you haven't had it in the past 10 years....and just a heads up- the tetanus vaccine can make you feel TERRIBLE....it's unlikely that the dog had rabies, but better to be safe than sorry. I would INSIST on getting the veterinarians phone number and confirm for yourself what the dog has/has not had.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am at a loss on the whole thing right now. hell i had to get myself a stiff drink just to process what i was told about the dog this evening. I am so frustrated, stressed heck i dunno how i feel. I wish i wouldve known so i was aware to be cautious..... I was put on 2 antibiotics as a preventative.

You should be getting a tetanus shot at the very least and did the ER take x-rays to make sure there was no internal injury?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I went to my dr at 11 and he reported it to the humane society and then they had me go in cause they wanted to see the wounds too. Sounds like they are going to most likely euthanize the dog. I feel utterly horrible i broke down crying i dont want a dog killed cause of me. they said that they have to see if this dog is harboring any infections and what not because i do have a infection waiting to see if its in my blood or localized and also took samples of the fluid in the bites so my drs now how to treat me. I also have to see a surgeon this evening due to possible fracture and nerve damage also i have now lost feeling in part of the one finger. And my hand keeps going numb today then i have pain from my wrist to shoulder and pink lines on my one finger which has my dr thinking the infection is in my blood. i should find out at any time if it is or not and if i have to have iv antibiotics. Im a mess im scared for myself and feel so horrible about the dogs possible out come i keep breaking down in tears its like a horrible nightmare

According to animal control the dogs shots expired January 2012

OMG.... I posted too soon, did not read all the way through -- i was afraid of this which is why I asked about xrays. DO NOT blame yourself... it seems the pup was in the wrong environment and should have bee crated at the very least if the rescue knew everything you are telling us... they did not protect the bully or you or others.

HUGS and prayers to you for a quick recovery

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
OMG.... I posted too soon, did not read all the way through -- i was afraid of this which is why I asked about xrays. DO NOT blame yourself... it seems the pup was in the wrong environment and should have bee crated at the very least if the rescue knew everything you are telling us... they did not protect the bully or you or others.

HUGS and prayers to you for a quick recovery

I went to the bone dr/surgeon tonight i have a hairline fracture a perferated nerve, tendon damage, localized infection and blood infection. I am on 3 antibiotics now and pain meds he braced my finger I go back in one week. They also drained the wounds again this evening they are becoming blister like due to infection in the wounds.

The dogs name is Sissy. She is with finally home rescue in NWI. the owner and person who has the dog now admitted to not having shots up to date. according to animal control and her vet they expired january 2012 and was never redone. Also i guess this dog has bitten her, her husband and daughter and she got it after it got out of quarantine for attacking a 5 year old. I was completely unaware of its history and she is keeping its history quiet just saying it was abused along with the fact that it bit 2 people saturday. No one is aware of this except my friends and now you guys... She just put on the rescue page that it had a melt down and left it at that. I dont know what to think about it..... she is also not insured. sigh... its a complete mess. The dog is currently at hobart animal hospital on quarantine with euthanization suggested by animal control. so i dont know if they will euthanize or not. I didnt report this at first cause i didnt want the dog put down at all and still dont but with my infections and all dr said reporting it was a must so they can at least do blood work up on the dog to check for illnesses/infections that i could get. I did get a tetnus shot, and now 2 antibiotic shots.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am also now considering NOT fostering now. I was wanting to get into fostering but after this and seeing how fast a dog can turn without warning I am a bit fearful of fostering.... This whole situation has me pretty shaken up and reconsidering helping with rescues :(

I also found out she doesnt have a 501c3 is that a needed license for rescues?

SarahD

May 13, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
I live about a mile away from the Hobart shelter....This whole situation is sad, but mostly because it could have been AVOIDED. The dog really didn't "turn without warning," I don't think--it sounds like there was a person who misguidedly thought she was helping or saving the bullie by concealing the truth about her history and her propensity to bite. I don't have all the "facts," obviously, but I'm just at a loss as to how any rescue dog could have been behind on immunizations and then let out uncrated and mingling with the public at an event. The main thing is to take care of your health and well-being. I am so sorry to hear that this happened, to you and to the dog who was put into a situation where she was so likely to re-offend :nope:.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I live about a mile away from the Hobart shelter....This whole situation is sad, but mostly because it could have been AVOIDED. The dog really didn't "turn without warning," I don't think--it sounds like there was a person who misguidedly thought she was helping or saving the bullie by concealing the truth about her history and her propensity to bite. I don't have all the "facts," obviously, but I'm just at a loss as to how any rescue dog could have been behind on immunizations and then let out uncrated and mingling with the public at an event. The main thing is to take care of your health and well-being. I am so sorry to hear that this happened, to you and to the dog who was put into a situation where she was so likely to re-offend :nope:.

I agree it could have been avoided. she shouldve not been taken in public at all and been in the care of a behaviorist. I had no warning though when she bit me and i so wish i knew her history before i was bitten. but the person keeping her knew her history. I have logs from a little bit ago with her stating she didnt get the shots due to not being able to afford them. Also of knowing she bites cause she bit her daughter and husband, i asked her why she took her with her being aggressive and she said shes not she is just fearful and that she just didnt want people to be scared of the dog. I dont feel she had a right to hide that info especially with taking the dog out in public to events. From what i know now she has bitten around 6 times causing trauma. Just they were all this persons family until me and previous owners. previous owners reported it and had her quarantined and surrendered her which is where current person got the dog from. I think the current person bit off more than she can handle... It takes special people to be able to handle this type of behavioral issue and if a rescue cant afford shots i think they need to step back for a while and get financially secure.

Last edited:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You can not blame yourself at all for any of that happening. It may be an odd way to think of it but be glad it was an adult this happened with and not a child going through it (although it sounds as if this dog has already bitten a child in the past). It is irresponsible for a "rescue" to take a dog with a bite history who also is not up to date on shots, to a public event. That is a biggie on the list when a dog is incoming to a rescue anyway...update the vet work. I hope your hand heals fast but it sounds like a long road to travel to that. My thoughts are with you

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
don't give up on fostering. I haven't heard very good things about Finally Home. Please check with Indiana Bulldog Rescue. They are awesome!!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I went to the bone dr/surgeon tonight i have a hairline fracture a perferated nerve, tendon damage, localized infection and blood infection. I am on 3 antibiotics now and pain meds he braced my finger I go back in one week. They also drained the wounds again this evening they are becoming blister like due to infection in the wounds.

The dogs name is Sissy. She is with finally home rescue in NWI. the owner and person who has the dog now admitted to not having shots up to date. according to animal control and her vet they expired january 2012 and was never redone. Also i guess this dog has bitten her, her husband and daughter and she got it after it got out of quarantine for attacking a 5 year old. I was completely unaware of its history and she is keeping its history quiet just saying it was abused along with the fact that it bit 2 people saturday. No one is aware of this except my friends and now you guys... She just put on the rescue page that it had a melt down and left it at that. I dont know what to think about it..... she is also not insured. sigh... its a complete mess. The dog is currently at hobart animal hospital on quarantine with euthanization suggested by animal control. so i dont know if they will euthanize or not. I didnt report this at first cause i didnt want the dog put down at all and still dont but with my infections and all dr said reporting it was a must so they can at least do blood work up on the dog to check for illnesses/infections that i could get. I did get a tetnus shot, and now 2 antibiotic shots.

Wow, just a complete mess all the way around, if followed proper procedures,
common sense and concern for the bully and people...this many people being
bit NEVER should have happened, so sorry to hear of your terrible bite.

Please don't blame yourself for any of this, the bully being euthanized is the
best thing for all concerned including this poor bully. GOD bless all. :pray:

Most Reactions