URGENT!!! need help! aggressiveness/bite

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If i put this in the wrong place i am sorry.

I volunteered with a bulldog rescue to help with events. One of the dogs was there. She seemed very lovey dovey i was petting her and all and she seemed to love the attention then all of a sudden she clamped on to my hand, no warning and wouldn't let go. I added a pic of the bite... After biting me she bit someone else not even 10 minutes later. the handler seemed shocked that she did this and genuinely upset. I got bit around 12:30 and ended up going to the er around 3 due to still bleeding and extreme pain. its all puncture wounds one is worse than the other due to a small area being missing. I had to get liquid stitches in 4 of the wounds. One is still oozing this evening due to being a open wound. I was told that the dog has been abused in the past... and was up to-date on shots so i let it be.... well i just talked to someone who got the dog in the rescue and found out that the dog wasn't abused it was surrendered due to biting a 5 year old and causing trauma. So im kinda concerned now. Also i was told when it was surrendered its shots expired Jan.1st I have not seen proof of shots yet but i have asked for it. Should i be concerned of anything if the shots arent up to date? I am on bactrim and cleocin as a preventative. Im just wondering if i need to let my dr be aware of a possibility of the shots not being up to date? Wound wise it hurts like hell sorry for the bluntness lol... it goes from a numbing tingling (like it fell asleep) to severe pain clean to my elbow and in my whole hand. this is the first time ive ever been bitten so i dont know whats normal or what not...

Picture 002.jpg

btw this happenned yesterday

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ouch, wow she got you good. Dog bites are very painful because not only from the puncher wounds but from the trauma to the surrounding tissue. They also can get infected quite easily, so hopefully they gave you some antibiotics to take. As far as the shots go, that's a hard one. I think I'd ask your doc about that one. I would dought the bully has rabies, but you never know. You can also ask a vet about it as well and see what they say about it. So sorry you got bit and that bully has some major issues.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I'm sorry that this has happened to you, and I love my bullies to death, and I dont want to upset anyone, but I know these comments probably will.

Unfortunately, this dog sounds like a danger, and it can not be trusted. If this baby does not get immediate PROFESSIONAL help, I'm fearful for the outcome. Do not take 'someone's word' that its up todate on its shots (or not) you need PROOF for your own health, if there is ANY Doubt, then you must be treated as though the dog isnt vaccinated. Animals and people too ! are Vaccinated for reasons, just like this - to protect both the animals and humans. This dog needs to be quarantined immediately, before anything else, or anyone else is hurt.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I don't know about where you live byt here when a dog bites and you get treatment it is mandatory to report it. Also id the dog is utd on shots then they have to be quarantined at home if it is not utd it has to be quarantined either at the shelter or a vets office. I would persue rhis. Im sorry but after the dog bit tje first time it should have been crated. To let this happen a second time is negligence. Period. And considering the true history this dog never should have been in public anyway.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
what should i be concerned of if its not up to date? im still waiting for proof. should i let my dr know in the morning that theres a possibility it hasnt had its shots?

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am at a loss on the whole thing right now. hell i had to get myself a stiff drink just to process what i was told about the dog this evening. I am so frustrated, stressed heck i dunno how i feel. I wish i wouldve known so i was aware to be cautious..... I was put on 2 antibiotics as a preventative.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help, just sorry that you are going thru this. That is a pretty big bite! This pup definitely sounds like it should NOT have been in a public place.

grems423

Apr 1, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
Absolutely tell your MD ASAP that there is no proof of vaccination. You usually have a window of ten days for treatment of rabies. The dog should be quarantined and watched for signs and symptoms of rabies. Although the chance the dog has it is low, if it is infected rabies has a very high fatality rate if left untreated. More than likely you will have to follow up for IV antibiotics to treat the bite anyway. I received a bite in the same area and had to go to my MD daily for treatment for a week.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] I totally agree with you I know we don't like to think this way about bullies but not all the of them are sweet. Some are dangerous take Abram for example. And as happy as I am for abs new situation, if I ever get a call that I have to take him back or that he has bitten a child or anyone besides his new owner really., I Will have him put down. The sad truth is not all dogs deserve to take up rescue resources and not all dogs should be saved some bullies included. A dog that bites for non legitimate reasons is not a dog that needs to be saved. Take one that needs rescued and doesn't bite

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Alisha, I agree with everything David and RaRett said, those are questions best answered by your doctor.... In getting hold of the Rabies records is a must !!, I'm thinking you probably didn't get a police report etc, but have others that knew or seen the incident in which you were injured by the animal, just in case there is a need to file an afidavit later. Thinking this Pet needs to be held back from any type of socialization until a handle can be gotten hold by the owner, Handler, and feel it was very irresponsible of the handler Owner for it to happen the first time, and the second time it happened would have been a dead give away the owner handler had no business with an animal. What breed of Bull Dog was this? and your hand looks painfully hurt !! Ouch....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh my goodness that looks sore. You've got a lot of great information and advice from above members, and I agree you have to report this and follow up to make sure shots are up to date, and your doctor should be made aware that this is a possibility, so you get the proper treatment. My best friend has 3 dogs, and her dad and mom who are in their 80's have the brother to one of her dogs, they are Shihtzu mixed with something else. Her dads dog has always been really vicious and has bit her mom a few times, mostly a little nip, but no wounds and nothing serious. Last year the dog attacked her moms foot, and did quite a bit of damage to her skin. She had to go to the hispital, and was put on antibiotics. The doctor asked her whose dog bit her, and she lied at first because she was afraid they were going to take the dog away. The other problem with these dogs is that they don't beleive in vaccinations, vets, or medications, even for themselves.
They don't vaccinate their dogs, or themselves , and they cure everything holistically, naturally, and without medications. I don't agree with what they do, especially because they live in the country, and have a lot of wildlife, and I have seen fleas on them because they don't give them any medication for that either. I never bring my two guys around their house, because their dogs don't like other dogs, so that's my out and my excuse when they invite us up, but I would never bring them up there anyway. The doctor kept bugging them to give the dog up that bit her, so my friend ended telling the doctor the truth, she said her mom lied because she was afraid the dog would be taken away. The humane society stepped in and confiscated the dog for 3 weeks and quarantined him, plus they gave him all his shots, so he is the only dog who has been vaccinated. They did give the dog back, and they were okay with him being back at home , because they live in the country and they don't have many neighbours , and the ones that do live up there, their houses are so far apart from each other, and the dogs are only on their property, and when they have guests they are locked up. I can't imagine living with 4 dogs who fight with each other, and one dog who is so vicious even with his own family, but they don't have any small kids in the house, and nobody lives close by them, but how can you enjoy these pets? They are not abused, they have lived with them since they were puppies, and the only one the dog listens to and doesn't bite is her dad. Her dad loves this dog and won't give it up. The law here says you have to vaccinate your dogs, and if they bite anyone they have to be quarantined.

I hope you feel better, but make sure you follow up, and see your doctor. Put Polysporin cream on those wounds as well. I'm sorry you had to go through this. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Last edited:
OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks Guys. I think i know the vet she uses so if she dont get back to me im going to call them and ask if they can tell me if its had shots. And im going to make a follow up appt with my dr tomorrow to be safe. Ill let you guys know what happens.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Around here we can't take our dogs to events without a shot record. Wouldn't a rescue of all places know that would be a requirement? If it isn't it sure should be simply for the liability issues.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online