Marking or showing who is boss?

Mom2Daphne

May 29, 2013
PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Daphne
So we have had Daphne for 3 weeks- she is 1-2 yrs old and we are not really sure of her back ground. she pees on every blanket, mat, cushion, etc if ti is on the floor. she even has gone in her crate just to poop and then back to sleeping on the floor. at first we thought she was trained with the puppy pads or left in her crate all the time. we have made a lot of progress in the last 3 weeks, but she still continues to I think mark her territory. just tonight my husband was preparing to snuggle with her on the floor and sure enough she squatted and went pee on his hand that was on the blanket!!! what a little troll......... we are in the process of crate training and have removed her mat from the crate- no more pee in the crate for the last week. (we have removed every floor mat from the house. she is not allowed on the furniture, except for sleeping on my son's bed-she has not went pee on his bed ever (maybe this is a problem and confusing to her). 2 nights ago we all kind of passed out and she slept on the couch on the enclosed porch- she is not allowed on this couch. the next 2 days she went pee on this couch. any tips? what should I do when I discover the pee or catch her in the act? the same as you would if she was just peeing on the floor in any spot? we are trying to watch her like a hawk, but she is quick. sometimes she will even runa nd hide after she does the deed. she is a stinker, but we do love her!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
It is not unusual for bullies to pee on any fabric they can. My Frenchie sometimes does that. she won't go all the way outside in the rain. that time I have and acceptable absorbent mat I put down for her to use. I wonder if they're just too lazy to get up and go outside sometimes (I have a doggie door). I know when males mark they don't necessarily empty their bladder but I'm not sure about female marking. I use an enzyme remover in that laundry and they sell it to spray on furniture. It helps by removing the scent that tells the dog it's okay to pee there.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
BeBe was/is like that but is getting better... Mr. ADHD has started peeing in the house again too... Darn dogs i clean up with a bleach solution. . So days are good some.well we will just leave it at that.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
This is puzzling me, I'm thinking for Daphne to go into the crate, poop then walk back out is an indication she's been locked up in there long enough for her to be comfortable doing that. Pets usually wont poop or pee where they sleep, well rarely will they. When Rocky is doing something and I tell him no, it's like talking to the wall, My suggestion here is to use an aluminum coke can, put coins in it, tape the lid, when you shake the can it makes a very distinct sound, and really gets their attention. When Rocky's chewing on something I can say no, it doesn't phase him, When i shake the can, he's on his feet as if to say what??? what??? and I sternly tell him NO !! from this point if he does it a second time, he hears the can, Gets the stern voice of NO, and he gets in time out !! time out for Rocky is put into a spare room of my house with absolutely nothing in the room but 4 walls and himself. 5 minutes later of being ignored, when I open the door, he's sitting there with his head hung low, pouting.... This expresses my displeasure in his actions.... He gets the point then follows me around like my shadow again. One thing I commend you on is not punishing Daphne after the fact, She won't corralait the events.... Catch her in the act... and take the necessary action, Time out works for Rocky, he won't immediately go back to doing what he was doing to get put in time out. He often likes to get in my lap. and stretch over to the can and smell it, to know why it makes such a torrid noise, But I can sucessfully say the can with the coins in it breaks through the selective hearing Bullys are born with... Hope this helps.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
This is puzzling me, I'm thinking for Daphne to go into the crate, poop then walk back out is an indication she's been locked up in there long enough for her to be comfortable doing that. Pets usually wont poop or pee where they sleep, well rarely will they. When Rocky is doing something and I tell him no, it's like talking to the wall, My suggestion here is to use an aluminum coke can, put coins in it, tape the lid, when you shake the can it makes a very distinct sound, and really gets their attention. When Rocky's chewing on something I can say no, it doesn't phase him, When i shake the can, he's on his feet as if to say what??? what??? and I sternly tell him NO !! from this point if he does it a second time, he hears the can, Gets the stern voice of NO, and he gets in time out !! time out for Rocky is put into a spare room of my house with absolutely nothing in the room but 4 walls and himself. 5 minutes later of being ignored, when I open the door, he's sitting there with his head hung low, pouting.... This expresses my displeasure in his actions.... He gets the point then follows me around like my shadow again. One thing I commend you on is not punishing Daphne after the fact, She won't corralait the events.... Catch her in the act... and take the necessary action, Time out works for Rocky, he won't immediately go back to doing what he was doing to get put in time out. He often likes to get in my lap. and stretch over to the can and smell it, to know why it makes such a torrid noise, But I can sucessfully say the can with the coins in it breaks through the selective hearing Bullys are born with... Hope this helps.

Awesome advice thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.